U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,421,825 times

Advertisements

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 AM

42,727 posts, read 27,312,238 times
Why not google Fayetteville for pictures? That would tell you more. Fayetteville's commercial areas are spread out. The square has the Old Post Office in the center that has been through several identities since it was decommissioned. The square has fabulous Christmas lights that go up before Thanksgiving. In the summer months it features a farmer's market that attracts a lot of people. Traveling north from the square (a few blocks) you will arrive at Dickson Street. Turn left for the University. Dickson street has numerous restaurants, bars, and the sorts of shops you find around colleges everywhere. George's Majestic Lounge is on Dickson street, great live music, rock to country to jazz to soul. The Walton Arts Center is also on Dickson, Broadway shows, ballet, modern dance and so on. Right on Dickson and you'll get to College Avenue. Cross College Avenue and you get to the historic district, older homes, tree-lined streets, etc. Turn on College Avenue and you are on what used to be the main commercial route through Fayetteville. Stores, offices, restaurants. North on College (maybe 3 to 4 miles?) to the Northwest Arkansas Mall which once upon a time straddled the Springdale/Fayetteville city boundaries. I believe that the boundaries have been changed, Springdale moved a little farther north, and possibly east to accomodate Johnson. South of the mall is Joyce street, and a whole development of stores like Target, Wal-Mart, TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot and so on. There are tons of restaurants in here as well. Joyce is in the process of being developed east of the mall as well, since it is a main connector to Hwy 265.

Along 540 and Township, lots more commercial development. South on College from the square is an older section of town, a little more run-down than the rest of Fayetteville, but still commercially thriving, I always think of this area for body shops and car repair, but someone who lives in Fayetteville could probably give way better information. Follow the curve and you'll skirt the turn-offs for Fayetteville's High School and then the Bud Walton arena and sports areas of the University. There's a Wal-Mart down there and grocery stores and shops that sell University memorabilia, to name a few. If you follow that road long enough you'll eventually reach the old Fayetteville airport. And see how scary it was to land and take off there. Anyway, hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will chime in, and update my info and add to it.

DC

Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks so much. Would you describe it as a pretty town or rough around the edges? We saw pics, but it's so hard to tell. We may not get around to visiting until this summer.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM

42,727 posts, read 27,312,238 times
South of the square and some older neighborhoods are a little run-down. Otherwise, it's a very pretty town.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 PM

452 posts, read 1,534,552 times
its a very beautiful town overall. Compared to most towns across the country theres nothing rundown about it

Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,756,251 times
Mt Sequoyah is by far the most beautiful spot in fayetteville. It holds very special significance to me. My favorite spot to hang out at growing up. So many memories of nights watching the sunset and mornings watching the sunrise....the most beautiful place to me in the world(and i now live around some of the most stunning scenery in the U.S., so thats saying a lot) If you have trouble finding it just ask a local how to get to the view point by the cross on Mt. Sequoyah...perhaps to some it is not that big of a deal, but there is no other spot i'd rather be in right now.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,539 times
Much of Fayetteville, including the new construction, is cheap - in the fullest sense of the word. The new Blair Library is one of the few exceptions. Dickson Street used to be a very interesting area - now it's a pathetic, noisy, desperate, badly-gentrified parody of its former self.

You'll never live in a more pedestrian-unfriendly town. You take your life in your hands every time you step outside your house.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:58 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,001,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merwan View Post
Much of Fayetteville, including the new construction, is cheap - in the fullest sense of the word. The new Blair Library is one of the few exceptions. Dickson Street used to be a very interesting area - now it's a pathetic, noisy, desperate, badly-gentrified parody of its former self.

You'll never live in a more pedestrian-unfriendly town. You take your life in your hands every time you step outside your house.

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I have lived near Fayetteville my whole life. Fayetteville is a university town so there is almost always something going on. Dickson street has lots of restaurants, bars, clubs etc. Some great places to take in are the Botanical Gardens, Old Main, Mount Sequoya, St. Catherine's at Bell Gable, etc. The square is very pretty at Christmas time.

As for the pedestrian comment, it goes both ways. Drivers must watch for pedestrians and drive slower in areas that have pedestrians, but Pedestrians must also look before walking out into the road. Drivers can not stop on a dime. I often drive over near the U of A campus and near Dickson St. and I have seen a lot of pedestrians simply not look and walk out in front of you, cross walk or no cross walk.

Please don't let a few negative attitudes sway your opinion. I say come experience it for yourself then draw your own conclusion.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 AM

I have heard more good than bad, so I am still excited to see your city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers