Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 01:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Rubi, the reason I'm comparing them is because they're only 100 miles apart and one is growing fast (NWA) and one is not growing nearly as fast (Tulsa.)

The census keeps track of metro area populations. NWA's population is now a metropolitan area (MSA). I think it's very logical to compare the two and ask what's going on.

I guess I can partly answer my own question. NWA has a lot of retirees moving in due to the beauty, lakes, etc. But this only explains part of it...
NORTHWEST ARKANSAS METRO AREA HISTORY
Past annual average unemployment rates:

2013: 5.7%
2012: 5.6%
2011: 6.2%
2010: 6.4%
2009: 6.2%
2008: 4.1%
2007: 3.8%
2006: 3.6%
2005: 3.3%
2004: 3.8%
2003: 3.7%
2002: 3.3%
2001: 3.0%
2000: 2.9%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
thanks, nmnita. I might do that re: posting in the OK section.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I've been feeling like the population of NWA has gotten to the point of critical mass where it's beginning to grow just from existing families getting older and staying in the area.

In economics, there is a phenomenon known as the money multiplier that can take a while to work its way through the system and I think all the relocations for jb hunt, tyson and walmart injecting money into this area over the past 10-15 years has really lit the growth for NWA for the foreseeable future.

a simple example: all these people have to eat and get their haircut, establishments are opened to satisfy the demand, jobs are created which drives housing demand and daycare, schools, banks.... it just keeps snowballing.

The growth in this area has been amazing.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I've been feeling like the population of NWA has gotten to the point of critical mass where it's beginning to grow just from existing families getting older and staying in the area.

In economics, there is a phenomenon known as the money multiplier that can take a while to work its way through the system and I think all the relocations for jb hunt, tyson and walmart injecting money into this area over the past 10-15 years has really lit the growth for NWA for the foreseeable future.

a simple example: all these people have to eat and get their haircut, establishments are opened to satisfy the demand, jobs are created which drives housing demand and daycare, schools, banks.... it just keeps snowballing.

The growth in this area has been amazing.
I talked to a gal in the hot tub the other day. She has lived here for about 15 years I think, maybe 20. When she moved to NWA there were 125,000 people in the region. We have now passes 500,000. I don't know if this is good or bad. The bad thing is, we are losing some of the charm and simplicity of living in a rural area: the pros are, we do have a lot to offer and still there is so much open space, you don't have to live very far from a main drag to feel like you are living in the country. The only serious problem I have witnessed and this is just me: over crowded schools or long bus rides for kids and traffic during rush hour,

Old 12-24-2014, 02:05 PM

41 posts, read 66,854 times
I've lived in Tulsa and OKC. If you looked at urbanized growth, the Fay-Spr-Rog MSA has plenty. True, it lacks a traditional "urban" core, but plenty of the area meets the USCB definition. The story is pretty short - NWA has a healthy balance of white collar and blue collar opportunities and an unpredictable amount of synergy about it. Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Sand Springs, Owasso are all very different cities and they lack any sense of true regionalism. Whether its the ORT, trail system, or the U of A, I'm not sure - but we have a good balance of city identity and regionalism in NWA. It is a special place that is unrivaled in many ways.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker1 View Post
I've lived in Tulsa and OKC. If you looked at urbanized growth, the Fay-Spr-Rog MSA has plenty. True, it lacks a traditional "urban" core, but plenty of the area meets the USCB definition. The story is pretty short - NWA has a healthy balance of white collar and blue collar opportunities and an unpredictable amount of synergy about it. Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Sand Springs, Owasso are all very different cities and they lack any sense of true regionalism. Whether its the ORT, trail system, or the U of A, I'm not sure - but we have a good balance of city identity and regionalism in NWA. It is a special place that is unrivaled in many ways.
NWA is becoming more diverse all the time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers