Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 02:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times

Advertisements

We visited the new HARPS and re-done town center, Bella Vista.It is fantastic, but the stores are still vacant. Supposedly they have a wait list of people who want to open small businesses there but other than a couple old timers it doesn't look like anything is open.

sorry, this should be on the NWA thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 03:51 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,533,023 times
The new store is very nice - before the redo it was a joke. I still prefered it over Allan's though, their prices are too high and the staff is kind of weird. If I were the owner of Allan's I'd be pretty concerned about the new Harps.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The new store is very nice - before the redo it was a joke. I still prefered it over Allan's though, their prices are too high and the staff is kind of weird. If I were the owner of Allan's I'd be pretty concerned about the new Harps.
Duke, I think the store manager at Allen's is a bit nervous and should be. I have noticed Allen's seem to run one or two non advertised special every week or so lately. This was not the case until very recently. Just this week they have a couple of great deals as you walk in the door. I do think they are making a mistake, as well, not selling wine. This has been an issue since wine sales became legal here about 4 years ago. Allens has also taken a hit with the new Aldi's in Bentonville so easy to get to from the Highlands.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Duke, I think the store manager at Allen's is a bit nervous and should be. I have noticed Allen's seem to run one or two non advertised special every week or so lately. This was not the case until very recently. Just this week they have a couple of great deals as you walk in the door. I do think they are making a mistake, as well, not selling wine. This has been an issue since wine sales became legal here about 4 years ago. Allens has also taken a hit with the new Aldi's in Bentonville so easy to get to from the Highlands.
One of my neighbors told me the owner only hires people from his church, which could explain the lack of liquor sales as well as the cultish feel I get from the staff. Anyway, the prices are way too high - I won't be dropping in for short trips anymore now that Harps is finally open.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:49 PM

573 posts, read 579,858 times
Quote:
One of my neighbors told me the owner only hires people from his church, which could explain the lack of liquor sales as well as the cultish feel I get from the staff. Anyway, the prices are way too high - I won't be dropping in for short trips anymore now that Harps is finally open.
Well the good news is he will be forced out of business soon. It's why the free market is great!

Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Well I do know a few people who do not go to his church but work there, but I wouldn't be surprised that his choice has something to do with religion. I have talked to a few who do work there, they also think he made a mistake not adding wine and beer. Maybe with Harps being decent now, he will re-consider. I doubt it though. I have a feeling our days at Allen's are dwindling as well. I do still pop in on occasion and I love their meats.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80firebird View Post
Harps is too expensive. They do have some things that I buy, beyond meat are priced fair, but most of there stuff is about 30% higher than Walmart and Walmart is about the same higher than Aldies. Take the brand of Ice Cream I buy, its 3.89 a half at Walmart and 5.99 at Harps.
I agree about their prices but they run similar to Allen's on most things. Any given day, they may be higher or lower Of course Walmart has better prices, that is no brainer, Aldi's is our market of choice as we live in an area that makes it easy to commute to I do not buy meat at Aldi's as it is one thing we want the best we can afford and I do watch my food budget pretty closely. If is just nice to have the new Harps here and gives us a choice when we do not want to drive all the way to Aldi's for a few items. Here is our way of shopping: once a month it is Sam's; twice a month or about Aldis and the rest of the time we split between Allen's and now Harps. We buy a lot of merchandise from Wlamart but not many groceries. We find their produce as expensive and in many cases higher than some of the pricier stores. For those who want quality, and convenience and price is not an issue Harps works fine for them.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 PM

573 posts, read 579,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree about their prices but they run similar to Allen's on most things. Any given day, they may be higher or lower Of course Walmart has better prices, that is no brainer, Aldi's is our market of choice as we live in an area that makes it easy to commute to I do not buy meat at Aldi's as it is one thing we want the best we can afford and I do watch my food budget pretty closely. If is just nice to have the new Harps here and gives us a choice when we do not want to drive all the way to Aldi's for a few items. Here is our way of shopping: once a month it is Sam's; twice a month or about Aldis and the rest of the time we split between Allen's and now Harps. We buy a lot of merchandise from Wlamart but not many groceries. We find their produce as expensive and in many cases higher than some of the pricier stores. For those who want quality, and convenience and price is not an issue Harps works fine for them.
I think of Harps as being a store I visit if I am in a hurry (though neighborhood market is closer in Centerton) or I want bakery goods. Also I imagine most have a good meat market. I do miss having Whole Foods down the street for when I wanted to splurge on meat or baked goods.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 PM

Harps is great for short trips if you are close to it, but the Jane Walmart pickup is the main source for food and stuff. (whoever thought of this pickup service should get a medal).

Old 10-08-2019, 12:44 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,467,569 times
My experience in Fayetteville with Harp's, at 2 locations, has been just ~ugh~. The stores, the service, the selection, the prices, just ~ugh~.

We're making do ok with Walmart, Sam's, and Aldi's, though. No complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers