Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 PM

9 posts, read 13,346 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving from Oregon to Fayetteville in January. I would like to get a container/containers delivered to my driveway, load them myself, and have them shipped to the new place. I've been getting quotes. So far I have gotten quotes from PODS, U-Pack, and 1800Packrat. I don't want to pay through the nose, but I am more concerned about my posessions being ruined, after reading some pretty scary reviews.

According to some reviewers, some companies throw the containers around so much that the contents bounce around like bingo balls. Sometimes a hole gets poked in the roof of the container, and water gets in, soaking everything. One company, when it rents you a truck trailer, will open up your trailer and stuff it with commercial goods to haul alongside your stuff. (Which some reviewers saying their possessions were stolen this way.)

What other companies should I get quotes from, and do you all have any opinions on any specific companies, or personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:50 PM

98 posts, read 161,351 times
im moving and getting a POD. more expensive than a uhaul. pod is running us over 2 grand, but that is the bigger size 16 foot pod and we're moving 3000 miles so dont know if that is a factor. uhaul was cheaper, but we didnt want to drive all of our stuff

but yea ive heard that when you go with using tractor trailers that they put other people belongings or commercial items right in the SAME area as your stuff. um no thanks.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 PM

62 posts, read 217,841 times
I've posted to CD several times on this topic. We used 2 U-Pack ABF freight trailers on a cross country move and could not have been happier.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I want to avoid having anyone else accessing my stuff as it travels. I'm moving a very long way, too. I have driven a moving truck long distance, before. I had to tow my car. It was extremely stressful. I could not back up the moving truck, because of the trailer. Some gas stations were in very hard to maneuver places. But I think traveling over the mountains worried about black ice was the worst.

This time I want to take a fun road trip, while someone else hauls my stuff.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,531 times
Just curious --what part of Oregon? Because we are moving from Fayetteville to Eugene in about six months!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 AM

991 posts, read 1,220,324 times
With the ABF u-pack service, after you pack your stuffz you put up a wooden barricade and it's locked with your padlock. Yes theoretically somebody coyld get in, but I don't think anybody really wants your stuff (unless you are shipping piles of cash). Also I think most facilities these days have security cameras, so the workers know they're always being watched. So any other commercial freight is separated from your stuff by the wooden wall. Also they don't mix haz mats, or other nasty stuff, with household shipments.

One caution though, most of these companies only provide 10 cents per pound insurance for damages or loss. If you have anything at all valuable, you need to buy additional insurance. Otherwise that $50,000 antique armoire that weighs 500 pounds is only going to be worth $50.00 !!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_pants View Post
Just curious --what part of Oregon? Because we are moving from Fayetteville to Eugene in about six months!
Portland, Oregon.

I'm sorry I disappeared for so long. I am a few weeks away from the move, and it is bearing down on me! I ended up picking PODS. Somehow, the prices seemed pretty comparable.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 PM

Just FYI the move went very well. Some of my furniture took it pretty hard, but mostly due to my husband putting packaging tape on wood finish while I wasn't looking. I remember something broke, but it was just one mug. The only thing that got lost was an item we packed in the car, and nothing valuable or sentimental. PODS did a good job, except before my move it was difficult to get them to answer me straight about truck clearance. I won't bore you with the details of that.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 PM

573 posts, read 580,591 times
I'm glad the POD service worked for you. I was about to post some news stories from people who lost all of their stuff due to the PODS people just dropping the POD off in front of their new home and arriving to find the lock broken and the POD empty. I am glad this didn't happen to you however I will always U-Haul my stuff to be on the safe side though it is a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers