Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:42 PM

207 posts, read 443,366 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We previously lived in NWA and are thinking of moving back or maybe to Texas. We are in Missouri now and it's too cold with too much crime, as well as too expensive, here so we are trying to decide where to go that is the best 'fit' for us.

First of all, we are on a very tight budget. We work from home and need good internet access as well as the lowest rent possible. Our last place in NWA was a little over $600 for a 2BR AND that included utilities (before that we had one for $450 plus for a 2BR).

We are also a homeschooling family, are into natural health (so we need access to good health food stores and chiropractors, etc.), we are Republican (with a slight Libertarian streak sometimes), we are musicians (so we would like access to restaurants and other family-friendly places to perform occasionally as well as songwriters groups), and we would like to eventually have a small hobby farm and raise chickens, dogs, etc. We would like to also have access to midwives fairly easily who attend home birth if possible.

We had issues with mold in apartments in NWA but are worried we might have that in TX as well. We can't afford somewhere like AZ (and the lack of water out west concerns us). We looked at OK but are worried about tornadoes. I know in AR the homeschool laws are different as you have to report and test.

Do you think we should move back to Northwest Arkansas or would Texas be a better fit for us? I know nmnita on here has lived in TX and relocated to NWA - anyone including mnita have any suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited by movingagain2012; 02-01-2015 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
We have lived in both Texas and NWA. We would take AR anyday, partially due to cost of living and partially due to whether. It is, of course colder here, but the summers are nicer.

As for the price of apartments, I can't answer that, nor the mold problem. We haven't heard much about mold, but I am sure it does exist here as well as in Texas. It seamed to be everywhere in Texas.

Hopefully others will jump on board and give you some ideas. I do know there are a lot of kids being home schooled in AR and we are adding more health food stores all the time, but, as you know they can be pricey.

As for midwives, yes, they certainly exist around here. The guy who does our home improvements, as well as works for both of our daughters, is expecting. They are using a midwife.

Politically, much of the area is Republican, with many of us leaning Libertarian.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
You know what to expect from NWA.

Re: internet--Talk to Cox and find out what they're coverage range is in NWA. We've had Cox internet for years and have had one issue early on. I think we have the mid-range service and have not had a problem when all the family is here and we're using wifi for laptops, ipads, iphones, etc.

Re: mold--Fayetteville has lots of underground springs. This could affect mold. I run a dehumidifier parts of the year in my basement.

Re: rent--you may have to look outside the major cities. Consider Johnson, Greenland, Farmington, etc. But remember to check your internet access/coverage before narrowing your housing location.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hi everyone,

We previously lived in NWA and are thinking of moving back or maybe to Texas. We are in Missouri now and it's too cold with too much crime, as well as too expensive, here so we are trying to decide where to go that is the best 'fit' for us.

First of all, we are on a very tight budget. We work from home and need good internet access as well as the lowest rent possible. Our last place in NWA was a little over $600 for a 2BR AND that included utilities (before that we had one for $450 plus for a 2BR).

We are also a homeschooling family, are into natural health (so we need access to good health food stores and chiropractors, etc.), we are Republican (with a slight Libertarian streak sometimes), we are musicians (so we would like access to restaurants and other family-friendly places to perform occasionally as well as songwriters groups), and we would like to eventually have a small hobby farm and raise chickens, dogs, etc. We would like to also have access to midwives fairly easily who attend home birth if possible.

We had issues with mold in apartments in NWA but are worried we might have that in TX as well. We can't afford somewhere like AZ (and the lack of water out west concerns us). We looked at OK but are worried about tornadoes. I know in AR the homeschool laws are different as you have to report and test.

Do you think we should move back to Northwest Arkansas or would Texas be a better fit for us? I know nmnita on here has lived in TX and relocated to NWA - anyone including mnita have any suggestions? Thank you!
Nita is not the only one that has lived in Texas. I think you already know that $600 won't go far in both states. You certainly can't raise chickens in an apartment complex.. hence your move to MO. It certainly sounds as if your plan didn't work out. Also, I know what a midwife is from Websters but I usually go to "Doctors". But it is cheaper isn't it? I think MO is your best bet.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
There are places in and around central and south Texas that meet some of your priorities, which might offer the more "dry" weather you are seeking. Ten years ago I would have suggested the San Marcos area, but the Austin sprawl isn't letting up anytime in the foreseeable future.

Everything out into the Hill Country is getting priced out of reach, too. And the traffic heading into Austin from the hills is getting worse every year.

You might look into Fredericksburg or that general area. Comal County would have been a good choice 20 years ago, but I just don't see anyway it isn't swallowed whole by sprawl in the next 15 years.

I take Northwest Arkansas over Central Texas today. I might have felt differently 20 years ago.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Nita is not the only one that has lived in Texas. I think you already know that $600 won't go far in both states. You certainly can't raise chickens in an apartment complex.. hence your move to MO. It certainly sounds as if your plan didn't work out. Also, I know what a midwife is from Websters but I usually go to "Doctors". But it is cheaper isn't it? I think MO is your best bet.
Hi thegreenflute334,

Yes, I know $600 (actually $625-650) isn't a huge budget, but honestly I was shocked at the prices in TX having been from other parts of the South. Obviously I can't raise chickens in an apartment...the farm thing would be much later. I moved to MO temporarily to visit family and it is more expensive here than NWA, especially near Kansas City and St. Louis. MO was never my plan at all - my family is here but it is not for me, at least the northern part. I'm not sure what you are referring to with "But it is cheaper isn't it?".

Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
There are places in and around central and south Texas that meet some of your priorities, which might offer the more "dry" weather you are seeking. Ten years ago I would have suggested the San Marcos area, but the Austin sprawl isn't letting up anytime in the foreseeable future.

Everything out into the Hill Country is getting priced out of reach, too. And the traffic heading into Austin from the hills is getting worse every year.

You might look into Fredericksburg or that general area. Comal County would have been a good choice 20 years ago, but I just don't see anyway it isn't swallowed whole by sprawl in the next 15 years.

I take Northwest Arkansas over Central Texas today. I might have felt differently 20 years ago.
Thank you, Rock Climber, so much for this! I am finding the same thing in my research. I have read that Austin is pricing many of the musicians out of the area, and that is sad to me since the live music is a lot of the reason people are attracted to Austin in the first place.

One of my family members just moved away from the Austin area, and their spouse killed 3 rattlesnakes in their backyard in the suburbs. They also found mold in their (expensive) rental house, so my thoughts of Austin being a possibility are fading fast.

I left NWA because I am from a big city (Memphis) and I was worried that NWA would be too small - not enough jobs and other opportunities. However, sometimes a change of view is good temporarily to help decide where you might best belong, and I am starting to appreciate NWA more every day. The last time we drove up from TX I noticed they had built a lot more there, and they also have the new amphitheater for music acts. I am beginning to agree more and more with your last line.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
You know what to expect from NWA.

Re: internet--Talk to Cox and find out what they're coverage range is in NWA. We've had Cox internet for years and have had one issue early on. I think we have the mid-range service and have not had a problem when all the family is here and we're using wifi for laptops, ipads, iphones, etc.

Re: mold--Fayetteville has lots of underground springs. This could affect mold. I run a dehumidifier parts of the year in my basement.

Re: rent--you may have to look outside the major cities. Consider Johnson, Greenland, Farmington, etc. But remember to check your internet access/coverage before narrowing your housing location.
Thank you OurGreatEscape! Yes, I have learned to avoid basements and sunken apartments there The internet there was always pretty good except in the areas really far out that were not in the Cox service area. I will keep those towns in mind.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have lived in both Texas and NWA. We would take AR anyday, partially due to cost of living and partially due to whether. It is, of course colder here, but the summers are nicer.

As for the price of apartments, I can't answer that, nor the mold problem. We haven't heard much about mold, but I am sure it does exist here as well as in Texas. It seamed to be everywhere in Texas.

Hopefully others will jump on board and give you some ideas. I do know there are a lot of kids being home schooled in AR and we are adding more health food stores all the time, but, as you know they can be pricey.

As for midwives, yes, they certainly exist around here. The guy who does our home improvements, as well as works for both of our daughters, is expecting. They are using a midwife.

Politically, much of the area is Republican, with many of us leaning Libertarian.
Thank you nmnita! I am starting to agree with you, more and more... It is colder there, but not as cold as a lot of MO. I think the summers are nicer there than TX too.

I am finding a lot of issues with mold in TX from reading rental sites online, as well as word-of-mouth stories. That was part of what I had hoped to avoid with TX being somewhat drier. However, as I have read in some of your previous posts, even 'dry' areas like NM aren't immune from mold issues - even if they don't have mold issues, some people develop allergies there.

Yes, the health food stores can be pricey. We don't shop there for everything - only certain items - but it is great having them nearby!

I am starting to think we were correct the first time when we originally moved to the area, but sometimes you have to leave a place to realize that it just might be 'home' to you, you know? I have heard it said that 'The grass is greener, but the water bill is higher'! Haha!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
I feel like Fayetteville gets better every year we are here. We were downtown this weekend for dinner and drinks and I was just amazed at how packed-full and busy every last watering hole was, on such a cold night. I read some of your previous posts, so I'll remind you that Natural Grocers is opening up in Fayetteville this month. Whole Foods will open this summer on College Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers