Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:19 AM

61 posts, read 80,579 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Brentwood, went to Texas A&M and I am looking to get out of CA. I am sick of liberal politics, high taxes, drought, illegal immigrants etc.

I have an MA in economics, and recently inherited my late parents house. Looking to purchase a home in cash for less than $250k in safe "Brady Bunch" suburbia. I'm a single and straight half Asian/half white late 20s woman, culturally all American. Looking for a place that's growing and has a good future whilst still retaining that "heartland America" feel that's been lost in urban California, Texas and points East. Not religious but enjoy their prescense and values. Looking to hopefully settle down and start a family, I am not into moving around and I'm looking for somewhere to spend a long time in.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post
I grew up in Brentwood, went to Texas A&M and I am looking to get out of CA. I am sick of liberal politics, high taxes, drought, illegal immigrants etc.

I have an MA in economics, and recently inherited my late parents house. Looking to purchase a home in cash for less than $250k in safe "Brady Bunch" suburbia. I'm a single and straight half Asian/half white late 20s woman, culturally all American. Looking for a place that's growing and has a good future whilst still retaining that "heartland America" feel that's been lost in urban California, Texas and points East. Not religious but enjoy their prescense and values. Looking to hopefully settle down and start a family, I am not into moving around and I'm looking for somewhere to spend a long time in.
You should be singing: NWA, here I come. The area fits what you are hoping to find 100%. My words when we first moved here was; this is the heartland of America. I still feel that way after all the years we have lived here. BTW I am originally from Los Angeles, we lived in the bay area as well, plus several other places.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You should be singing: NWA, here I come. The area fits what you are hoping to find 100%. My words when we first moved here was; this is the heartland of America. I still feel that way after all the years we have lived here. BTW I am originally from Los Angeles, we lived in the bay area as well, plus several other places.
Thank you! This makes me smile! Can you recommend any specific parts of the area? I see that there are many separate little cities, which is best? I'm looking for nice suburban neighborhoods that still have access to "fun" stuff. I guess the best comparison would be somewhere like Woodland Hills or Burbank. I'm not trying to replicate LA but that's all I know.

I am reading so many good things about the area! It seems like a well kept secret! Who knew that Northwest Arkansas had this much going on!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,088 times
Quote:

NWA does have its share of "illegal immigrants" but they aren't an overwhelming presence like they are in CA. I can't think of many places in the U.S. where there isn't at least some "new immigrant Hispanics" as I prefer to call them.

Benton County Arkansas sounds like a great fit for you. It is home to Walmart HQ, JB Hunt HQ and has a healthy economy, lots of white collar jobs and housing that you would definitely find to be affordable, coming from California. There is a good natural environment here, too. The beauty of Arkansas isn't on the level of natural areas in the far west, but it will surprise someone not familiar with this part of the country.

The only real liberal enclaves in the region are Eureka Springs, and parts of Fayetteville. I think Fayetteville on the whole used to be more liberal, but it has grown quickly and that seems to have been diluted some recently.

There is a study I saw and maybe linked somewhere showing that Northwest Arkansas is poised to have the 3rd best percentage job growth of any metro in the U.S. the next five years. Behind Austin and Raleigh-Durham. This area is a good investment and seems to hit most of what you are looking for.

Browse the forum a bit and you'll find all kinds of good stuff is happening in Bentonville, Fayetteville and the broader Northwest Arkansas region.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you! This makes me smile! Can you recommend any specific parts of the area?

I am reading so many good things about the area! It seems like a well kept secret! Who knew that Northwest Arkansas had this much going on!
I think western Rogers sounds like a good starting point for you. I am not terribly familiar with Bentonville apart from its downtown. Rogers/Bentonville area gives you access to shiny new "lifestyle center" shopping mall, as well as being close to downtown Bentonville which, I personally believe, will soon be the hippest zip code in the state. There is just so much being invested down there in the wake of Crystal Bridges Museum. That area is getting a new children's museum, and will soon be getting a brand new state of the art performing arts center, which is supposed to be bigger and better than the one we have in Fayetteville. You will find lots of other transplants in that area, and most likely find some like-minded ex-Californians, too.

Good luck on your search, and keep us posted.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
NWA does have its share of "illegal immigrants" but they aren't an overwhelming presence like they are in CA. I can't think of many places in the U.S. where there isn't at least some "new immigrant Hispanics" as I prefer to call them.

Benton County Arkansas sounds like a great fit for you. It is home to Walmart HQ, JB Hunt HQ and has a healthy economy, lots of white collar jobs and housing that you would definitely find to be affordable, coming from California. There is a good natural environment here, too. The beauty of Arkansas isn't on the level of natural areas in the far west, but it will surprise someone not familiar with this part of the country.

The only real liberal enclaves in the region are Eureka Springs, and parts of Fayetteville. I think Fayetteville on the whole used to be more liberal, but it has grown quickly and that seems to have been diluted some recently.

There is a study I saw and maybe linked somewhere showing that Northwest Arkansas is poised to have the 3rd best percentage job growth of any metro in the U.S. the next five years. Behind Austin and Raleigh-Durham. This area is a good investment and seems to hit most of what you are looking for.

Browse the forum a bit and you'll find all kinds of good stuff is happening in Bentonville, Fayetteville and the broader Northwest Arkansas region.
Thanks for the advice, I have heard of Bentonville because of Walmart.

I'm not here to debate with you, so I wont. But to compare illegals to new immigrant groups like Asians that came here legally is both disgusting and insulting. Would you call somebody who got a DUI a "driver who just likes to party"? No.

Comparing illegals to immigrants is like calling a squatter a homeowner. Yes I know they are everywhere unfortunately, but here in CA my tax bill pays for their in-state tuition at public colleges.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I think western Rogers sounds like a good starting point for you. I am not terribly familiar with Bentonville apart from its downtown. Rogers/Bentonville area gives you access to shiny new "lifestyle center" shopping mall, as well as being close to downtown Bentonville which, I personally believe, will soon be the hippest zip code in the state. There is just so much being invested down there in the wake of Crystal Bridges Museum. That area is getting a new children's museum, and will soon be getting a brand new state of the art performing arts center, which is supposed to be bigger and better than the one we have in Fayetteville. You will find lots of other transplants in that area, and most likely find some like-minded ex-Californians, too.

Good luck on your search, and keep us posted.
Thanks. I am looking and I really appreciate the advice, truly. I apologize if I came off as brash in the above post, your first sentence got me a bit exasperated..

Rogers seems like a lovely place! It seems like there are lots of Californians there, which is surprising!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM

No offense taken here at all. My semantics is just being sensitive to the fact that not all are illegal, nor are all a net drag on the economy. I am originally from Texas so I am definitely aware of the frustration that goes along with the issue. I think the situation is different here thn in SoCal or even Texas, mainly because we aren't as close to Mexico, and the people who have migrated here have actually come for those types of "jobs Americans won't do" rather than generous welfare support. I won't begrudge industrious people.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM

And I do support controlling the border, as it is an unsustainable situation, IMO.

Now, back to discussing NWA...

Old 05-08-2015, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Both Bentonville and west Rogers would be the place to start looking for your future home. You will be surprised at the cost of property. Fayetteville might be a consideration as well, but it is going to be more liberal. If conservative is what you want and nice subburban living, shoot for the 2 areas that have been suggested. of course my favorite area for many reasons is Bella Vista. And it is becoming more a sought after community for younger people I think you would be happier in Rogers or Bentonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers