Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,592 times

Advertisements

All,
My wife and I are taking the plunge and moving to NWA shortly after the first of the year in order to be closer to family. While my education and career options will likely require me to work in one of the more populated areas (Fayettevile, Bentonville, Rogers, etc.), we would like to find a place in the country, perhaps on some acreage. Can anyone recommend some of the smaller towns (i.e. Winslow) where we might look for such a property?
Thanks,
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheplains View Post
All,
My wife and I are taking the plunge and moving to NWA shortly after the first of the year in order to be closer to family. While my education and career options will likely require me to work in one of the more populated areas (Fayettevile, Bentonville, Rogers, etc.), we would like to find a place in the country, perhaps on some acreage. Can anyone recommend some of the smaller towns (i.e. Winslow) where we might look for such a property?
Thanks,
Justin
Justin, depending on your housing budget, there are several small towns that come to mind. It also depends on your likes, hobbies, overall views, etc. Here are a list of towns I would research:

Huntsville
West Fork
Farmington
Gravette
Gentry
Pea Ridge
Garfield

These are just for starters. My number one choice, if I were going to concentrate on a little rural would be Pea Ridge. I just love that place for many reasons

Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,542 times
I wouldn't really recommend Farmington. I don't live in Fayetteville, but Farmington basically appears to be part of Fayetteville, so it's not quite rural. Looking on Google maps, you may see Decatur. I don't recommend that town as it smells horrible nearly everytime I drive through. Personally, I'd go with Gentry or Prairie Grove.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I wouldn't really recommend Farmington. I don't live in Fayetteville, but Farmington basically appears to be part of Fayetteville, so it's not quite rural. Looking on Google maps, you may see Decatur. I don't recommend that town as it smells horrible nearly everytime I drive through. Personally, I'd go with Gentry or Prairie Grove.
oh my, we were just in Dacatur last week and there didn't seem to be any odor. As for Farmington, I think a lot has to do with just how rural the op is talking about and the budget. We do work with kids in Gravette, I love the little town and the kids, but it is also , for the most part working class. All depends on what one is really looking for. That is why I suggested so many rural towns. There isn't much difference between Dacatur and Gentry. I never even though about Prairie Grove. Hope the op takes all of our suggestions and does research.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh my, we were just in Dacatur last week and there didn't seem to be any odor. .
I see lots of chicken houses in the country around Decatur on google. When the wind is blowing just right....phew! I would not want to live near one.

There is also a feed mill right close to town....maybe feed mills stink? I dunno. I know that chicken processing plants do....we hit Clarksville just right on one of our trips....yuck! That's the only thing I can see wrong with Clarksville. Otherwise, it's a neat little town. Dardanelle is bad to stink also. Of course, some people would say it smells like bacon and eggs to them.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM

119 posts, read 243,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheplains View Post
All,
Thanks,
Justin
Check out Highway 45 between Fayetteville and Gentry

That's as bucolic as you can get

Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrush View Post
Check out Highway 45 between Fayetteville and Gentry.
Well, I would if I could find a Highway 45 between Fayetteville and Gentry.

I did find one between Prairie Grove and Stillwell, OK. It's definitely bucolic. Arkansas has so much "Sunday afternoon drives" material. You could spend years finding it all.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I see lots of chicken houses in the country around Decatur on google. When the wind is blowing just right....phew! I would not want to live near one.

There is also a feed mill right close to town....maybe feed mills stink? I dunno. I know that chicken processing plants do....we hit Clarksville just right on one of our trips....yuck! That's the only thing I can see wrong with Clarksville. Otherwise, it's a neat little town. Dardanelle is bad to stink also. Of course, some people would say it smells like bacon and eggs to them.
This could be very true, we have just never experienced it and have driven around the area many times, plus I think I mentioned, Decatur and Gentry are so close together it is hard to tell one from the other. I have found both nice small towns. Not living there I could be 100% wrong.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 AM

119 posts, read 243,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Well, I would if I could find a Highway 45 between Fayetteville and Gentry.

I did find one between Prairie Grove and Stillwell, OK. It's definitely bucolic. Arkansas has so much "Sunday afternoon drives" material. You could spend years finding it all.
My bad, I meant Fay and Goshen

Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrush View Post
My bad, I meant Fay and Goshen
Ok, I'll go "drive" it (via google street view). (*added* I just found a beautiful little neighborhood around a cute little lake off of that Hwy. 45 on the way to Goshen....it's called Lake Lucille. So pretty! Fayetteville is just a pretty town.)

That other one I mentioned is beautiful also, even with the old, grainy photos. It goes through a little town called Canehill, which has several big old houses and an interesting old church on the main drag....that's all that was available on street view.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 11-14-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers