Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,961 times

Advertisements

I am a 54 year old gentleman living on disability. I have visited Arkansas a couple times and am considering moving there. Being from Wisconsin the winters are taking their toll on me. I am on a fixed income of $1200 per month. Can anyone recommend a town where I could rent reasonably and not worry about crime and drugs. I just need to stay within my $1200 per month budget. I have been to Mt. Home but that was a few years ago and only visited for 3 days. I did like the town though. I would like to find a place in the Northern portion of the state. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner128050 View Post
I am a 54 year old gentleman living on disability. I have visited Arkansas a couple times and am considering moving there. Being from Wisconsin the winters are taking their toll on me. I am on a fixed income of $1200 per month. Can anyone recommend a town where I could rent reasonably and not worry about crime and drugs. I just need to stay within my $1200 per month budget. I have been to Mt. Home but that was a few years ago and only visited for 3 days. I did like the town though. I would like to find a place in the Northern portion of the state. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
most of the towns have residential living facilities for the low income. I know here in BV they have apartments for the low income people. We have some almost across from our church and they are cute and well kept. They have a similar facility in both Bentonville and Gravette for starters. I used to have the information on who to contact, but I think I have lost it. I know you can contact the housing authority for more information. I am guessing most towns and cities have subsidized housing and whatever else you might need.

I am sure Mountain Home would also work well for you.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
Thanks for starting this Northerner. I am also contemplating Arkansas. I was hoping to visit this fall but may not be able to do that financially. Will plan for spring.

Nmnita, where would be a good place to stay while visiting? I'm also on social security but may not be eligible for low income housing as I did receive a settlement from the car accident.

Is there a newspaper I can check out to review apartment rentals? I am in an income based apartment here and rent was raised after the settlement, but is still reasonable. Still, paying less and staying inside for months in the winter, not appealing although I will have to do it this year.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:40 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks for starting this Northerner. I am also contemplating Arkansas. I was hoping to visit this fall but may not be able to do that financially. Will plan for spring.

Nmnita, where would be a good place to stay while visiting? I'm also on social security but may not be eligible for low income housing as I did receive a settlement from the car accident.

Is there a newspaper I can check out to review apartment rentals? I am in an income based apartment here and rent was raised after the settlement, but is still reasonable. Still, paying less and staying inside for months in the winter, not appealing although I will have to do it this year.
Fergus Falls MN ?

I moved to the Ozarks of Arkansas in 2012 and it was a great decision. ( moved from rural central MN )

I moved for...........

#1....milder winters
#2....lower cost of living
#3.....scenery

All three have exceeded my expectations !

Old 08-01-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Fergus Falls MN ?

I moved to the Ozarks of Arkansas in 2012 and it was a great decision. ( moved from rural central MN )

I moved for...........

#1....milder winters
#2....lower cost of living
#3.....scenery

All three have exceeded my expectations !
Thanks. I'm actually in Underwood, which is a teeny, tiny town, 9 miles from Fergus.. I'm looking forward to seeing Arkansas. I may be able to come in September, I'll see. I'm dreading this winter as I did not do well last winter and it was a mild one (yeah).

Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks. I'm actually in Underwood, which is a teeny, tiny town, 9 miles from Fergus.. I'm looking forward to seeing Arkansas. I may be able to come in September, I'll see. I'm dreading this winter as I did not do well last winter and it was a mild one (yeah).
you will find lots of people here from the upper mid west.

As for places to stay; depending on how much you want to pay, I would recommend you check out Vacation rentals. They actually are a national company I believe. The one I know about here is in Bella Vista. The rentals are actually people's homes they rent out when not living here or have purchased for investment. They are rented by the night or week. are reasonable and you have all the amenities at your finger tips. That is what we did. It worked out great and was cheaper than staying in a hotel or motel. There are also inexpensive motels in all parts of the state.

As for when you are ready to relocate, yes, we have a wonderful newspaper: the Arkansas Democrat Gizzette. Or you can go on line to Renters.com and get an idea of rental prices.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,961 times
Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate it. One other question. Are there age 55+ communities in Northern Arkansas. They may be cheaper than low income housing. I don't know about Arkansas but in Wisconsin "low income housing" equals drug and crime problems.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner128050 View Post
Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate it. One other question. Are there age 55+ communities in Northern Arkansas. They may be cheaper than low income housing. I don't know about Arkansas but in Wisconsin "low income housing" equals drug and crime problems.
The low income housing I happen to know about and it certainly isn't that much are closely controlled and are not the same as section 8 which might be what you are thinking of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers