Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
rising or not, our governor is doing all he can to help solve the problem. Hopefully the problem will be solved before spring arrives. It is a real nightmare. To add, we have a stump dump on the west side as well
It's unlikely that a $20+ million fix will be done before spring. Especially when there's only $8 million in the till.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 03:17 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Why don't they just use a couple tankers to pump nearby lake water into the stump dump till it's out? I really don't understand why they feel the need to excavate. I feel like we are getting the runaround because they don't want to do anything about it, this estimate is simply ridiculous for the size area we are talking about.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Why don't they just use a couple tankers to pump nearby lake water into the stump dump till it's out? I really don't understand why they feel the need to excavate. I feel like we are getting the runaround because they don't want to do anything about it, this estimate is simply ridiculous for the size area we are talking about.
I live in Fayetteville so don't have a dog in this fight but there's a massive amount of data on the issue that says this is not that easy a fix.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
I think there is concern that if they do that, then there is a danger of contamination of the local water supply. While the newer homes are generally on city water, many older homes have wells. This fire is consuming hazardous materials, which is why air quality is being monitored so closely. And the trench they are building is to hopefully stop the fire from spreading. Bella Vista is largely wooded with deciduous trees, so if a fire spread right now, it could be devastating.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think there is concern that if they do that, then there is a danger of contamination of the local water supply. While the newer homes are generally on city water, many older homes have wells. This fire is consuming hazardous materials, which is why air quality is being monitored so closely. And the trench they are building is to hopefully stop the fire from spreading. Bella Vista is largely wooded with deciduous trees, so if a fire spread right now, it could be devastating.
yes, and this is becoming an worse problem all the time. We have several friends on the east side. I guess yesterday was exceptionally bad or maybe they are just more aware of it since all the attention is being paid to the problem. All anyone here can wish for, is say a prayer for those on the east side. I am sure, this will all be in the past one of these days.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I live a mile from the fire and I'm not aware of any homes on well water around here. I could be wrong I guess, but I'm pretty sure everyone is on city water - in fact in the area of this fire many homes are now on sewer as well. I don't know how much water it would take but it's only a few acres and up to 60 foot deep. It seems to me pumping water until it's out would be cheap and effective, and beat the hell out of standing around with their thumbs up their asses wondering what to do like they have for 8 months.

Last edited by duke944; 01-24-2019 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Most of Bella Vista is on city water. But contamination of the groundwater would be a very bad thing. The many lakes in the area as well as the creeks don't need hazardous matter to be leaked into them. While the costs of putting out this fire seem scandalously high, I think doing it right, and not creating an ever bigger mess, is the smart thing to do.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Most of Bella Vista is on city water. But contamination of the groundwater would be a very bad thing. The many lakes in the area as well as the creeks don't need hazardous matter to be leaked into them. While the costs of putting out this fire seem scandalously high, I think doing it right, and not creating an ever bigger mess, is the smart thing to do.
Take a look at the map, it's right across from Blue Mountain Storage. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...9!4d-94.209084 The nearest lake is Lake Britney a half mile away. I really doubt the amount of water necessary to put this fire out is enough to contaminate the ground water to dangerous levels, and they could mitigate it by sucking out excess back into the tanks and getting rid of that safely somewhere else. Just continuing to let it burn all these months isn't doing any of the people or animals who breath it any good - at some point they have to take action. Excavation does not seem to me a realistic plan, how the hell is heavy equipment supposed to drag all this burning matter out of a 60 foot deep hole several acres in size? I'm doubting they are serious about stopping this fire, they are picking their noses and talking stupid wildly expensive plans that wouldn't work anyway. 8 months ago when the fire dept was called it would have been much easier to stop than now. It took a lawsuit and enough people complaining for them to even recognize the problem and make some public statements. F'g pathetic, and the stupid POA who created this mess in the first place hasn't taken any responsibility whatsoever for it.

Last edited by duke944; 01-24-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Take a look at the map, it's right across from Blue Mountain Storage. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...9!4d-94.209084 The nearest lake is Lake Britney a half mile away. I really doubt the amount of water necessary to put this fire out is enough to contaminate the ground water to dangerous levels, and just letting it burn all these months isn't doing any of the people or animals who breath it any good - at some point they have to take action. Excavation does not seem to me a realistic plan, how the hell is heavy equipment supposed to drag all this burning matter out of a 60 foot deep hole several acres in size?
I agree with you that just letting it burn is not an option. And I appreciate your doubt about groundwater contamination. But I think better safe than sorry. The hazardous materials that are currently burning, have to be considered. This is a very bad situation, and as you live so close by, and have endured this disaster for so long, I can certainly appreciate you want action, not expensive studies that don't achieve anything. I just think that the long-term as well as the short-term have to be considered.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that just letting it burn is not an option. And I appreciate your doubt about groundwater contamination. But I think better safe than sorry. The hazardous materials that are currently burning, have to be considered. This is a very bad situation, and as you live so close by, and have endured this disaster for so long, I can certainly appreciate you want action, not expensive studies that don't achieve anything. I just think that the long-term as well as the short-term have to be considered.
This isn't rocket science, get a couple tankers fill them with water and start pumping. If they had done that 8 months ago when the fire dept was first called and the fire was much smaller this would have been a non event ffs, but better late than never. Or, we can continue to watch people pick their noses and tell us how impossible this problem is to solve until it burns itself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers