Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That doesn't mean that all West Virginia semi-finalists scored lower than New Jersey semi-finalists. It means that a smaller, poorer state had a lower cut-off score. But it's quite possible for a West Virginia semi-finalist to out-score every New Jersey semi-finalist.
True, it doesn't mean that EVERY NJ semi-finalist outscored EVERY WV semi-finalist, as I'm sure there were some WV semi-finalists who outscored some NJ semi-finalists. However, I'm sure that there were several perfect scores in NJ (there always are in most states), so I don't think there is any one person in WV who outscored EVERY semi-finalist in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
True, it doesn't mean that EVERY NJ semi-finalist outscored EVERY WV semi-finalist, as I'm sure there were some WV semi-finalists who outscored some NJ semi-finalists. However, I'm sure that there were several perfect scores in NJ (there always are in most states), so I don't think there is any one person in WV who outscored EVERY semi-finalist in NJ.
Statistically speaking, it's unlikely that a student in WV out-scored EVERY semi-finalist in NJ, but unlikely and impossible are two different things. The lower cut-offs actually represent the graduating classes' percentage state/national, because that number reflects lower population and poverty statistics.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:23 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofsnow67 View Post
So are you saying that the students in Arkansas have to clear a lower bar than, say, Illinois or New Jersey, and they still have fewer national merit semi finalists? Did I get that right?
It's not exactly that students have to clear a lower bar per se as there is no specific threshold or bar set each year before the test is taken. Everyone goes into the test not knowing what the bar is. In other words, a person in Mississippi doesn't go into the test and say, "Great, I only need a 205 to become a semi-finalist" while a person in Massachusetts says, "Okay, I need a 225 to become a semi-finalist." Instead, the cutoff is determined after the test results are in.

However, it is true that the cutoff is determined on a state by state basis rather than as a country overall (I'm guessing because otherwise, semifinalists would overwhelmingly come from higher-income, higher-educated states). So, a student in Mississippi who is a semi-finalist is in the top 1% IN HIS STATE and a semi-finalist in Massachusetts is in the top 1% IN HER STATE. In other words, semi-finalists do not necessarily represent the top 1% in the country because the tests scores that represent the top 1% in some states is higher than the test scores that represent the top 1% in other states.

So in Massachusetts, it might mean that students need scores of 222 and above in 2013, 221+ in 2014, and 224+ in 2015 (numbers are just examples) to become a semi-finalist. However, in Mississippi, it might mean to become a semi-finalist, you need scores of 207+ in 2013, 205+ in 2014, and 206+ in 2015 (again, numbers are made up).

Clear as mud?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM

73 posts, read 126,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's not exactly that students have to clear a lower bar per se as there is no specific threshold or bar set each year before the test is taken. Everyone goes into the test not knowing what the bar is. In other words, a person in Mississippi doesn't go into the test and say, "Great, I only need a 205 to become a semi-finalist" while a person in Massachusetts says, "Okay, I need a 225 to become a semi-finalist." Instead, the cutoff is determined after the test results are in.

However, it is true that the cutoff is determined on a state by state basis rather than as a country overall (I'm guessing because otherwise, semifinalists would overwhelmingly come from higher-income, higher-educated states). So, a student in Mississippi who is a semi-finalist is in the top 1% IN HIS STATE and a semi-finalist in Massachusetts is in the top 1% IN HER STATE. In other words, semi-finalists do not necessarily represent the top 1% in the country because the tests scores that represent the top 1% in some states is higher than the test scores that represent the top 1% in other states.

So in Massachusetts, it might mean that students need scores of 222 and above in 2013, 221+ in 2014, and 224+ in 2015 (numbers are just examples) to become a semi-finalist. However, in Mississippi, it might mean to become a semi-finalist, you need scores of 207+ in 2013, 205+ in 2014, and 206+ in 2015 (again, numbers are made up).

Clear as mud?
It sounds like affirmative action.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
In response to your other post.. You need to clarify "city" in your first post.

The option is private school ( which you can't afford) or Arkansas school. I never once talked to you, except for one post. Your attitude is unexceptionable. The confederate flag has been flown since the civil war and all of a sudden, it's a eye-sore. I don't care what you think about it, it's a part of history. Look it up. There were men that fought and died on both sides and their deaths are completely meaningless, now aren't they? In fact, I don't know why you're even bringing-up the civil war. I don't even think there was a war? Weren't those men just playing bingo or something?

My last post to you.
Your attitude is objectionable. That was your last post to me? -- WINNING!!!

Old 09-16-2015, 12:01 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Your attitude is objectionable. That was your last post to me? -- WINNING!!!
The correct term is "Won" ( smiley face goes here- on phone)

Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I Will continue my soapbox if I want with or without your permission. Are you the new moderator for this forum or somthing?

Yes, you put down the public schools just now, but comparing the number of merit scholars in Bentonville to where you came from and telling us how poorly your son did in the old school district and how well he did on the tests here. If that isn't putting down a district down what would? Of course what do I know? I live in Bella Vista and you have already informed us, Bella Vista isn't in the Bentonville school district. I guess you rezoned the district cause last I knew the city is split between Bentonville and Gravette? I think my great granddaughter would lke to know the school she attends is not in Bentonville district anymore.
I am aware that Bella Vista is split between Bentonville and Gravette (your district). My point was that YOU do not reside in Bentonville's school District. I found it absurd that I needed to clarify my opinions on the school district my children attend to somebody that does not live in the district. I also realize that your great granddaughter living in the Cooper attendance zone makes you a staunch supporter of that school. Is your great granddaughter currently a student at Cooper? US News has Bentonville High School ranked #2 in the state and #888 in the nation -- I think that is pretty good, not great. If our children returned to their former public schools in our suburb of Chicago, they would probably be a full academic year behind their peers. And, sadly, we could no longer afford our old neighborhood because the housing market has exploded and we have lost our foothold. And I believe it will take us a while to sell our house in NWA.

And, why yes, I am the new moderator for this forum and on behalf of the good people at City-Data (fine people from Hinsdale, IL -- a suburb of Chicago with EXCELLENT public schools!), kindly get off of your soapbox. They have also asked me to let you know that you shouldn't be using this forum to discuss what you are making for dinner and treating these threads like your own personal social media page. And less smile icons, more spellcheck.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I am aware that Bella Vista is split between Bentonville and Gravette (your district). My point was that YOU do not reside in Bentonville's school District. I found it absurd that I needed to clarify my opinions on the school district my children attend to somebody that does not live in the district. I also realize that your great granddaughter living in the Cooper attendance zone makes you a staunch supporter of that school. Is your great granddaughter currently a student at Cooper? US News has Bentonville High School ranked #2 in the state and #888 in the nation -- I think that is pretty good, not great. If our children returned to their former public schools in our suburb of Chicago, they would probably be a full academic year behind their peers. And, sadly, we could no longer afford our old neighborhood because the housing market has exploded and we have lost our foothold. And I believe it will take us a while to sell our house in NWA.

And, why yes, I am the new moderator for this forum and on behalf of the good people at City-Data (fine people from Hinsdale, IL -- a suburb of Chicago with EXCELLENT public schools!), kindly get off of your soapbox. They have also asked me to let you know that you shouldn't be using this forum to discuss what you are making for dinner and treating these threads like your own personal social media page. And less smile icons, more spellcheck.
Attacking my spelling is unnecessary: I am dyslxic which I have explained on other occassions. As for spell check my new computer hasn't told me where spell check is yet. Maybe someday it will. As for the new moderator, well what do you know, you have a moderator that is playing like just a poster. Maybe you need to tell CD to let us know we have a moderator?

I referred to the school district controvery when you said Bella Vista was not Bentonville schools. Yes, I do live on the west side and no, we are not Bentonville schools. I don't make cliams I can not back up like some do.

Now, I think I will wander over to the food forum and discuss my dinner menu, then read where people want to go on their next vacation. Who knows where else I am going to post something today? Certainly I will no longer respond to your comments. I have more important things to do, like visit with friends, continue to do volunteer work in the community and generally enjoy life here in NWA. Sorry about all the smiles moderator: can't help myself.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I Will continue my soapbox if I want with or without your permission. Are you the new moderator for this forum or somthing?

Yes, you put down the public schools just now, but comparing the number of merit scholars in Bentonville to where you came from and telling us how poorly your son did in the old school district and how well he did on the tests here. If that isn't putting down a district down what would? Of course what do I know? I live in Bella Vista and you have already informed us, Bella Vista isn't in the Bentonville school district. I guess you rezoned the district cause last I knew the city is split between Bentonville and Gravette? I think my great granddaughter would lke to know the school she attends is not in Bentonville district anymore.
Quote:
Attacking my spelling is unnecessary: I am dyslxic which I have explained on other occassions. As for spell check my new computer hasn't told me where spell check is yet. Maybe someday it will. As for the new moderator, well what do you know, you have a moderator that is playing like just a poster. Maybe you need to tell CD to let us know we have a moderator?

I referred to the school district controvery when you said Bella Vista was not Bentonville schools. Yes, I do live on the west side and no, we are not Bentonville schools. I don't make cliams I can not back up like some do.

Now, I think I will wander over to the food forum and discuss my dinner menu, then read where people want to go on their next vacation. Who knows where else I am going to post something today? Certainly I will no longer respond to your comments. I have more important things to do, like visit with friends, continue to do volunteer work in the community and generally enjoy life here in NWA. Sorry about all the smiles moderator: can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsglow13 View Post
I know this is late responding, however, I would like to mention that there is not alot to do here for the kids. You would have to travel to Bentonville or other surrounding area. There are beautiful places in Bentonville, country settings. Please look at all areas. Kids are very important. It was suggested to the POA to make Bella Vista more kid friendly, but there was no response given.

I don't know what your problem is with Bella Vista, but you certainly have one and you don't seem to be aware of what really is going on right now. Yes, I agree, Bentonville is more family friendly but when you say POA has closed their ears to family friendly suggestions, you obviously do not attend the meetings nor do you know about the future planning committee that is actively involved in the future on Bella Vista...There are plans for a new elementary school on the west side and probably an additional one on the east side, the activities at Cooper elementary are on going, the summer life at the parks are constant, complete with swimming, tennis, picnics, day camp, etc. Every church has activities for kids, a different activity each wekk and it isn't open to just members, nor is there a push for families to joint the churches. Blowing springs has family activities contstantly during the summer months. If golf is discontinued at Branchwood, the center will. most likely be turned into a family activities center. So what more do you think is needed? No, the POA, is not geared to exclude families.

Nita

Here is a fine example of your not-so-tactful (and snarky) responses. Shall I find more?

Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsglow13 View Post
I know this is late responding, however, I would like to mention that there is not alot to do here for the kids. You would have to travel to Bentonville or other surrounding area. There are beautiful places in Bentonville, country settings. Please look at all areas. Kids are very important. It was suggested to the POA to make Bella Vista more kid friendly, but there was no response given.

I don't know what your problem is with Bella Vista, but you certainly have one and you don't seem to be aware of what really is going on right now. Yes, I agree, Bentonville is more family friendly but when you say POA has closed their ears to family friendly suggestions, you obviously do not attend the meetings nor do you know about the future planning committee that is actively involved in the future on Bella Vista...There are plans for a new elementary school on the west side and probably an additional one on the east side, the activities at Cooper elementary are on going, the summer life at the parks are constant, complete with swimming, tennis, picnics, day camp, etc. Every church has activities for kids, a different activity each wekk and it isn't open to just members, nor is there a push for families to joint the churches. Blowing springs has family activities contstantly during the summer months. If golf is discontinued at Branchwood, the center will. most likely be turned into a family activities center. So what more do you think is needed? No, the POA, is not geared to exclude families.

Nita

Here is a fine example of your not-so-tactful (and snarky) responses. Shall I find more?
I've reported you. You have a problem with the civil war, and people in general ( mostly think people are stalking you) and I see no star by your name. There are a total of 5-7 posters on the Fay, Rogers forum- total. Get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers