Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:10 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,127,937 times

Advertisements

With all that is happening in the four big-towns of NWA, I've begun to feel like the cities themselves can sometimes be viewed as "neighborhoods" within a larger city. While the cities currently are distinct in most ways, they are growing together. Each downtown is beginning to assert its own distinct identity again, with revitalization happening. In short, you can start to identify several different "cool neighborhoods" in the region, with restaurants, bars, walkable "urban density.

I thought, with that in mind, it would be interesting to compare the actual "urban area" of NWA with some other familiar cities to show you how we stack up, if we were considered one big city.

This site allows you to map one area and then superimpose the boundaries on another area, actual size.

Austin: http://mapfrappe.com/?show=48052

Dallas: http://mapfrappe.com/?show=48053

Tulsa: http://mapfrappe.com/?show=48056

Nashville: http://mapfrappe.com/?show=48055

Denver: http://mapfrappe.com/?show=48054
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
With all that is happening in the four big-towns of NWA, I've begun to feel like the cities themselves can sometimes be viewed as "neighborhoods" within a larger city. While the cities currently are distinct in most ways, they are growing together. Each downtown is beginning to assert its own distinct identity again, with revitalization happening. In short, you can start to identify several different "cool neighborhoods" in the region, with restaurants, bars, walkable "urban density.

I thought, with that in mind, it would be interesting to compare the actual "urban area" of NWA with some other familiar cities to show you how we stack up, if we were considered one big city.

This site allows you to map one area and then superimpose the boundaries on another area, actual size.

Austin: MAPfrappe - Legacy Page

Dallas: MAPfrappe - Legacy Page

Tulsa: MAPfrappe - Legacy Page

Nashville: MAPfrappe - Legacy Page

Denver: MAPfrappe - Legacy Page
Thanks Rock,

It is interesting as a comparison. Of course NWA really is a bit unusual right now. I think it will, one day be another Tusla or Nashville. I am not sure about the others.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,515 times
Hard to tell by those comparisons. For example Dallas, when you include Southlake, Arlington, Grapevine and Plano,& Frisco areas it is quite enormous compared to NWA. It is also 7 million people.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Hard to tell by those comparisons. For example Dallas, when you include Southlake, Arlington, Grapevine and Plano,& Frisco areas it is quite enormous compared to NWA. It is also 7 million people.

Definitely true. My intention was to show how the entire urban area of NWA easily fits into the boundaries of some larger cities. When you consider that Frisco and Southlake and places like that are "far-flung" from the actual city of Dallas, you realize how relatively compact this region is.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM

Here's a broader DFW view for comparison, since this is what I think you were referring to:

MAPfrappe - Legacy Page

You can also just zoom in or out on any of the links I provided in the OP.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:50 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,515 times
Quote:
Definitely true. My intention was to show how the entire urban area of NWA easily fits into the boundaries of some larger cities. When you consider that Frisco and Southlake and places like that are "far-flung" from the actual city of Dallas, you realize how relatively compact this region is.
Gotcha

Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM

Driving "all the way from Fayetteville" to enjoy Crystal Bridges or downtown Bentonville, or driving "all the way to Fayetteville" to attend a musical or an event at the University is like "driving across town" in a larger metro area. Less stressful, too.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 PM

573 posts, read 585,117 times
Quote:
Driving "all the way from Fayetteville" to enjoy Crystal Bridges or downtown Bentonville, or driving "all the way to Fayetteville" to attend a musical or an event at the University is like "driving across town" in a larger metro area. Less stressful, too.
True very true compared to those areas, however after recently visiting Denver, I can go from Centennial to the northern side in less than an hour, some days in Northwest Arkansas it takes an hour to go from south Fayetteville to Crystal Bridges due to construction and slog on 49. I wish we had 12 lanes 6 each way like Denver but I know we don't really need it :P

Old 06-24-2017, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
That is what I was thinking exactly. But it is still surprising how large this part of our state is and how we do compare with with some mid sized urban areas. I am sure our size and growth is why we are seeing so many chain restaurants opening up here, as well as Whole Foods and Fresh Market. Now, my usual question: where is Trader Joe when we need him?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Interesting threat about how massive the NW Arkansas area is. What is the population of that same area? I suspect it significantly different then a comparable sized urban area hence Trader Joe's slow to move up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers