Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,686 times

Advertisements

Tell me it aint true. The thought of being retired and fishing by the lake, only to have an alligator leap out at ya.... does not sound fun. even the thought of having to watch out for them. Might have to give up water activities, even shore fishing. Any experiences ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Not a likely problem in NW Arkansas, according to http://onlyinark.com/homegrown/alligators-arkansas/:

Quote:
So, are you likely to stumble upon an alligator while out in the woods or on the river? That depends on where you are. Alligator territory covers the southern half of the state, and also stretches north into the Delta, but they keep to themselves in swampy areas near rivers, lakes and streams. The northern part of the state is simply too cool for alligators to survive. Two of the most likely places to see alligators in larger numbers are Arkansas Post National Memorial or Millwood State Park.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:51 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Tell me it aint true. The thought of being retired and fishing by the lake, only to have an alligator leap out at ya.... does not sound fun. even the thought of having to watch out for them. Might have to give up water activities, even shore fishing. Any experiences ??

No problem. Biscuitmom tells it right. Personally, I have worked all over Arkansas, mostly in very remote areas, and have never seen a gator in the wild. So, come on and enjoy The Natural State

Old 05-10-2017, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
there might be other less than friendly creatures out there but gators are not one of them.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,615 times
They don't live in the Ozarks and barely live in the state, from what I understand.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
They don't live in the Ozarks and barely live in the state, from what I understand.
Correct. They are only in certain bayous and sloughs of the Mississippi, maaaaaybe the lower Arkansas and White, and certain wetlands near the LA border.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
Didn't they restock them in Holla Bend several years ago?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,686 times
Thank you all for the replies. Now if I can just get the visual out of my mind of a gator leaping out of the water, well you know. In Hawaii now, and with all the shark attacks here we stay out of the water. Guess being eaten alive is not very high on my priority list. haha

Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Now if I can just get the visual out of my mind of a gator leaping out of the water, well you know. In Hawaii now, and with all the shark attacks here we stay out of the water. Guess being eaten alive is not very high on my priority list. haha
Well I've literally never heard of an alligator attack in Arkansas.

Some further reading has shown me that they were re-introduced into some parts of the state, but that the Northern part of Arkansas is too cool for them to survive. I suppose if we had several winters like the past two, with not much freezing weather, it's feasible that they could move north for a few seasons.

I have never seen one, and I don't think they live around here at all. They can be found in southern Arkansas, but even there they are pretty rare.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 PM

69 posts, read 95,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Correct. They are only in certain bayous and sloughs of the Mississippi, maaaaaybe the lower Arkansas and White, and certain wetlands near the LA border.
Farther north than that. My high school was at the Ranch (near Lake Maumelle and the river) and there were several times alligators were seen. I wouldn't say it happened that often but about once a year or so. I remember one time students were told to stay away from the softball field because there was an alligator in the outfield haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers