Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 12:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times

Advertisements

The last few times I've come to visit NWA, I've flown into Tulsa on Southwest (from Phoenix.) Everything went smooth as silk. The employees at the Tulsa airport were very friendly.

I've never flown into XNA, so I have no experience to speak of. But SW doesn't currently go there. Fortunately, I believe Allegiant flies there now (to Vegas but not Phoenix.) I've never flown Allegiant.

I posted a similar inquiry several months ago, so excuse me if I'm repeating this topic again.

I'd be interested to know your experiences between flying into Tulsa vs. XNA. Thanks.

ps- Does the old Fayetteville airport south of town have commercial flights, or is it mostly general aviation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
SW as you know doesn't fly into XNA, at least not yet. We have flown from both airports and to be truthful, as much as the prices to fly in and out of XNA are higher, it is more convenient, the airport is friendly and easy to get in and out of and by the time you drive to Tulsa, in many cases needing to spend the night, depending on the time of your flight and the cost of parking we prefer XNA.

As for Alligiant: we have flown from XNA to Orlando on them. They are ok, but charge for everything including water. The seats are uncomfortable and the bag charges are high. You cant even bring on a rollerboard type of suitcase if I remember right. The budget line isn't really that much of budget if you add all the extras they charge for.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM

291 posts, read 377,972 times
We have flown out of both. We fly out of Tulsa when SW does their $59 each way specials & we leave from XNA if we fly Allegiant.

Besides Allegiant- tickets out of XNA seem to be on the expensive side. It is true Allegiant charges for everything! Every bag. This is why I packed 4 people's stuff in one bag to fly to Orlando this month. Yes, they charge for water, snacks.No complementary anything, but if you can condense bags & don't need to eat or drink on the flight I still find flying Allegiant to be a bargain. I will say they seem REALLY slow at getting the luggage off the planes every time. Not sure why.

Both airports are easy to navigate in my opinion. Of course XNA is easier for us - no worrying about leaving early to drive to Tulsa or considering a hotel the night before for super early flights.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
If the difference in price isn't significant or it doesn't save me a layover, I'll always fly out of XNA. Tulsa requires a good drive. It isn't terrible, but it isn't worth it to me to save $100. $200+ in price difference is where I start considering Tulsa over XNA.

XNA is small and easy to get into and out of. 25 minutes to the airport vs 2 hours to the airport in Tulsa.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:27 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
The last few times I've come to visit NWA, I've flown into Tulsa on Southwest (from Phoenix.) Everything went smooth as silk. The employees at the Tulsa airport were very friendly.

I've never flown into XNA, so I have no experience to speak of. But SW doesn't currently go there. Fortunately, I believe Allegiant flies there now (to Vegas but not Phoenix.) I've never flown Allegiant.

I posted a similar inquiry several months ago, so excuse me if I'm repeating this topic again.

I'd be interested to know your experiences between flying into Tulsa vs. XNA. Thanks.

ps- Does the old Fayetteville airport south of town have commercial flights, or is it mostly general aviation?
I don't think the Fayetteville airport is around anymore. XNA is in B'ville.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I don't think the Fayetteville airport is around anymore. XNA is in B'ville.
Drake Field is still there, though, and private planes still fly in and out.

When it was the main airport in Northwest Arkansas, I flew in and out a few times. I think it was the scariest airport to land in that I ever experienced. And in inclement weather, it wasn't unusual for the pilot to decide to land in Ft Smith, and people would be shuttled up to Fayetteville.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Good, interesting responses. Thanks.

Not that it necessarily matters, Allegiant flies older planes. ,But, from what I've learned, older planes are safe as long as they're maintained, checked regularly for stress cracks, etc. However, if I had the choice, I'd opt to fly on a newer plane. I'm an anxious passenger to begin with.

Allegiant also flies into Springfield/Branson, btw.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Drake Field is still there, though, and private planes still fly in and out.

When it was the main airport in Northwest Arkansas, I flew in and out a few times. I think it was the scariest airport to land in that I ever experienced. And in inclement weather, it wasn't unusual for the pilot to decide to land in Ft Smith, and people would be shuttled up to Fayetteville.
That's good to know. I flew out of Drake Field a couple of times and I had no idea it will still open! Yeah, it was scary but it was so fun! Sheesh, we'd show up 15 minutes before we were suppose to be 'AT' the airport in the 90's. ( pre 9/11 and it was small) I hardly ever get out that way anymore, but need to one day!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:45 AM

44 posts, read 74,142 times
My family and I fly out of XNA & TUL often, especially my husband. Here's my take:

Xna: We would definitely prefer to fly out of XNA because of how: close the airport is, modern the facilities are, and great the customer service is. It's A breeze to park & fly and go through security too. You can find good deals out of here, it really depends on the destination & timing. I've used Allegiant to go to Vegas and it was a good experience. They see a lot of people coming and going, and the crowd is from all over, so things run smoothly. Just get to the boarding area an hour before the flight because they begin boarding early! They WILL close the doors to the plane at least 20 min before the flight departure & not reopen it.

Tul: If the ticket price is better, we fly out of TUL. $ X 4tix adds up fast! It's an easy- no traffic- drive. It's a tad more challenging as far as parking, but there is always a spot, just a bigger lot with 2 levels. Customer service is great and there are food options. It's a bigger airport that's older, but with more flight choices.

*We tried Springfield/Branson once for cheap Allegiant tix & it was a terrible experience, as far as airport experience, airline experience, gate agent experience, security, rude people, and drive to/from NWA. No one was smiling, and there weren't any delays or weather issues. Overall, not worth the hassle. Won't do it again!

*We've also flown out of Fort Smith and had a great experience, however there are no restaurants or fast food places on site. I felt like I was in an old fashioned lounge with leather club chairs and lamps. There are very limited flights. This airport is small and when we were walking up to it from the parking lot, my husband said "where is the shuttle?" He thought the actual airport was the parking shuttle waiting area.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 PM

Nennster, interesting points you've raised. Flights out of Ft. Smith must be regional jets. I'm not aware of major airlines serving that city.

BTW, there must be Ft. Smith envy of NWA's recent growth and prosperity. It seems like that town has been left in the dust compared to its bigger neighbor to the north (although I've never personally visited Ft. Smith.)

Based on your experiences, I won't consider Branson as a convenient alternative to Tulsa or XNA. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers