Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 05:15 AM

120 posts, read 305,855 times

Advertisements

Good morning- I have been lurking for awhile. I have a couple of questions about your area.
I am relocating as a result of a job transfer to your area in the spring of 2016. No kids, older single woman, so schools not an issue.
Where or how would I find a reasonably priced apartment? Just something basic and small, prefer a small house with a yard, prefer not to live in an apartment complex, but realize my options may be limited.
I have 2 older well-behaved dogs. How difficult will it be to find a rental in a decent area; I expect to put down a pet deposit as needed.
What areas should I be looking in to eventually buy a home- small, older cottage/ranch with a large yard, maybe 1/2 acre or so, must be a safe area, good neighborhood. I would like to be close to food market but do not want to be in a suburban type housing development.
Is there any public transportation?
Are there any big cost of living or cultural differences between Fayetteville, Springdale, Bentonville?
In the event of semi-retirement in a few years, I assume that Fayetteville will offer the best options for part-time or temp work to bring in a little bit extra cash?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlmc2 View Post
Good morning- I have been lurking for awhile. I have a couple of questions about your area.
I am relocating as a result of a job transfer to your area in the spring of 2016. No kids, older single woman, so schools not an issue.
Where or how would I find a reasonably priced apartment? Just something basic and small, prefer a small house with a yard, prefer not to live in an apartment complex, but realize my options may be limited.
I have 2 older well-behaved dogs. How difficult will it be to find a rental in a decent area; I expect to put down a pet deposit as needed.
What areas should I be looking in to eventually buy a home- small, older cottage/ranch with a large yard, maybe 1/2 acre or so, must be a safe area, good neighborhood. I would like to be close to food market but do not want to be in a suburban type housing development.
Is there any public transportation?
Are there any big cost of living or cultural differences between Fayetteville, Springdale, Bentonville?
In the event of semi-retirement in a few years, I assume that Fayetteville will offer the best options for part-time or temp work to bring in a little bit extra cash?
Thank you!
Well, let's just say, I have a friend that posts here from time to time. She has one dog, a lab mix and had a lot of trouble finding something decent with her dog. There were places available but they usually got swooped up in a matter of hours after becoming available. She is now living in Rogers. You will have better luck finding a small house as finding an apartment that will take 2 dogs. You say reasonable: what does that mean to you? Everyone has his/her own ideas.

I really don't think Fayetteville is a better place when thinking about part time work. A lot has to do with what type of work you will be interested in. Actually Bentonville and Rogers would have part time jobs available as well, In fact all the areas in NWA would work.

The biggest difference in cost of living will be rentals; demographics or cultural differences are as follows: Fayetteville has seniors and middle aged people, single and married, but remember it is still a college town: Bentonville is a mixture, with lots of familes: Springdale is the least expensive, a cross mixture of ages, and a very high % of Hispanics and Marshallites. Bella Vista used to be strictly a senior community, but is now becoming a cross section of young families and seniors. The cost of property is a little less in Bella Vista and the city has a very high standard of living.

As for finding a small home, not the typical suburban run of the mill home, almost every city has some that would work for you, but when I think of small bungalow stypes I think Rogers and Bentonville.

Public transportation: for the most part it isn't.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
your preferences are a little disjointed for our area. Yes we do have public transportation, but the routes are limited. Do a search for ozark regional transit to find the routes if you want to live near one.

I always tell people to get a 50cc scooter and forgo the bus and motor vehicle registration but understand that's not always a feasible way of getting around.

If you don't want to live in a development, you can always buy one of the older homes that are not part of a community that has the HOA charges and restrictive covenants. Such homes can put you outside of a bus route but you can always walk to the bus stop.

what is reasonable? when I first moved here with my northeast mindset, I thought $300k was reasonable but having lived here for 2+ years I now feel that $135k is reasonable.

Yes you can buy a mobile home for less than $70k but there is no protection in the event of a tornado.

I would love to buy a 15+ acre property and put a double wide on it with a storm shelter and a personal gun range but these things don't interest my wife or my kids.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, let's just say, I have a friend that posts here from time to time. She has one dog, a lab mix and had a lot of trouble finding something decent with her dog. There were places available but they usually got swooped up in a matter of hours after becoming available. She is now living in Rogers. You will have better luck finding a small house as finding an apartment that will take 2 dogs. You say reasonable: what does that mean to you? Everyone has his/her own ideas.
Not what I wanted to hear, but this is absolutely what I needed to know. Sounds like a lot of rentals may go through word of mouth rather than advertising. I plan on visiting a few times prior to the move, so will work on building up contacts with real estate agents, becoming familiar with the area and rental market, and leaving additional time to find housing.

Quote:
I really don't think Fayetteville is a better place when thinking about part time work. A lot has to do with what type of work you will be interested in. Actually Bentonville and Rogers would have part time jobs available as well, In fact all the areas in NWA would work.
I am curious- I would have thought that Fayetteville would have more employment options, but a quick check through employment agencies did indeed show a majority of openings in both Bentonville and Rogers. This is good though because it broadens out my housing options. While I am open to commuting while I am still working full-time, I won't want to drive much if at all once I semi-retire.

Quote:
The biggest difference in cost of living will be rentals; demographics or cultural differences are as follows: Fayetteville has seniors and middle aged people, single and married, but remember it is still a college town: Bentonville is a mixture, with lots of familes: Springdale is the least expensive, a cross mixture of ages, and a very high % of Hispanics and Marshallites. Bella Vista used to be strictly a senior community, but is now becoming a cross section of young families and seniors. The cost of property is a little less in Bella Vista and the city has a very high standard of living.
I was originally interested in Fayetteville because of the college town environment offering more employment and cultural opportunity. As well, I have generally found college towns more open and less clique-y due to the transient population. Where I live now in a medium-sized city in the upper midwest it is a very closed social environment- everybody knows everybody else; if you weren't born here or related to another family local to the area or didn't go to school here it is very difficult to make friends and be accepted. I really want to be part of a community, feel involved and accepted, and feel that I can put down roots.
I am adding Bella Vista to my list!
What is a Marshallite?

Quote:
As for finding a small home, not the typical suburban run of the mill home, almost every city has some that would work for you, but when I think of small bungalow stypes I think Rogers and Bentonville.

Public transportation: for the most part it isn't.
I am going to take a closer look at Bentonville.
I was hoping for a good public transportation system since I would really like to be as car-less as possible once I retire, but I may need to revise my expectations.

Thank you nmnita for all the great information; I am in the early part of this process, and of course plan on making several trips to visit to become familiar with the area, but you have helped me define my options and given me a lot to think about. Much appreciated!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
What is a Marshallite?

Someone from the Marshall Islands. Generally they are called Marshallese. Northwest Arkansas has the largest population of Marshallese outside the Marshall Islands. It's a thriving community that is concentrated in Springdale.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
your preferences are a little disjointed for our area. Yes we do have public transportation, but the routes are limited. Do a search for ozark regional transit to find the routes if you want to live near one. I figured as much which is fine. I will be visiting a couple of times before moving so that I can do some research and see what amenities are available and which -like public transportation- I will need to live without.

I always tell people to get a 50cc scooter and forgo the bus and motor vehicle registration but understand that's not always a feasible way of getting around. I have a bicycle, so am hoping that will be a good option.

If you don't want to live in a development, you can always buy one of the older homes that are not part of a community that has the HOA charges and restrictive covenants. Such homes can put you outside of a bus route but you can always walk to the bus stop.

what is reasonable? when I first moved here with my northeast mindset, I thought $300k was reasonable but having lived here for 2+ years I now feel that $135k is reasonable. I am from the northeast, mid-state NY, so I know what you mean. $135k sounds very do-able.

Yes you can buy a mobile home for less than $70k but there is no protection in the event of a tornado.

I would love to buy a 15+ acre property and put a double wide on it with a storm shelter and a personal gun range but these things don't interest my wife or my kids. You sound just like my brother. I too would love the 15 acres and storm shelter, but I will forgo the mobile home.
Thanks for you thoughts gunslinger!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Someone from the Marshall Islands. Generally they are called Marshallese. Northwest Arkansas has the largest population of Marshallese outside the Marshall Islands. It's a thriving community that is concentrated in Springdale.
Thank you- I hadn't heard that term before. I am excited; this is going to be a learning experience for me that will hopefully include wonderful restaurants

Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
we have bike/walking trails that when completed will allow someone to bike or walk from Fayetteville to Bentonville (this is a 30 minute drive by car, so not sure how long it would take by bike).

The municipalities have spent alot of money on these trails which don't allow motor vehicles so it feels safe.

Most of the trails avoid the need to cross a street and while I have yet to ride a bicycle on it, I have walked parts in Bentonville and Rogers and they look to be fairly popular.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Thank you- I hadn't heard that term before. I am excited; this is going to be a learning experience for me that will hopefully include wonderful restaurants
DC has answered your quesion. Yes, you will be able to find some great dining places, some are top chains, others are just top quality and independently owned. You can find almost any type of ethnic food you would want in the NWA area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers