Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Sorry, but yeah - not allowing your girl children to pursue higher education and employment is idiocy. What if dad loses his job, dies, gets disabled, leaves? What if any of those things happen to the girls future hsubands? Having as many children as you can manage and provide for - fine. Not teaching yor children, regardless of sex, to be able to provide for themelves and stand on their own two feet - not fine,IMO.

I'm (currently) a SAHM by choice. If my daughter wants to stay at home with her kids for a while or forever and she has the means to do it fine. But that will be her choice - not soething forced upon her...
I am not sure any of these parents are forcing the girls to choose to stay at home, but showing your daughter the pleasures of being a mommy that doesn't work is just fine with me. Many of us learn by watching others. I have a granddaughter who has a college degree, went through on scholarships so obviously she has some smarts. By choice she is a stay at home mom. Her sister on the other hand is a nurse practitioner and the mom of almost 3 little girls. Both are very happy with their choices. The one that stays home also does a lot of volunteer work, while her 2 little ones are in day care.

I was educated but choose to be a stay at home mom until our oldest entered college and the other 2 were in Jr. High.

No one is saying there is a right or wrong way, but I do not think it is up to anyone else to decide what is best for a young women. Let me add; having a college education if it isn't used for a few or many years can be pretty worthless.Well I can't say worthless, an education is never worthless, but fields change so quickly, having a degree but not using it will result in possible further education when mom decides to go back into the field. I don't know where you got the idea I was saying mothers should not allow their kids to presue a career or education. All I was saying is, I do not think it is up to others to judge the decision a family makes when it comes to things like this.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
With 6 kids I could imagine the costs of child care would exceed anything she could make as a teacher.
Boy you can say that again. Our one granddaughter is expecting her 3rd in about a month. Two will be in childcare full time, the older one just in an afternoon program and our granddaughter makes a very decent income, but the childcare costs are still blowing her mind.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
I don't know if they have political "clout" or not, but they are definitely well- connected. They are extremely popular with the Fox News "holier-than-thou" political commontaters, such as Sean Hanity, Gretchen Carlson and Bill O'Reilly. There's a reason, or an agenda, if you will, Megyn Kelly landed the Duggar interview and not Rachel Maddow or Wolf Blitzer.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:04 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,340,619 times
Wolf would have been alright but Rachel is as far left as Hannity is right. Megan seems more in the middle but than I don't see why anyone cares about these reality shows. I did not watch the interview. I am more concern over ISSA AND IRAN and my husband information stolen by the Chinese than some family having 19 kids.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
It depends on what your definition of welfare is when you're talking about the Duggars. TLC gave them $200,000 to finish building that house they live in (I heard it was 7000 sq ft). Then they had it declared as a church so they aren't paying any taxes on it, and Jim Bob is probably still receiving health insurance from when he was a state rep and I'm not sure, but I think that also covers all the kids. So that's money coming out of the tax payers' pockets.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,130 times
For the "family values" conservative crowd gay-marriage is anathema but these gargantuanly large and freaky families with a child molester amidst them are a role model to follow.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It depends on what your definition of welfare is when you're talking about the Duggars. TLC gave them $200,000 to finish building that house they live in (I heard it was 7000 sq ft). Then they had it declared as a church so they aren't paying any taxes on it, and Jim Bob is probably still receiving health insurance from when he was a state rep and I'm not sure, but I think that also covers all the kids. So that's money coming out of the tax payers' pockets.
If that is in reality a fact that they are allowed to call their house a "church" to avoid paying taxes, that is as outrageous as a woman who has children with multiple daddies and gets on welfare and receives public benefits for the rest of her life. Nobody will ever convince me that Christians are losing their religious freedom. Any country that allows a citizen to turn a house into a church to avoid paying taxes, has two Christian holidays a year that shuts down nearly everything, Christian blue laws one day a week that shuts down much of the country, and the words "In God We Trust" on our money and the words "One nation under God" in the Pledge of allegiance is in no danger of losing it's religious freedom. If anything, this country bends over backwards to appease the Christians.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:25 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's only thanks to the perverse business of "reality TV" that child molesters have any clout.
Exactly. Putting children on display in order to make money was child abuse before I ever heard the latest escapade.

I know many Arkansans and I have family there. I am a Christian. So that isn't the problem.

Not permitting children to live any semblance of a normal life - not to date - ever, not to go to college, learn a trade, join the military or make any choices in life - that's a problem.
All of the people who I know in Arkansas are disgusted with them.

Yet, I am sure that in Jim Bob's creepy cultish world he has some clout. Then there's all the money he earned on that reality show.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:50 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Who are we to judge? HAHAHA!

I judge everything and everyone. I'm also judging that comment and it's not looking good for you

There is a right and wrong way. It's RIGHT when you choose a particular lifestyle for yourself that restricts your choices and involvement with anything that isn't in your closed world. It's WRONG when you inflict it on your kids who aren't getting the same choice as you. Getting no choice at all. This is why we judge.

This is why it's better to have the SOME eyes of society on you and outside sources somewhere in the mix. It's far too easy to hide horrors when everyone is telling themselves that it's ok that you insulate yourselves and your kids and it's nobody else's business what you do, especially when it's marketed as "wholesome".

Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't know if they have political "clout" or not, but they are definitely well- connected. They are extremely popular with the Fox News "holier-than-thou" political commontaters, such as Sean Hanity, Gretchen Carlson and Bill O'Reilly. There's a reason, or an agenda, if you will, Megyn Kelly landed the Duggar interview and not Rachel Maddow or Wolf Blitzer.
OMG, what are you thinking and saying? Of course they landed the interview, but how in the heck do you know how or why for heaven's sake? As for the darlings of anyone, you certainly didn't pay much attention to these interviews did you? Megyn could have been a little tougher yes, O'Reilly has been all over the parents and the family; as for Sean and Gretchen, so they have talked about this, that doesn't mean they are not all disgusted or at best, think like many of us, the family was nuts to agree to the TLC show, knowing they had something like this in their closet. The holier than thou people have come down on them as well. As for Rachel to have done interviews with them? Nope, she is so far to the left no matter when they family said, she would find a way to spin it; Hannity, well he isn't my favorite person either. . Geeze!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers