Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
I wasnt meaning to say the the POA fees keep the poor poor. The OP asked if there are fees like that so I said yes. Some of the POAs do have very good amenities for the price, such as Bella Vista POA; I am not opposed to POAs in general. There are some, like one we lived in previously, that was more per year than Bella Vista but lacked all amenities except for a small park. All the dues went to maintaining the entrance, lights/signs that kept getting knocked over from bad placement, and so on. Loved the location but for us the fee outweighed the benefit of the POA.

What I do think keeps the poor poor in Arkansas is our high tax rate once you combine everything. We still tax groceries. Though this list doesn't take into account fees associated with tags, utility fees/taxes, and so on it does give a general idea. We are not #1 but one would think we would be further down the list. Even with the restrictions, I have known several retired/disabled individuals who couldn't afford the rising property taxes in the downtown areas.
If you are talking property taxes as on your home, I don't understand. Property taxes are pretty well frozen in AR for seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I think in Arkansas if someone is over 65 years old their property taxes are frozen at that level and won't go up until the home is sold to somebody else.
Maybe Nita can clarify this. I hope it is true.

Here in California our property tax on an old, 2 bedroom house with 1,700 square feet was $ 2,800 last year. It goes up every year, and with the latest bond which was approved by the voters, this year we are looking at $ 3,000, give or take $ 40-60 either way.
Ten years from now it could be close to $ 5,000.

California voters passed the proposition 13 in the seventies, which should prevent excessive increases, but our government always finds ways to add to it - we don't have higher taxes because they call it a "fee."
you are right about them being frozen. Off the subject but how are things going in Paradise. My parents lived there after retirement for about 25 years. My heart broke when the town caught fire.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,694,283 times
Thanks, Nita.
Our house is up for sale, no interest. Looks like Paradise is becoming undesirable, even with the tremendous housing shortage in Butte County.

We have two good grocery stores, two gas stations, but no restaurant worth a visit.
Thanks the Lord we have a new doctor after the previous doctors left the area; their building didn't suffer but they packed up and left. No dentist either, but at least we have a good vet for Tobi the Airedale.

More and more lots are getting cleaned up with the ruins shipped by dump trucks to a far away location in Tehama County; I don't know why so far when we have plenty of open space near us.

The population plummeted from 26,000 to maybe 2,000, but there are no precise numbers available. Regardless, traffic is up, contractors, bulldozers and dump trucks all over.

We are bombarded with slogans, billboards and media, "Paradise Strong" - "Butte County Recovers".

Not quite true. I posted here on CD that our Paradise Lake, where we could go fishing, raised the daily parking fee to $ 10 per day. The yearly pass, only $ 40 for a calendar year, has been eliminated.

How is that for the spirit of Paradise Strong?

Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,933,279 times
^
Problem with anyplace with a large population is maintenance. Who pays for first responders, who pays for roads, and bridges, schools, infrastructure of all kinds above, and below ground (One guy on another site thought underground infrastructure was abandoned subways and said he would watch out for them ).
See I wish elves came out and did all this at night but it's not how it works. Especially in a place like California. Or here in Maryland.
My question to folks in Arkansas is how much are you getting for the Taxes you pay? I do not know the answer to that question, could find out, but am to lazy to look.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:24 PM

573 posts, read 580,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
^
Problem with anyplace with a large population is maintenance. Who pays for first responders, who pays for roads, and bridges, schools, infrastructure of all kinds above, and below ground (One guy on another site thought underground infrastructure was abandoned subways and said he would watch out for them ).
See I wish elves came out and did all this at night but it's not how it works. Especially in a place like California. Or here in Maryland.
My question to folks in Arkansas is how much are you getting for the Taxes you pay? I do not know the answer to that question, could find out, but am to lazy to look.
I can't really speak to a ton of public services since I don't think I use as many as some might, but the roads seem much nicer than many other areas I've been, and they work on them often.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Thanks, Nita.
Our house is up for sale, no interest. Looks like Paradise is becoming undesirable, even with the tremendous housing shortage in Butte County.

We have two good grocery stores, two gas stations, but no restaurant worth a visit.
Thanks the Lord we have a new doctor after the previous doctors left the area; their building didn't suffer but they packed up and left. No dentist either, but at least we have a good vet for Tobi the Airedale.

More and more lots are getting cleaned up with the ruins shipped by dump trucks to a far away location in Tehama County; I don't know why so far when we have plenty of open space near us.

The population plummeted from 26,000 to maybe 2,000, but there are no precise numbers available. Regardless, traffic is up, contractors, bulldozers and dump trucks all over.

We are bombarded with slogans, billboards and media, "Paradise Strong" - "Butte County Recovers".

Not quite true. I posted here on CD that our Paradise Lake, where we could go fishing, raised the daily parking fee to $ 10 per day. The yearly pass, only $ 40 for a calendar year, has been eliminated.

How is that for the spirit of Paradise Strong?
I am still just shocked at what has happened and what Paradise residence went through. I hate to say this, but I have to be happy we made our decision to move here instead of Paradise which was our other thought.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,474,676 times
Taxwise, moving from Texas to NWA was a negative for us. We came out ahead on property tax but lost on income and sales taxes.

But never for one single moment have we regretted our decision to move here.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,810 times
Property taxes in nwa are above average for the nation, which is a bit of a surprise since the state is one of the lowest overall. I'm in the Bentonville high school district and I pay over 1% of my property's actual value, damn near twice the state's average. I pay way more than my Colorado property tax bill on a property that is worth way less. However, everything else is cheaper so in the end living here is still a great bargain. And I don't mind high taxes when the money supports something important like a great high school. Property taxes in Colorado are very low and it shows, most of the schools suck.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM

I think the one thing we are all overlooking is, each individual falls into a different category. We were a bit shocked when we learned (prior to moving here) AR did have overall higher than average taxes, but then we also realized how high or low taxes are depends on age, your income level and a few other things. AS mentioned back in this thread we have personal property taxes, but car renewal fees are almost nothing. If you are over 65 your property taxes are frozen, we have tax on food, which sucks, but each city has a different %, etc. I think it is almost impossible to determine exactly how our taxes effect everyone. What is shown on a chat is pretty simplified and can't always be used as a guide line.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the one thing we are all overlooking is, each individual falls into a different category. We were a bit shocked when we learned (prior to moving here) AR did have overall higher than average taxes, but then we also realized how high or low taxes are depends on age, your income level and a few other things. AS mentioned back in this thread we have personal property taxes, but car renewal fees are almost nothing. If you are over 65 your property taxes are frozen, we have tax on food, which sucks, but each city has a different %, etc. I think it is almost impossible to determine exactly how our taxes effect everyone. What is shown on a chat is pretty simplified and can't always be used as a guide line.
Everywhere I've been here is in nice shape - no ghetto looking areas, trash on the side of streets/highways etc. It's just a nice looking area in general. In contrast, I'd have to say that at least a third of the Colorado Springs area, which might just have the lowest taxes in the country, looks like Detroit - in a terrible, run down condition. Trash everywhere, no attempt by the city to maintain the landscape, streets in crap condition, things like junk cars and washing machines in people's front yards etc.
You get what you pay for when it comes to taxes, although I hope that property values stay low relative to the rest of the country - and if they do climb I hope the mill rates are reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers