Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Its very much southern. Just not "Deep South". There is a difference that anyone that has spent time in various parts of the south should be able to see. If you havent lived in NWA and spent a lot of time there, maybe your view is skewed. That being said, i've always felt as much in/a part of the south in Arkansas, Virginia, Mississippi, etc etc. Lol surely this wont be something like, "My south is more southern than yours!!" ;D The south has different layers, just like any other region.
You are exactly right! For example; I live in West Tennessee and it is MUCH more "southern" than East Tennessee. The foods we eat. The way we vote. The crops we raise. What we consider right and wrong. East Tennessee has always lived more like Northerners than West Tennessee. Including being staunch Lincoln supporters during The War of Northern Aggression. All of Tennessee is geographically Southern. But the whole state does not have a "southern" feel to it.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
NWA doesn't feel like the rest of Arkansas. To me it feels more like a much smaller version of the northern Dallas suburbs (Plano/McKinney).
I am hoping you are not right: I don't want to be somewhere that reminds me of Plano. We left Dallas for reasons like that; too many people, too snobbist, etc. When we have visited Bella Vista area it has seemed absolutely nothing like Plano, not to mention it isn't even 1/4 as big.

Nita

Old 03-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
I've never felt that NWA feels like the Dallas area at all. It feels like a mix between southern and mountain(ozark mountain) culture, and just the general appearance. Seeing that it is bigger than some other areas, it wont feel as small town southern(ish) as some areas, but definatly does not seem big at all. It does feel like a small town area, just not as small as other areas.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
I've never felt that NWA feels like the Dallas area at all. It feels like a mix between southern and mountain(ozark mountain) culture, and just the general appearance. Seeing that it is bigger than some other areas, it wont feel as small town southern(ish) as some areas, but definatly does not seem big at all. It does feel like a small town area, just not as small as other areas.

Maybe I should restate it. There is no comparison between the Dallas area in terms of population and even cultural amenities. Plano, a far north Dallas suburb is twice the size of Little Rock. Dallas proper is 10 times Little Rock and 20 times NWA (metro). NWA cities are more comparable in size to Sherman/Dennison, TX. Where I draw my comparison is the lifestyle. While it does not resemble the city of Dallas, you can draw some comparisons between Rogers and the far north suburbs, i.e. cookie cutter housing with cul-de-sacs, Hummers, hign end shopping and dining amenities, large office complexes, etc. Rogers, AR has exclusive shopping and dining not found anywhere else in the state of Arkansas.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:19 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times
so NWA is affluent like the north Dallas suburbs...i see

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Rogers good shopping and dining? I dont really think so. The new mall is not that great, and the dining is about the same as anywhere in NWA. I prefer the local and regional resturaunts in Fayetteville and some in Springdale. As for shopping....Not something i would seek out in Arkansas lol. Plus a lot of fayetteville is not Cookie Cutter like the suburbs of places like Dallas, that is something that is new to Fay.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times
lol this is interesting

Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Rogers good shopping and dining? I dont really think so. The new mall is not that great, and the dining is about the same as anywhere in NWA. I prefer the local and regional resturaunts in Fayetteville and some in Springdale. As for shopping....Not something i would seek out in Arkansas lol. Plus a lot of fayetteville is not Cookie Cutter like the suburbs of places like Dallas, that is something that is new to Fay.
Fayetteville is not like the cookie cutter suburbs of Dallas, but Benton County is more similar.

Being used to Seattle, I can see why you find the new mall to be not that great and the restaurants to be mediocre. However, remember that all this development is far better than anything that was in Arkansas before. It wasn't long ago that unless you were in Little Rock, going out to eat in Arkansas meant either catfish or KFC and going shopping meant Wal-Mart. Arkansas standards are far, far lower than anything on the coasts when it comes to shopping and dining, and what is upscale here may not be in cities that are used to more diverse options.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,226 times
I've spent a lot of time in Tulsa and NWA and while Tulsa is only an hour and a half west of NWA it feels more Midwestern and NWA feels more southern.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 AM

I dunno Bchris, i never had any trouble with great places to eat in Fayetteville, With places like Shanghai, the Dixie Cafe, Acambaro, Marketplace Grill, one of the things i really miss about Fay. Is the food! And don't even get me started on nearby Tulsa, Brownies, Jonnies.....MMM!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers