Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I know how that is. It seems like more companies have this policy than not. It isn't a Tyson or NWA thing. In fact, you will probably find less of it in NWA than in larger cities. I wanted to move to DFW after college but couldn't because so many of the employers there wouldn't even consider a resume with an address more than 50 miles from Dallas or Fort Worth. I think that is the biggest hurdle to people packing up and relocating.

One thing I know though, Wal-Mart hires nationwide.
It's a fairly new phenomenon though I think. Companies started cutting out or limiting a lot of relo benefits around 5 years ago. When I got this job to come back to AR I was told by the recruiter it tends to run in cycles and right now we're in a cycle where companies don't want to or don't see much benefit in providing relo. When we went to MD we even got our realtor's fees paid but not this time around.

While WM may hire nation wide, they do tend to want to take UA grads for a lot of things, particularly from some of the UA business school programs where the students are more or less indoctrinated into WM in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
It's a fairly new phenomenon though I think. Companies started cutting out or limiting a lot of relo benefits around 5 years ago. When I got this job to come back to AR I was told by the recruiter it tends to run in cycles and right now we're in a cycle where companies don't want to or don't see much benefit in providing relo. When we went to MD we even got our realtor's fees paid but not this time around.

While WM may hire nation wide, they do tend to want to take UA grads for a lot of things, particularly from some of the UA business school programs where the students are more or less indoctrinated into WM in school.
I eventually started putting in my resume I would pay my own relocation but that STILL didn't get me any phone calls. I submitted at least over a hundred resumes to DFW employers. Not ONE returned phone call. I do think the pool of local talent available has a lot to do with it. In a large metro like DFW, there is enough local talent that it doesn't make sense from a business perspective to bring people in from elsewhere unless its for management. NWA and Little Rock are small enough to where companies might have more of a need to look outside the local area to find talent, but not so small that you can't break through the good ole' boy network.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 36,490 times
I recently started at Wal Mart and in addition to CSA they also have in house recruiters. I tried online months earlier and never even got an email. When I contacted the recruiter I had an offer (that I accepted) in just a month. I relocated from MO and the recruiter even tracked me down by hotmail while I was in the middle of a move and had suddenly changed address phone cell phone and not yet forwarded. I'm sure online has worked for some but unless you see a job post with your name on it in giant letters you would probably be better off with a head hunter. Don't forget it may take weeks for your resume online even to get to the right dept this is a HUGE company, by then the job is probably filled because they needed the work done the day before it was posted. The in house recruiters have contacts and people that owe them favors just like anyone on the inside. I also found the process was streamlined for me as compared to people who were referred by a friend, relative, or vendor (etc) a recruiter will have you signed up for all skills tests, interviews, orientation stc at the earliest possible date this is what they do. Trust me the average dept head has no idea how to hire someone let alone get them through the neccessary steps to actually start the job.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojefos View Post
I recently started at Wal Mart and in addition to CSA they also have in house recruiters. I tried online months earlier and never even got an email. When I contacted the recruiter I had an offer (that I accepted) in just a month... The in house recruiters have contacts and people that owe them favors just like anyone on the inside. I also found the process was streamlined for me as compared to people who were referred by a friend, relative, or vendor (etc) a recruiter will have you signed up for all skills tests, interviews, orientation stc at the earliest possible date this is what they do...
Jojefos - great info! i sent a message to you - if you could pass along contact information for the in house recruiters, I would really appreciate it. Many Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 19,579 times
Don't just put that you are willing to relocate - Under your "Objective" phrase it as: "Actively seeking a ____________ position in the ______________ area."

Then the person you are applying to knows that you are planning to relocate there on your own. This is something I've figured out after having trouble getting hired in areas that are actually easily within commuting distance from my house - because very few people know where my town is, and they don't realize how close I actually am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers