Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 38,592 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a 21-year-old young lady currently living in Orlando, FL. My Dad is currently living in Fayetteville, AR, but he is having some health issues and I am considering moving out to be with him/help him out/etc. I have a couple of questions about Fayetteville in general:
How's the job market out there? I would be looking for something entry-level, as the only complete degree I have under my belt is my Associate's.
Traffic's not an issue - I live in Orlando right now - but how's public transportation? Is there any? Can I walk or bike most places or notsomuch?
Honestly, how's the weather? I'm originally a northern girl, but my fiance is a born-and-raised Floridian with snow being a completely foreign concept (tho he can take a little).
Is it an incredibly religious town? I don't mind a little, but I'm hardly a Bible-belter by nature. From what I've heard, Fayetteville is a rather liberal college town - I just wanted to make sure. :-)
And where would be a good place for two younger adults to live? (read: reasonable rent - we're 900/mo for a 3 bedroom apt right now, but we're looking for quite a bit less than that; family or younger neighborhood; opportunities to get involved in community organizations; etc.)
Also, one last thing - what sort of arts community is there? I understand it's a college town, but outside of the university are there any, say, community theaters?

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 15,535 times
Default Response to Darielsdove's questions about Fayetteville

How's the job market out there? I would be looking for something entry-level, as the only complete degree I have under my belt is my Associate's.

I think it depends on what field you are looking to get into. I think there are a lot of office admin type jobs available at an entry level if that is what you are looking for.

Traffic's not an issue - I live in Orlando right now - but how's public transportation? We have taxi's but I think they are pretty expensive. Pretty much every one has a car and drives themselves.

Is there any? There is a bus service but I think it's very limited. Here is the link http://www.ozark.org/RidingORT/home.html (broken link). Can I walk or bike most places or notsomuch? There are a few people who do only walk or ride bicycles but Fayetteville is very hilly and we probably have 3 months of very cold, snowy and icey weather (not for 3 months continuously of course).
Honestly, how's the weather? January we usually get one really big snow fall that shuts everything down for a day or 2 (I was snowed in for a week last year, but I live 30 miles out of Fayetteville). We got another snow around hte end of January into February that had a lot of school closings and I probably missed a day or so from that one too. In march it starts to warm up but we get snow in March too. April it warms up into around the 60's and starts raining into May. by the end of may we are in the 80's until the end of July and August where we are in the 90's and 100's. We can usually get by with jackets and sweaters until mid November when it starts dropping into the 40's and 50's. This year we got a snow fall in the beginning of December but we rarely have white Christmas's any more. All this is not to say that the weather is always like this. The only real constant about NWA (North West Arkansas) weather is that "if you don't like it right now wait a minute because it's bound to change". Which means you can walk out of the house with snow on the ground and by noon regretting that you wore a sweater, or walking out of the house with clear skys and by the time you've driven accross town torrential rain has flooded the roads, but when you reach the next town over about 15 minutes away it's like a desert. As I mentioned I live 30 minutes East of Fayetteville, and I am on a completely different weather pattern. Fayetteville can have a horrendous snow storm and I'll be sitting on my porch enjoying the cool crisp air without a snow flake in sight.

Is it an incredibly religious town? I don't mind a little, but I'm hardly a Bible-belter by nature. From what I've heard, Fayetteville is a rather liberal college town - I just wanted to make sure. :-) Fayetteville is liberal, much more so than the surrounding cities. Yes it is a religeous area. You'll be hard pressed to find any new age and alternative beliefs books at the Fayetteville Hastings (I don't even think they have a section for that anymore), and it wasn't very long ago that the local cable company didn't carry MTV because of the religious conservatives (I can't remember if that was Fayetteville or Springdale though).

And where would be a good place for two younger adults to live? (read: reasonable rent - we're 900/mo for a 3 bedroom apt right now, but we're looking for quite a bit less than that; family or younger neighborhood; opportunities to get involved in community organizations; etc.) I'll have to leave this to someone else as I haven't looked for apt's in that area for a very long time.

Also, one last thing - what sort of arts community is there? I understand it's a college town, but outside of the university are there any, say, community theaters? We do have the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville, there's the Arts Center of the Ozarks in Springdale, and the Roger's Little Theater. Those are the main 3 I can think of right now.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM

10 posts, read 38,592 times
Thank you so much, that was incredibly helpful.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 21,365 times
Lots of entry-level jobs available here, not much public transportation but an excellent trails system is underway for walking and biking. It is hard to manage without a car, but some people do. Rents are a bit less than what you're used to, but climbing. There is a New Age community here, and a very active arts community for a town this size. Typical college town, I'd say. The weather will be a little bit of a shock for a Floridian, but people from most parts of the country consider it mild. The previous response gave you a lot of data on that, so I'll stop there.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darielsdove View Post
Hi,
I'm a 21-year-old young lady currently living in Orlando, FL. My Dad is currently living in Fayetteville, AR, but he is having some health issues and I am considering moving out to be with him/help him out/etc. I have a couple of questions about Fayetteville in general:
Traffic's not an issue - I live in Orlando right now - but how's public transportation? Is there any? Can I walk or bike most places or notsomuch?
Honestly, how's the weather? I'm originally a northern girl, but my fiance is a born-and-raised Floridian with snow being a completely foreign concept (tho he can take a little).
Is it an incredibly religious town? I don't mind a little, but I'm hardly a Bible-belter by nature. From what I've heard, Fayetteville is a rather liberal college town - I just wanted to make sure. :-)
And where would be a good place for two younger adults to live? (read: reasonable rent - we're 900/mo for a 3 bedroom apt right now, but we're looking for quite a bit less than that; family or younger neighborhood; opportunities to get involved in community organizations; etc.)
Also, one last thing - what sort of arts community is there? I understand it's a college town, but outside of the university are there any, say, community theaters?

My granddaughter is a 21 year old senior at the University; yes, Fayetteville is more liberal than most places in AR and no, religion will not be pushed down your throat, but it certainly does appear in discussions from time to time.

AS for housing, I am sure you can find a nice apartment for under what you are paying now, probably closer to $600 per month especially if you consentrate on one of the small towns not right in Fayetteville.

Snow, don't worry, there really isn't that much cold and snowy weather, some, sure, but nothing like the true mid west or east.

Nita

Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,503 times
weather is very very mild, summer days are hot, but nights are cool, winters are chilly and windy and foggy spring is chilly. Check out this weather blog to find ou about the seasons http://nwaweather.blogspot.com

Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,002 times
Default dottsgood

Looking for a good place to retire. We really love Arkansas, esp. the Mountain Home or Fayetteville area. It is our understanding that the weather is mild but have also heard the the humidity is really bad. Any information would be helpful.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottsgood View Post
Looking for a good place to retire. We really love Arkansas, esp. the Mountain Home or Fayetteville area. It is our understanding that the weather is mild but have also heard the the humidity is really bad. Any information would be helpful.
That would highly depend on what you consider bad or what you're used to. If you're from Florida or the deep south then it's not too bad. But if you're from CA, the desert,or the upper tier states then maybe it'll be terribly stifling.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
It is very humid in the summer. I sometimes forget how humidity feels, i'll be here in seattle in june, it'll be like 70 degrees, not sweating at all feeling great. I head down to Fayetteville and i'm soaking wet when i get outta the car lol. If you ride with your windows down in your car you'll see condensation around your air conditioners, kinda neat . Fayetteville is very liberal compared to surrounding communities. However, growing up and living there for 18 years i can say religion was "forced down my throat" a lot. It happened quite often. I rememeber i was down there a couple summers ago visiting my friends and family. My friend and I were up on Mt Sequoyah(It is absolutly beautiful, with an awesome view of the town, one of my favorite spots on this fine Earth) late at night, and noone was around so it was very peaceful. Then this girl came up and was like "Hi....so do you guys believe in god?" "No I'm not looking for religion right now, but my family is religious and some of my family are pastors, so i know all i need to about it *smile*) but then....she keeps talking...and talking.....and telling us how we aren't right and that we must have god....and wouldn't leave us in peace...this went on for a long time. This type of thing is not uncommon, but it doesn't happen ALL the time. You'll find people in general pretty accepting though, just try to ignore those who would push religion on ya. Fayetteville is beautiful and comfortable, with generally friendly people. I little on the boring side, but some people like it that way, i know i love to escape city living there at least a couple times a year!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
It is very humid in the summer. I sometimes forget how humidity feels, i'll be here in seattle in june, it'll be like 70 degrees, not sweating at all feeling great. I head down to Fayetteville and i'm soaking wet when i get outta the car lol. If you ride with your windows down in your car you'll see condensation around your air conditioners, kinda neat . Fayetteville is very liberal compared to surrounding communities. However, growing up and living there for 18 years i can say religion was "forced down my throat" a lot. It happened quite often. I rememeber i was down there a couple summers ago visiting my friends and family. My friend and I were up on Mt Sequoyah(It is absolutly beautiful, with an awesome view of the town, one of my favorite spots on this fine Earth) late at night, and noone was around so it was very peaceful. Then this girl came up and was like "Hi....so do you guys believe in god?" "No I'm not looking for religion right now, but my family is religious and some of my family are pastors, so i know all i need to about it *smile*) but then....she keeps talking...and talking.....and telling us how we aren't right and that we must have god....and wouldn't leave us in peace...this went on for a long time. This type of thing is not uncommon, but it doesn't happen ALL the time. You'll find people in general pretty accepting though, just try to ignore those who would push religion on ya. Fayetteville is beautiful and comfortable, with generally friendly people. I little on the boring side, but some people like it that way, i know i love to escape city living there at least a couple times a year!
Even living in the area for 18 years I think now that you are in Seattle, you may see things quite different from others living in NW AR. As for humidity, yes, it is humid and hot to you, but for those who live further south the Fayetteville heat isn't bad. The religious thing that happened to you doesn't seem like the norm from what we have observed and from what my granddaughter and her friends say. No matter where you live you will get some who would love to preach to you. We had 2 different religious groups knock on our door just last week. She would probably left you alone if you had simply said "yes I do and I have my own relegion". No matter where you live if someone asks you if you beleive in God and you say know, you are going to get a lot of feed back.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers