Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,344 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just moved from Mississippi with a family of four. We are looking for a church that is diverse. We want a church that isn't traditional. We love contemporary Christian music and Christian rap. Please help us find a church home. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:17 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I'm not a religious person but I think the church next to mellow mushroom might fit your needs. Not the big cross church but the one in the strip mall next to subway

Old 04-26-2015, 07:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
I live in Bentonville and there is a Seventh Day Adventist church on 14th Street on the right just before you get to the interstate, just AFTER you pass Moberly Lane. I was invited once by friends (I am Atheist and White, to provide you with a frame of reference) to attend, and I felt welcome and I noticed a lot of diversity with a very high number of Blacks (and others, but I specifically recall thinking that in a town with very few Black people, they were heavily represented) of all ages from what I could see, in attendance, given the area. I do not know if the SDA beliefs would align with you (crash course: They are typically one of the more "literal Bible based" religions, and worship in a more controlled manner, but stop short of extremely strict dress codes, etc. They are very similar to Baptists who take things down a notch or so on the "lively" scale. They believe in the Holy Trinity. Their atypical beliefs consist of the concept that death is "nothingness/sleep" until the resurrection (do not believe in the rapture), and Saturday worship). If you want to know more, I am sure they have a ton of websites that outline their beliefs better, but that's a crash-course.) , or not, but the atmosphere was positive and the ethnic diversity was certainly present. I think if nothing else you could connect with other people who might share more of your culture in the area.

Christian Rap is not likely to be found in an SDA church. I think the dynamic will be too sedate for you.

Again, however, like I said, you might consider attending simply for the social interaction/to form relationships within the community.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I'm not a religious person but I think the church next to mellow mushroom might fit your needs. Not the big cross church but the one in the strip mall next to subway
follow up. I was told this church does not have services, so never mind.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I live in Bentonville and there is a Seventh Day Adventist church on 14th Street on the right just before you get to the interstate, just AFTER you pass Moberly Lane. I was invited once by friends (I am Atheist and White, to provide you with a frame of reference) to attend, and I felt welcome and I noticed a lot of diversity with a very high number of Blacks (and others, but I specifically recall thinking that in a town with very few Black people, they were heavily represented) of all ages from what I could see, in attendance, given the area. I do not know if the SDA beliefs would align with you (crash course: They are typically one of the more "literal Bible based" religions, and worship in a more controlled manner, but stop short of extremely strict dress codes, etc. They are very similar to Baptists who take things down a notch or so on the "lively" scale. They believe in the Holy Trinity. Their atypical beliefs consist of the concept that death is "nothingness/sleep" until the resurrection (do not believe in the rapture), and Saturday worship). If you want to know more, I am sure they have a ton of websites that outline their beliefs better, but that's a crash-course.) , or not, but the atmosphere was positive and the ethnic diversity was certainly present. I think if nothing else you could connect with other people who might share more of your culture in the area.

Christian Rap is not likely to be found in an SDA church. I think the dynamic will be too sedate for you.

Again, however, like I said, you might consider attending simply for the social interaction/to form relationships within the community.
The only thing wrong with your suggestion, 7 day Adventists are vegetairians, very strick in their beliefs,and od not drink. They are nowhere near non denominational as the OP has asked about.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiSkyla View Post
Hello! I just moved from Mississippi with a family of four. We are looking for a church that is diverse. We want a church that isn't traditional. We love contemporary Christian music and Christian rap. Please help us find a church home. Thanks!
I will try and find the name of the church our granddaughter and her family attend.It is near Krispy Kreme,I know that much. The building in new, they have expanded from their old facility. I know it is very large, nondenomitional and very family oriented, but has a great mixture of ages. OUr granddaughter and hubby,plus 2 2/3rd kids searched all over before they found this church. I have another friend, single in her late 50s that just started going there. Her minister, from Chicago recommended this church to her. She too loves it. I will see if I can find out the name of it.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 PM

573 posts, read 585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
follow up. I was told this church does not have services, so never mind.
How does a church not have services? Is it just a front to get the non-profit status?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
How does a church not have services? Is it just a front to get the non-profit status?
Beats me, I don't go to church... supposedly they rent their space for non-denominational weddings and such. I'm only repeating what I hear.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiSkyla View Post
I just checked with my granddaughter; the name of the church is Keypoint. Yes, they have families from many ethics backgrounds she said. Not only Affican American but international families as well. They have a great kids program. I do know they have 2 services each Sunday. I am sure you can find more about them on line. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The only thing wrong with your suggestion, 7 day Adventists are vegetairians, very strick in their beliefs,and od not drink. They are nowhere near non denominational as the OP has asked about.
This is not exactly correct, on both accounts. Many SDA churches I have visited served meat at their after service meals. I do not know if THIS SDA church does, however.

I know plenty of SDA's who drink. Not, however, at church functions. It is frowned upon, typically, though, that is very true, although a small segment seems to debate whether drinking = "drunkenness", and so forth.

No, they certainly are not non-denominational, but it was a very large concentration of African Americans, and I figured if nothing else the OP could socialize/make connections, if they were looking for other AA families.

"SDA strictness" varies greatly from church to church, with some being "very strict", and others terrifying said strict churches, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers