Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM

500 posts, read 359,083 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a place to retire to in the next 5 years.

Currently live in Northern California - loved it here for a long time and now -not so much !

Fayetteville seems to get about twice as much rain as we are use to.... which we enjoy.

Thunderstorms seem to be prevalent - a selling point for us.

Now humidity... wife seems to believe Fayetteville has oppressive humidity - every day of the year.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me some real life information, versus trying to interpret weather graphs , especially for people who don't deal in humidity.

Thanks in advance for any information....

PS and no we won't try and change Fayetteville into California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
It's not bad at all, it does get humid but not like south Arkansas or Florida does, and at times there's nice evening breezes. After your first summer you'll get used to the humidity. Fall is drop dead beautiful and winters have snow. You'll love it there. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
We are looking for a place to retire to in the next 5 years.

Currently live in Northern California - loved it here for a long time and now -not so much !

Fayetteville seems to get about twice as much rain as we are use to.... which we enjoy.

Thunderstorms seem to be prevalent - a selling point for us.

Now humidity... wife seems to believe Fayetteville has oppressive humidity - every day of the year.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me some real life information, versus trying to interpret weather graphs , especially for people who don't deal in humidity.

Thanks in advance for any information....

PS and no we won't try and change Fayetteville into California.
glad to tell you all the positive things about NWA and Fayetteville if you promise not to bring CA culture with you. I was born and raised in CA. all over the state but mostly So. CA. We did live in Sac, Marin Co and Eureka. As for humidity,, yes we get it, but as mentioned nothing like the deep south, TX or OK. not even like the atlantic coast. Late afternoons and early evenings can be pretty humid from about late May until Sept. Lets just say we left Texas because we hated the humidity and love living here. We left CA for a lot of reasons, the weather wasn't one of them. You can probably guess what some of the reasons were. All I can say, is come visit us, and see how you feel after a few days. Spring and fall here are unbelievable and winter,though a little cold is really nice. Summer is ok.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Stay in Louisiana for a week in July and then come straight to NWA and revel in the comfort.

Obviously, it will feel more humid than CA but you'll get used to it as long as you don't stay in air conditioned comfort all day long.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:28 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
It's true. It does get humid here, but nothing like east or north Texas, and definitely nothing like deep south or the carolinas. I have traveled to NC several times for work in the summer and found it ridiculous compared to NWA. We are close enough to the plains to get some wind, which seems to clear the air out here rather frequently, at least compared to the more stagnant deep south and southern coastal areas.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
can anyone comment on the humidity in nwa compared to hawaii ? we are from the pnw and never experienced humidity until living in hawaii. All the pictures i've seen of Arkansas are so beautiful.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
can anyone comment on the humidity in nwa compared to hawaii ? we are from the pnw and never experienced humidity until living in hawaii. All the pictures i've seen of Arkansas are so beautiful.
It is very different; for one thing it isn't 24/7 365 days a year We have 4 true seasons, with only high humidity from about mid June to mid Sept. We will have a day here and there in May but it is a little unusual plus the temps do not get particularly high until May or June. We do have more 90s and up temps than in Hawaii.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"After your first summer you'll get used to the humidity"....I beg to differ.....I doubt anyone who moves into a humid area from a dry area gets "used to it"....you merely live with it. Having moved from NorCal to the Ozarks in the 70's, I found the humidity oppressive during the peak period. Sure, not as much as other areas of the US....the mountains seemed to help mitigate the moisture....
But yes, spring and fall were spectacular....summer and winter...not so much.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-03-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"After your first summer you'll get used to the humidity"....I beg to differ.....I doubt anyone who moves into a humid area from a dry area gets "used to it"....you merely live with it. Having moved from NorCal to the Ozarks in the 70's, I found the humidity oppressive during the peak period. Sure, not as much as other areas of the US....the mountains seemed to help mitigate the moisture....
But yes, spring and fall were spectacular....summer and winter...not so much.

Regards
Gemstone1
ok, moving from No Ca might be a little different but overall as much as maybe you never gets used to it, yes, you learn to live with it, you spend a lot of time indoors and you accept no place has perfect weather. The humidity in NWA is nothing compared to the deep south or Texas. I don't find it much different than what we had in NOVA.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:17 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Stay in Louisiana for a week in July and then come straight to NWA and revel in the comfort.
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
View detailed profiles of: