Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,952 times

Advertisements

Hello! We (my husband, my son, and myself) are currently living in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area and are considering relocating to Northwest Arkansas. I have visited the area numerous times so I have a pretty good idea of what the town is like, although I know visiting a place and living there are completely different. We like a lot of outdoors activities, don't care much about nightlife, and scenic views are more important to us than being close to big city amenities.. so Northwest Arkansas seems like a good option.

I have a few questions:

1. My husband is a self employed plumber. How difficult is it for a new business in this area? I know it can be challenging for a new business in a well established community (people are often loyal to companies they've used for years). This would be an important factor in our move. We have great reviews online and a good reputation, but just wondering how hard of a market it might be to break into.

2. There seem to be a ton of positives about the area, but what are some of the things you don't like about living there? Just trying to get a realistic view of what life would be like there, so I would like to hear about the bad along with the good. I've read through a lot of posts on here and some of them talk about drugs and crime being an issue... how true is that? From what I've read through it seems like Springdale is the area with the most crime? That's strictly what I've read from here though, I haven't heard that elsewhere.

3. Might be a long shot, but has anyone lived in both Tulsa and NWA? I'm curious if there are many big differences (in culture, weather, etc).

4. Is NWA a good place for family life/raising children/etc? Haven't decided between homeschooling, private schooling, or public schooling when the time comes (our son's a youngster right now), so I would just like to know what the options are like there.

The places we've been researching and are seriously considering for relocation are Colorado Springs and the Northwest Arkansas area. Our main reason for wanting to move is simply for a change of scenery (I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life) and to be closer to many more outdoor activities and prettier landscape. I know NWA and Colorado Springs are very different, so we are just trying to decide what would be the best fit!!

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
ok, I will start this going:

negatives: well certainly unless you are considering a few towns, drugs and crime are not an issue, not at all. NWA is one of the safest places in the country to live. There are a few negatives: certainly one of them, which is typical for small towns is the proximity to some facilities. It isn't a huge issue but does have to be considered. The traffic can be a pain during rush hour, but as your husband is self employed this shouldn't be a huge concern. There is always that slight threat of tornados, but coming from Tulsa this isn't new to you and OK has a lot more than we will ever see here. Taxes are a little higher than in some states, but insurance is lower.

As for your husband, depending on where you decide to call home, he shouldn't have too much trouble getting work. There are, among other things some great, small networking clubs around here. they are always helpful, as well as the Business associations. I know here in Bella Vista we have only one, really well known plumber and he is very busy. He is great, a nice guy and does a good job, but there should be room for a few more.

I have lived all over our great country and I know, if I were still raising a family I would put NWA at the top of the list for bringing up kids. There are so many things to do and places to visit, plus the community values family life. Of course the churches have active youth programs but you do not have to be involved in church to meet people with similar goals as you have. Most of our school districts are very good. The only negative I can think of, when it comes to education: Bentonville because of its growth seems to re-district the kids every few years. It can interfere with friendships a bit.

I love Colorado Springs, my parents were both raised there (of course that was almost a century ago) but we do still know a few people living there. The positive about NWA versus Colo Springs would be the cost of living for starters. Next, but this a a personal issue, is the conservatism. Yes, Colo Springs is probably a bit more conservative than most of Colo but still NWA is more so. This may not be an issue to you and certainly there are both liberals and conservatives living here. NO one judges you by your political views, but NWA with the exception of Fayetteville and Eureka Springs do lean right.

I hope this helps a bit. I will add, our oldest granddaughter moved, with her husband and 3 girls to NWA from OKC about 5 years ago. They love it here. Our younger granddaughter and hubby also live here ane are very happy with the choice. Both live in the Bentonville school district. Our oldest lives on the east side of Bella Vista and the youngest one lives in NO. Bentonville.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:39 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Colorado Springs is about as conservative as NWA, it's a military town. What's your budget for housing? Tulsa will be very comparable to NWA, while CO springs will be way more expensive. Keep in mind that the north side is really nice, but very very expensive. Mid and south of town you have a lot of crime, and lots of neighborhoods are trashed - it honestly looks like you are driving through Detroit in many places. So while some houses on Zillow don't look too expensive, take a good look at the area it's in. In short, you get a LOT more for you money in NWA if crime is a major concern (and when isn't it?)
Regarding the outdoors, NWA is in no way comparable to CO springs regarding scenery, awesome hiking, etc - UNLESS you are into water sports. With Beaver lake so close and Bull Shoals not too far there is absolutely no comparison between areas. CO Springs is a very dry climate, so dehydration issues are the trade off for higher heat and much higher humidity.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Colorado Springs is about as conservative as NWA, it's a military town. What's your budget for housing? Tulsa will be very comparable to NWA, while CO springs will be way more expensive. Keep in mind that the north side is really nice, but very very expensive. Mid and south of town you have a lot of crime, and lots of neighborhoods are trashed - it honestly looks like you are driving through Detroit in many places. So while some houses on Zillow don't look too expensive, take a good look at the area it's in. In short, you get a LOT more for you money in NWA if crime is a major concern (and when isn't it?)
Regarding the outdoors, NWA is in no way comparable to CO springs regarding scenery, awesome hiking, etc - UNLESS you are into water sports. With Beaver lake so close and Bull Shoals not too far there is absolutely no comparison between areas. CO Springs is a very dry climate, so dehydration issues are the trade off for higher heat and much higher humidity.
as for Colo Springs, yes, the Air Force academy is there, but that is like saying Annapolis, Md is conservative which is not particularly true. Yes, as Colo goes, Colo Springs is slightly more conservative than the rest of the state but I do not think it compares with NWA. This is my opinion based on some knowledge but mostly observation. I did point out the two more liberal cities. As for scenery again I disagree with you. NWA is every bit a lovely scenery wise as almost anyplace in the country except maybe parts of VA. We have lived or traveled all over the country plus as I mentioned have friend and family in the Colo Springs area. We have good friends, still in CA who have a son who is a lawyer in Colo Springs and he is thinking of moving his family to Ar because of Colo politics.

I do realize you may know more about Colo Springs than I do. I am basing my opinion on visits and my granddaughter married a guy from Colo Springs. In fact her and granddaughter went to Colo State. I know a long way from Colo Springs.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:41 PM

In addition to several airforce bases you have Ft carson, which is an army base. The military presence accounts for 40% of the CO springs economy. One of the biggest indicators of how conservative it is, is the incredibly low property tax rate. While this is nice for home owners, there is very little money to keep the area nice, and it really shows. I don't mean to put the town down, I like Colorado springs I'm just telling it like it is.
I'll let people judge for themselves what is more breathtaking, the Rocky mountains or the Ozarks - but to me there's no comparison. I did a lot of motorcyling in the canyons though, if you simply live on the front range but seldom or never go up into the mountains it's no big deal. Now, NWA kills Colorado when it comes to beautiful trees and flowers, and wildlife - specifically if you are a bird lover this place is incredibly hard to top.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
In addition to several airforce bases you have Ft carson, which is an army base. The military presence accounts for 40% of the CO springs economy. One of the biggest indicators of how conservative it is, is the incredibly low property tax rate. While this is nice for home owners, there is very little money to keep the area nice, and it really shows. I don't mean to put the town down, I like Colorado springs I'm just telling it like it is.
I'll let people judge for themselves what is more breathtaking, the Rocky mountains or the Ozarks - but to me there's no comparison. I did a lot of motorcyling in the canyons though, if you simply live on the front range but seldom or never go up into the mountains it's no big deal. Now, NWA kills Colorado when it comes to beautiful trees and flowers, and wildlife - specifically if you are a bird lover this place is incredibly hard to top.
you hit it: that is why I give NWA the heads up over Colo area. I did go to the University of Co way back and we did a lot of hiking, etc during the spring, plus we still had lots of relatives alive, living in Colo Springs. As a matter of fact I spent some of my vacation time with my Aunt in Castle Rock when there were a whole 1000 people living there. Overall I think NWA is much more scenic. There is more to scenic than high mountains. Of course Colo wins out there, just like Ca wins when it comes to mountains. What they call mountains here, I call rolling hills.

I don't know about property taxes comparing one state with another, but I do know we have lived in 5 different states in our married life and all had higher property taxes than AR. Texas, which we all know is very conservative had the highest property taxes of the states we have lived in.

I don't think any of us can judge about one place over the other as factual. It is still a matter of opinion.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM

When we were looking at houses in the Springs in the mid-high $100ks range (we were looking at fixer uppers) were like $500-$600/year property taxes. I believe CO springs is the lowest in the state, and possibly the lowest in the country. Going by house values, even Castle rock was significantly lower than Bella Vista, which I don't think is high compared to the rest of the country.
I would honestly be concerned about moving to any of the 4 states that have been going through a drought for the last 23 years - Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. This year looks to be the worst in recorded history, and I can't help but wonder if this is global warming and not going away but just going to get worse. I know most people think a really dry climate beats a really humid one, but I totally disagree. I could go into the details on how dehydration issues affected me the 17 years I lived in Castle Rock, but I'll just leave it with saying I'd never move back. Great place to visit though.

Last edited by duke944; 06-25-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 03:25 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
I have lots of family in Denver, so I know a few things about CO and the Springs.

As previously mentioned, Colo Spgs prices will shock you. Denver has become soo expensive, people are buying and living in the Spgs and commuting all the way to Denver employment centers. In the winter that commute is a true sacrific in order to afford a home.

The Spgs doesn't get quite as much snow as Denver, but the winters are long but not necessarily harsh. I'm not fond of snowy winters, so I'm admittedly bias on this point."

If you like hardwood trees like I do, the Spgs will disappoint you compared to NWA. Their idea of fall color is the aspens--not much color diversity compared to NWA.

On the other hand, the Spgs is more of a typical city with a downtown with skyscrapers. NWA is more of a metro-merger of several cities running north/south. No skyscrapers to speak of, but who cares. Summers in the Spgs would be more comfortable, but I'd rather take NWA's climate overall.

To catch major flights, like overseas, the Spgs would edge out NWA/Tulsa because of its proximity to the mega huge Denver airport.

If recreational marijuana bothers you, I'd probably avoid Colo.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 PM

anyone notice Op hasn't been back for a few weeks. Maybe they have decided on a move somewhere else. kcvine t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers