Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy0 View Post
I live in NE Oklahoma and work in NWA and I think it is a beautiful place, but the problem I have is the drivers there. They speed, they don't use turn signals, they are selfish, they cut you off, they won'y yield, they gesture at you if they feel you have invaded their space. C'mon, lighten up people it is not LA.
LOL you have just described the drivers in Alaska, only they tailgate really bad (even in the right hand lane); cut you off, and this morning when we had about an inch of snow, there were ditch divers all over the place. I quess it's all over with idiotic drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If this bothers you so much, please to not try driving in Texas. I am sure, in order to pass the driving test there, the kids are taught turn signals are for foreign drivers only, cutting in and out is a game played just like fantasy football, and anyone going less than 10 miles over the speed limit should be removed from the road. AS for the referance to LA< as much as you wouldn't get me to drive anywhere in So Calif, I think they are good drivers, they just think 110 miles an hour is acceptable even on surface streets.

Nita
Hey! We have places to go and no time to waste driving to it.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
I actually always thought driving in LA was fairly easygoing vs. the DC area. Traffic jams notwithstanding, CA has laws that mandate you provide room for merging traffic whereas on the East Coast you gotta get up to flow of traffic before that merging lane ends!! At least when volume is horrendous in LA you can still get ON the freeway because people are supposed to let you in. In DC you have to butt your way in at high speed and then jam on the brakes!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I actually always thought driving in LA was fairly easygoing vs. the DC area. Traffic jams notwithstanding, CA has laws that mandate you provide room for merging traffic whereas on the East Coast you gotta get up to flow of traffic before that merging lane ends!! At least when volume is horrendous in LA you can still get ON the freeway because people are supposed to let you in. In DC you have to butt your way in at high speed and then jam on the brakes!
Well DC is pretty bad, you are right. I think the biggest problem with L.A. is the speed many drive and the huge freeway system. I was raised there, learn to drive there and still never got used to it. I am looking forward to the rude NWA drivers and the huge traffice jams.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
NWA drivers MUST be careful while driving. If you aren't driving just right the tobacco juice comes back in the window!!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
LOL That actually happened to my grandmother (not tobacco, though -eww)!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
NWA drivers MUST be careful while driving. If you aren't driving just right the tobacco juice comes back in the window!!
I thought it was pronounced "tacaccer juice?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I thought it was pronounced "tacaccer juice?
SORRY! I had a mouthful of taccacer juice and couldnt say it right!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Default Ahhhh....driving

This thread amuses me.

I was raised in downstate Illinois, and had most of my family between S. Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Most of the family's I knew growing up were also rooted in the south.

We....drove....s-l-o-w.

I ended up moving to Chicagoland for the last of my working career, and lived there over 20 years.

They drive FAST.

If you don't get out of their way, many hand signals and verbal attacks indicate that you are not on their Christmas card list anymore.

It deteriorated, and the accident rates and road rage incidents showed this. I mean it got *really* bad, to the point over time that "nullification" took over, that is, "Yes, it's illegal, it's just not *that*illegal".

So speeding, passing on the right, running red lights, and cutting people off became the norm. I knew many police officers, and they didn't hesitate to tell me that their limit for speed enforcemnet started generally around 25 mph over the limit.

As they would say, "Everybody does it....and we can't arrest everbody".

I met my darling wife, who is from Chicagoland, and took her to the boonies to meet my family. She immediately said, "Everybody drives so slow around here".

Yep.

In Arkansas, I have seen detrioration in parts over the 15+ years that I have owned a piece of it. It is most predominant in the larger citys, and in those citys that have a large population from larger citys outside the state.

There is a town not far from me which is darned near all people from northern states, and you really want to watch your driving there, because they sure don't.

OTOH, once you get more in the "country", people tend to be more considerate. If they don't like your speed, they pass you, and we generally get as far to the right as possible and slow down to assist in the facilitation of that maneuver.

When I go back to the north, I am amused at watching people try to pass, and the "passed" driver will speed up to kep from getting passed.

The way we drive is an extension of us, and I believe it corresponds with the same phenomenon as when a person drinks. Generally, the "real" personality will then emerge, and we've all seen a few "Jekyll & Hydes" in our time.

Me....I own up to what my father-in-law accuses...."You drive like somebody's grandmother".

Sometimes folks move somewhere to get away from the ratrace, and the rats follow.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Hey! We have places to go and no time to waste driving to it.
People are willing to kill themselves and anyone els to get their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers