Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,114 times

Advertisements

After reading various threads I get mixed messages about snakes, mosquitos,scorpions and tarantulas.

What is reality in the Bella Vista area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
After reading various threads I get mixed messages about snakes, mosquitos,scorpions and tarantulas.

What is reality in the Bella Vista area.
I saw a tarantula(or something of equiv. size) in Fayetteville once and it scared the crap outta me!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,172 times
I live practically in the woods and apparently there is a large tarantula "trail" that runs right through my yard Yikes. We have them all the time and often it is more than one at a time. We also have lots of snakes and I have even had a scorpion in my house (I almost stepped on it by the way)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,803 times
I'm sorry I can't tell you about Bella Vista..in Springdale I have seen snakes...when I was little...But as I got older I stopped seeing them.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 AM

90 posts, read 352,942 times
yes, I am dreading the warm season now with all the bugs, spiders and creatures returning. Being from the city, I am not used to that but the owners where I live say they fumigate so I hope its not too bad. The spiders here are huge! Its probably my least favorite thing about living in Arkansas. But what can you do.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:26 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
Tarantulas are generally very reclusive, except when the males go searching for mates. They seldom enter houses. Just keep the yard clear of leaf debris, as they like to hide beneath it. You may see them crossing the yard or road, but they are not aggressive unless frightened or threatened . I have had 2 wild-caught tarantulas as pets, and with gentle handling they never offered to bite. They are not poisonous, but can sometimes "kick hairs" at you which can irritate the skin. Just enjoy watching them from a distance.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I saw a tarantula(or something of equiv. size) in Fayetteville once and it scared the crap outta me!!!!
These little things are nothing to be afraid of. Just leave them alone and everything will be fine.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:14 PM

292 posts, read 1,308,486 times
I'm always slightly bemused (and amused!) when I read this type of thread. What, don't other parts of the country have snakes and bugs? Maybe I'm just used to it.

Snakes are very useful creatures. There are very few poisonous kinds, so you should always make sure of what you're killing when you see one in your yard. (In the wild, just leave them alone whatever they are....they serve a purpose in their environment.) King snakes are especially useful. I've read that they "defend" their territory against other snakes, and so keep poisonous ones away, if you're blessed to have one that lives in your yard. I don't know if that's true or not, but I like them anyway.

I've only seen a snake ONE time at the cabin, and it was just a little ring-neck snake, totally harmless. I've never seen one in all the times I've been on hiking trails or even bushwhacking. Once I saw one in the Mulberry, but it was a harmless water snake. They're marked similarly to copperheads, so if you ever see one swimming in the water, don't panic!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM

32 posts, read 130,575 times
Friends in Bella Vista talk of deer, raccoons and copperheads. They all keep good pellet rifles handy for the snakes.

Bella Vista is literally in the hills. Not many typical sub-division type living. In the most densely-packed neighborhoods of Bella Vista, there is 50+ feet between houses. That space is often filled with natural growth underbrush and trees.

--jcd

Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,114 times
I am glad you are bemused and amused. I was simply trying to find out more about the area. I grew up in Oregon and have seen dozens of rattle snakes and king snakes.
I have never had a problem or fear of snakes. Simply looking for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
I'm always slightly bemused (and amused!) when I read this type of thread. What, don't other parts of the country have snakes and bugs? Maybe I'm just used to it.

Snakes are very useful creatures. There are very few poisonous kinds, so you should always make sure of what you're killing when you see one in your yard. (In the wild, just leave them alone whatever they are....they serve a purpose in their environment.) King snakes are especially useful. I've read that they "defend" their territory against other snakes, and so keep poisonous ones away, if you're blessed to have one that lives in your yard. I don't know if that's true or not, but I like them anyway.

I've only seen a snake ONE time at the cabin, and it was just a little ring-neck snake, totally harmless. I've never seen one in all the times I've been on hiking trails or even bushwhacking. Once I saw one in the Mulberry, but it was a harmless water snake. They're marked similarly to copperheads, so if you ever see one swimming in the water, don't panic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers