Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,968,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
That says $520 and that's in Rogers. The nice thing about that area is it would be an ideal commute to your property. You could be there in about 20 minutes ( depending on how you drive) The Links also have a location on 102 which would be about the same same distance. Double Tree is really close to 62. I totally understand the alone thing. No worries.
It said $370. Something about the link must not have translated. My point is I'm fine with a drive. I love to drive. I just want to live cheap because an apartment is a failure of an investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,799,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
It said $370. Something about the link must not have translated. My point is I'm fine with a drive. I love to drive. I just want to live cheap because an apartment is a failure of an investment.
I know but keep in mind that most apartments are a year lease. That's why I was offering you a room is all. I own my house and getting ready to buy a condo. I'll either rent my house and live in the condo that I will own ( or half of it) and sell this place. My place is nice really and most of my money is in the attic, windows, roof, heater, and water heater. The condo ( or half of it) is bigger than my house by about three hundred feet. I love the location of the condo though but I will freak being a few minutes farther away from Fayetteville. But not everything here is both ways.. this place is too spread out with only 1-49 here being the major problem. If you get on at Mercy in Fayetteville, you'll know what I am talking about. That will be 45 minutes to an hour away from your property.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I know but keep in mind that most apartments are a year lease. That's why I was offering you a room is all. I own my house and getting ready to buy a condo. I'll either rent my house and live in the condo that I will own ( or half of it) and sell this place. My place is nice really and most of my money is in the attic, windows, roof, heater, and water heater. The condo ( or half of it) is bigger than my house by about three hundred feet. I love the location of the condo though but I will freak being a few minutes farther away from Fayetteville. But not everything here is both ways.. this place is too spread out with only 1-49 here being the major problem. If you get on at Mercy in Fayetteville, you'll know what I am talking about. That will be 45 minutes to an hour away from your property.
I thought mercy was in rogers. Am I all turned around?
I will heavily consider it once I move. My apartment is currently 3 month. 6 month. A year. Whatever I want. This is new to me. Right now I have a lot of ideas but no real info. The imbalanced stage before any meaningful action can take place as it were lol

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I thought mercy was in rogers. Am I all turned around?
I will heavily consider it once I move. My apartment is currently 3 month. 6 month. A year. Whatever I want. This is new to me. Right now I have a lot of ideas but no real info. The imbalanced stage before any meaningful action can take place as it were lol
Mercy is huge and all over the place but you might have to start in a different location. I don't really know how they work although I have a good friend that is an anesthesiologist at Mercy in Fayetteville. There is more hospitals/clinics than just Mercy as well. If a patient is very critical or it is based on sudden trauma, they are always flown to Little Rock. You'll just have to look at the lease options for the apartments but I was under the assumption that most here are standard at a year.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Mercy is huge and all over the place but you might have to start in a different location. I don't really know how they work although I have a good friend that is an anesthesiologist at Mercy in Fayetteville. There is more hospitals/clinics than just Mercy as well. If a patient is very critical or it is based on sudden trauma, they are always flown to Little Rock. You'll just have to look at the lease options for the apartments but I was under the assumption that most here are standard at a year.
Good to know. Yes, we got a nurse from Washington Regional at my hospital and she was surprised at the acuity of patients we typically treat on my stepdown unit. We deal with pressors, insulin drips, basically anything but a vent or fresh heart surgery, and every sdu nurse is crosstrained to work icu here. The only thing I don't take are fresh heart surgeries or balloon pumps or brain drains.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:37 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,390,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Doesn't Tyson employ lots of undocumented workers in their chicken plants? That's been the word on the street for some time now.
I can't say for sure because all I know come from family members and friends in the white collar part of the company. There will always be rumors, we would hope they are not true, but there is no way, for anyone of us to know for certain if they are true or not. bTW, to me they are illegals but I guess to some they are undocumented workers. That is, of course another story, for another posting.
Remember we will always hear rumors, just like the one, that Tyson's was cancelling Labor Day in favor of a religious day for Muslims. It turned out to be: they decided to offer a personal day to everyone, so if someone was a particular religion they could chose to take it off.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,796,596 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree that the population seems to dictate the condition of a WalMart. I live in a dump of a town right now, and our walmarts are dumps, but our Targets are very nice stores.

I have not lived in NWA, but I have observed NWA on my various visits, and there is a lot of animosity towards wal-mart up there. The wal-marts are nice, but they are trying to kill every form of competition off. They are going after Dollar General. They are going after your neighborhood grocery stores. They are going after EVERYONE by making a comparable product (Neighborhood centers. etc.) and running it under the corporate economy of scale. In turn, you are going to lose some utility if they succeed. I dislike the naming of their imposter stores various things in an attempt to distance them from "Wal-Mart" while at the same time trying to muscle out the stores they are impersonating. It just seems dirty, and I can tell you right now it is going to hurt if they "win".

How would you like it if there were no private or small restaurants? Only Brinker, Taco Bell, and a few other chains? No dive bars. Just alcohol dispensing stations owned by one chain? I view it as the same, and I don't like it.

Now, do "I hate wal-mart"? No. But I don't have to like everything about how they are, either. How they make their employees/vendors stay away from each other, the crazy infighting and politics at home office, etc. etc. etc.

Overall, though, to an outsider, I view Wal-Mart's presence as a positive for the NWA area. They are a MASSIVE factor in keeping the region stable during economic down turns.
I don't think they are going after any particular stores. When they opened their store in Pea Ridge, the Dollar General there took a hit, as did the Fred's store, and the Marvin's grocery. But Dollar General and Fred's are picking back up. Even the grocery store is picking up a little. Here's the thing, though, every person I know has a story about Marvin's. About walking in and seeing rotting food that was dripping, and about picking up a bag of flour, that was priced twice what a bag of flour was priced at groceries in Rogers and Bentonville, and that was YEARS past its expiration date. Frozen products that when you opened them were filled with mold. And the prices weren't just high, they were often 50% - 100% higher than what you would pay, even at the Marvin's store in Lowell. Even the weekend that the Neighborhood Market opened, Marvin's was offering a special on fresh ears of corn. The fresh part wasn't supported by the gray corn placed front and center in the produce department.

When Wal-Mart comes to town, and older stores go out of business, the reason isn't that Wal-Mart did it to them, it's that customers RUN from a store that's been ripping them off for years simply because it was the only game in town. And let's be honest, as well, these stores weren't paying princely salaries to their employees, they weren't offering benefits. The Wal-Mart store offers benefits. And what they pay is consistent with the retail industry.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,796,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't say for sure because all I know come from family members and friends in the white collar part of the company. There will always be rumors, we would hope they are not true, but there is no way, for anyone of us to know for certain if they are true or not. bTW, to me they are illegals but I guess to some they are undocumented workers. That is, of course another story, for another posting.
Remember we will always hear rumors, just like the one, that Tyson's was cancelling Labor Day in favor of a religious day for Muslims. It turned out to be: they decided to offer a personal day to everyone, so if someone was a particular religion they could chose to take it off.
Tyson gets a lot of scrutiny from the federal government, so I think they are pretty careful about verifying people and their social security numbers and other identification. I think it's the smaller poultry companies in the area that have a problem with illegals. I've personally witnessed two raids at such companies. At one of them, the neighboring business I was at was locked down by the government agents, no one could leave or come in, and from the windows we watched people sneaking out of the poultry processing business, running and trying to hide from the agents. We were detained for a couple of hours, while they loaded people onto buses.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think they are going after any particular stores. When they opened their store in Pea Ridge, the Dollar General there took a hit, as did the Fred's store, and the Marvin's grocery. But Dollar General and Fred's are picking back up. Even the grocery store is picking up a little. Here's the thing, though, every person I know has a story about Marvin's. About walking in and seeing rotting food that was dripping, and about picking up a bag of flour, that was priced twice what a bag of flour was priced at groceries in Rogers and Bentonville, and that was YEARS past its expiration date. Frozen products that when you opened them were filled with mold. And the prices weren't just high, they were often 50% - 100% higher than what you would pay, even at the Marvin's store in Lowell. Even the weekend that the Neighborhood Market opened, Marvin's was offering a special on fresh ears of corn. The fresh part wasn't supported by the gray corn placed front and center in the produce department.

When Wal-Mart comes to town, and older stores go out of business, the reason isn't that Wal-Mart did it to them, it's that customers RUN from a store that's been ripping them off for years simply because it was the only game in town. And let's be honest, as well, these stores weren't paying princely salaries to their employees, they weren't offering benefits. The Wal-Mart store offers benefits. And what they pay is consistent with the retail industry.
Good post. Designers don't go out of business, they re-invent their product. As to people, people have to either re-invent their life or not make any choices. The results are the same, whether it's a business or personal. As to Marvins, I have been to the one in Bella Vista occasionally. Also, I wanted to make a note on the new Wal-Mart pick-up grocery. When they bring your order to your car, you have to inspect the produce or you don't buy it. As far as the comments here about Wal-mart stores being nasty the farther out you get from Bentonville, I would say those stores need face-lifts and are loosing money. People really want a Trader Joe's here, but Trader Joe's is just loosing money buy not being here. No sweat/their loss.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Very solid points. I must agree, there are plenty of crappy small businesses that Wal-Mart pushes the way of the blue suede shoe, and to good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers