Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I am so glad, we have natural gas here in Montana, with a 3,700 sq. ft. house, it has not exceeded $69 any month for gas to run 2 different forced air furnaces, and hot water. And this year has been a cold one. Not a lot of snow, just plain cold.
That's interesting because when I lived in south Louisiana, where it doesn't get very cold, we had natural gas in a 4200 sq ft house. Two central units and two water heaters. My bill would run several hundred dollars during cold months. One winter when we had some unusually cold weather for the area, I had a $570 bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Nothing you can do about high ceilings this winter.
Do you have a fireplace without doors, what chimneys do you have on the house? Any Attic fans?

I would look into your water heaters. Are they tank? Or tankless?
Why do you need 2 water heaters? How old are they and what their efficiency? Age? Manufacturer?
How long the hot water pipe run before it reaches showers? Do you have a recirculating pump on those pipes?
Are hot water pipes up Insulated?
Find these answers, it could be water heaters.

People don’t realize that even a household of 4 only uses hot water maybe max 2 hours a day ( 4 showers 10 min average x4 =40 min, dishwasher, cleaning - 30 min of tap opened?, laundry- use cold water. However tank water heater keeps the tank hot 24/7/365.
If you add a recirculating pump so your water is hot the moment you open your shower or kitchen sink faucet- then the pump keeps going 24/7/365 and if your pipes are uninsulated and have longer run and in unheated space- you just blown through a lot of propane., out of which 30% goes literally up the chimney if you have an old water heater atmosphericly vented.

Close the faucet while brushing, shaving - use a cup for rinsing. Only cold water while doing laundry- detergents are that good now. Do not take baths- take showers.
Let us know what you find out about that- more advice to follow re next steps to investigate

Last edited by Nik4me; 02-11-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Your 4 ton HVAC sounds oversized- for your climate- wasteful due to cycling. Look into/ talk to your building contractor. Did HVAC guy do proper load calculations? What insulation should be in your house and how it was made sure it is all there.
Read this about widespread insulation fraud
Home Energy Magazine :: Cheating - The Insulation Industry's Dirty Secret

Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM

37 posts, read 49,648 times
I'll give lots of detail so you can compare as much as possible given the circumstances.

I'm in NW Arkansas, 3300 square foot house with lofted ceiling to a bonus area over living room. Propane runs the main furnace which is a 4 ton, hot water, and cooktop. I also have a 2 ton A/C-heat pump for the upstairs that never has to run due to the heat rising. I have a 500 gallon propane tank and had it filled in Sept and January, and am at 25% so will fill again soon. We also have a wood pellet stove that we use during the day when we are in the living room, and go though about 2/3 bag a day on average. Furnace set at 66 except for an hour in the morning and night when it's at 70. There are also radiator style space heaters in the master bedroom and our son's room, since the pellet stove heat never makes it to bedrooms. Attic fan runs all winter in living room. Also have a recirc pump on HW tank that only runs 8am-8pm.

Furnace, A/C, and Hot water heater replaced in 2018. Old furnace was a heat pump with propane backup, our bills were about same. We went without the heat pump option on the new one. New furnace was upsized to match the ductwork, with the old one the blower was too small and did not distribute heat well.

As a ballpark estimate, I'm paying monthly about $100 for pellets, 200 for propane, and 100 for electricity. Propane was 1.79 plus tax at last fillup.

I moved here from MI, and two years ago my natural gas bill and electric were probably $200+ for heating in winter, but that was in 1200 square foot house. My costs are probably high due to the house layout and other people who are always cold and leave the space heaters on all day

Old 03-31-2019, 03:04 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Yes that sounds excessive. We have a 1750 square foot house and typically use abut 600-800 gallons of propane a year along with a wood burning fireplace. Propane runs our furnace, dryer, stove/oven and hot water tank. We fill up when the prices are low and we make the call for the fill ups vs the automatic option. We just ordered 200 gallons (we had 15% left in our tank from fall 2018) at $1.69 a gallon which should last us until late summer early fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers