Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:25 PM

13 posts, read 12,159 times

Advertisements

Who said I had problems here? I surely have not. I have only written of my experiences. Whatever point you were trying to make is, moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySun1 View Post
Who said I had problems here? I surely have not. I have only written of my experiences. Whatever point you were trying to make is, moot.
According to you, you live among cretins - so why stay? be happy and move back to Cali.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
As someone who moved to NWA from San Diego, CA 3 years ago
As someone, i.e. a leftie/liberal, who moved to NWA from North TX 2+ years ago, my experience and observations are vastly different from yours.
Maybe that old saw applies: wherever you go and whatever you are, there you go and there you are.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times
Quote:
I am merely stating facts and that is what people come to this site to learn. The whole south, not just Arkansas refuses to progress with the changing world we live in. The south needs more people like me to bring this part of the country into the 21st century.
Oh, and by the way, the definition of ignorant is, uneducated. My point of ignorance has been proven by you. Have a nice day!
Quit being such a victim Lol

Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
I am not superior to any human being on this planet and have never claimed to be. All men/women are created equal. It is sad that you would make such an assumption.
I only speak of my personal experiences. My intent was never to offend anyone, only to enlighten others as to what is to be expected from this region. Plain and simple.
I apologize if I misunderstood you. And I have no doubt that you experienced what you say you have. There are bigots and insensitive people everywhere. I think, though, when you characterize Arkansans as ignorant and uneducated, and that you are needed in this area, that you can understand how that might come across as offensive.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
I am not superior to any human being on this planet and have never claimed to be. All men/women are created equal. It is sad that you would make such an assumption.
I only speak of my personal experiences. My intent was never to offend anyone, only to enlighten others as to what is to be expected from this region. Plain and simple.
Yeah, no problem. Calling people who live here stupid and that the state is an undeveloped pit isn't offensive at all. Most people would love that.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Yeah, no problem. Calling people who live here stupid and that the state is an undeveloped pit isn't offensive at all. Most people would love that.
She seems to have a very limited idea about life in AR.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
to you: I don't know where you live in NWA but you certainly have a different view of what life is like here. First of all; there are many families that are a mixture on ethnic groups. I know a lot of them and I can't believe anyone would say: we don't see many mixed families here. As for the area becoming more liberal: nope, it is and has always been conservative even though there are many registered Democrats. I think your opinion is based more on you leaning, as you say, far to the left. If the area is becoming more liberal how come almost all the elected official are Republicans. This has only been the case for about 10 years. Before that most elected officials were Democrats. Yes, the majority that were elected were Dem. but since the 80s the area has been to the right of middle.

KKK being alive and active: do you have any idea how few KKK members there are throughout the entire USA and how the group is shrinking like crazy each year? Of course most of us know the KKK headquarters are in AR. but by no means are they active. Or maybe you have spotted a bunch of guys driving around NWA with white hoods on Most of us have not.

You say how awful the rest of AR is except for NWA? Have you visited Hot Springs, or maybe spent much time in the Conway area? The only truly bad part of AR in the area south of Little Rock down to the Mississippi border and yes, it is awful. there are many of great communities in Ar. Little Rock is just like any metro city in the country or perhaps the world.. There is a lot of poverty. That exists in San Diego as well.

Pretty; San Diego is pretty. Most of CA is. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and graduated from SDSU. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the beauty of CA but I think much of Ar has it's own beaut Heck we lived in NM for 7 years, it too has beauty. Nowhere in Ca can you get the awesome season changes as we have right here in NWA.

sorry to disagree with you so strongly, but I think you do have a very different view of the state than many of us have.

so, you said, "the only truly bad part of AR in (is?) the area south of Little Rock down to the Mississippi border and yes, it is awful."

i find that not only highly offensive, but also completely false!

you can be a cheerleader for your area without being slanderous, and totally incorrect, to an entire section of the state.

i could be wrong, but that statement and ones like it, might just be some of what SunnySun1 is talking about.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I only speak from my personal experience of living in NWA.

To clarify, I did not relate the Confederate flag to the KKK. Confederate flags are everywhere around here. People use them as some sort of trophy. The KKK is alive and well in this area, although they do not walk around wearing white robes and hoods in public, on a daily basis and never have. That is absurd. Not just the KKK, but other Neo-Nazi organizations are present in the area.They do not go around advertising, either. Not to mention the people who feel the need to open carry, shoulder harnessed, as well as concealed, loaded firearms in public establishments. Looking at you, Walmart. The year is 2019, not the Civil War, era. Feeling intimidated by some 2nd ammendment yahoo while dining out, shopping or at a public event is unacceptable in this day and age.

It also appears that Caucasian people are the ones saying there is no racism towards people of color or bi-racial families. You may not see it or understand it, if you are not part of these groups.

I have zero reason to post a comment of blatant lies in order to give Arkansas a bad reputation.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and every place in the world has beauty. I do not understand johnhw2, who said he does not spend his time looking at nature. Every time you step outside you are looking at nature.

Worshiping a God, whatever you perceive your God to be, is a personal choice. Nothing wrong with individual beliefs, as long as they do not infringe on others. Religion is the cause of wars and unrest, worldwide.

My liberal views are my own and I do not impose them on anyone, but I do see the world from all angles, with my eyes wide open. I am open to all views because there is always opportunity to learn.

Many people in Arkansas are ignorant (uneducated) and have no desire for self improvement. I am not putting a label on anyone, merely stating facts. Arkansas ranks at the bottom for, poverty, education and healthcare. The only area that is improving on these stats is NWA, which is a huge step in the right direction.

I embrace diversity, people of all cultures teach us many thing we would have otherwise, never imagined.

NWA is a nice place to live, but making others aware of the culture shock that may occur, is being realistic. Many 2 faced people will say, "oh, bless your heart", while thinking and saying, otherwise.

I refuse to apologize for not sugar coating, reality.
I do not believe anyone suggested you apologize, but the crap about KKK is so far wrong it isn't even funny. In fact it is sad you think that. Research alone will lead to proof you are not correct. The president of KKK admitted recently the group is down to a few few members compared to years ago and I am talking nation wide, not just the south. Ask people living in Harrison about this.
You say you are a liberal but have your eyes wide open, and you see the world from all angles. I don't about your eyes being open but I sure don't see your mind as being wide open. If it was you wouldn't bring up one little comment someone made and take it as the view of most of our region. It is surprising you find the area so racist especially against Hispanics. The region is full of Hispanic immigrants working in the chicken factories, working as gardeners, and working at places like WalMart headquarters. Oou grandson in law is Hispanic. He would argue with you up one side and down the other about how Hispanics are treated. He says he has seen absolutely no sign of bias since they moved here 5 years ago. You came from San Diego and are really going to want us to believe there was no racism there?

as for ignorant, because someone is uneducated does not mean they are ignorant. That is certainly a more bigoted comment than any of us have made.

You are right about the educational level and poverty in AR. I would think you would have known that prior to your moving here. The state ranks low based, primarily on the delta region. A relatively small state can be very much influenced by one region. This is why, people who really think things out do not put too much into studies and stats. There are too many variables.

Ok, I will come down from my rant now and you do have a right to your opinion. I and many of us are just saying there is a difference between facts and opinion and you are basing what you call fact on your opinion.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Lot of troll feeding going on, I doubt SunnySun1 has ever been to AR much less lives here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers