Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 08:28 PM

425 posts, read 505,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achi WaWa View Post
I am of the opinion its easier to ask forgiveness than permission...
If it needs repair, I will probably just do it myself and wait to see when they figure out what happened...

as for being in the water... if you lose your balance and fall in, you will get wet.
Careful... The POA might shut off your water for code violations

Last edited by vcvs; 05-16-2020 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Changed BV to POA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 AM

108 posts, read 94,352 times
I probably have a lot of adjusting ahead of me... I've lived in the country most of my life and am independent by nature... This is the first time I have ever lived in a HOA and I'm not used to letting someone else tell me what I can/can't do...
I think I try to be reasonable (it's usually the other party that isn't )
I will probably not last long or else quickly join their PITA list...
is there a group of like minded in the area I should know about/join?

Old 05-17-2020, 11:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I probably have a lot of adjusting ahead of me... I've lived in the country most of my life and am independent by nature... This is the first time I have ever lived in a HOA and I'm not used to letting someone else tell me what I can/can't do...
would let this bother you one bit. You have a handful of people who are very anti POA and they will do anything to push their agenda. Some of their gripes are very real and understandable, but for the majority of us living here, we just go about our business and the POA is not an issue either way. Like anything else, there are pros and cons about how the POA is handled. I happen to be one of those who sees more positives than negatives, but there is always two sides to a story.. I will add those who are very anti POA see only one side. BTW politics as in Dem verses Republicans isn't really an issue when it comes to POA. I know people on both sides of the POA debates that are ultra one way or the other. It is just as I said, the anti are not particularly objective. I don't think you really need to worry about how this will affect your life here in BV.
Good luck.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:37 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
Homeowners Associations are a necessary evil, like the IRS or the sales tax. Most people are against them, including us; we lived under their thumb for 30 years in Fullerton, Orange County. We were written up for raising our garage door 2 inches in the heat of summer, for circulation. The worst offense was when it cost me $ 650 to relocate a doggy door, in 1985 dollars.

Then I drive around somewhere ( not here in Paradise ) and notice two rusting cars on concrete blocks, separated by a rotting queen-size mattress, the engines out front, and the entire collection protected by a pitbull tied to a one-dollar worth of flimsy rope, with zero fencing.

All it takes is one look, and suddenly I'm thinking, this neighborhood could use a HOA right now.

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-17-2020 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-17-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
If there is a POA "PITA list", I'm sure I will be on it at some point. I have raised a a couple of issues over the past couple of years, but I don't think anyone knows me by name... yet.

Regarding a group of like minded people.. I'm sure we could organize something!

Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
would let this bother you one bit. You have a handful of people who are very anti POA and they will do anything to push their agenda. Some of their gripes are very real and understandable, but for the majority of us living here, we just go about our business and the POA is not an issue either way. Like anything else, there are pros and cons about how the POA is handled. I happen to be one of those who sees more positives than negatives, but there is always two sides to a story.. I will add those who are very anti POA see only one side. BTW politics as in Dem verses Republicans isn't really an issue when it comes to POA. I know people on both sides of the POA debates that are ultra one way or the other. It is just as I said, the anti are not particularly objective. I don't think you really need to worry about how this will affect your life here in BV.
Good luck.
Put me in the group of folks who 'lean' anti POA. I am not completely anti POA b/c I'm pragmatic enough to know if the POA went away, the city is not capable of keeping up with all the amenities we enjoy. Even with higher city taxes, I do not think the city could fund such an operation, and further would not be dedicated to protecting all the exclusive privileges we have and enjoy.

However... I will continue to be one who speaks out about the frustrations I and many other folks have with the POA.

You make a great point about seeing both sides. And I will keep that in mind. One particular issue where I would like to understand and see the other side would be regarding the water situation. So again, why does the POA control (and own) the water supply? Why is the POA in the water business? Why would they not turn that over to the city? Is it an extra income stream for the city? Or did they keep control over the the water supply so they could use it as enforcement to collect POA dues?
Sorry to bring this up again... but speaking of "anti POA"... this is the type of thing that swings me in that direction. If I were given a logical explanation as to why 'our' POA chooses to control and enforce the water supply, I might could support it.

I only lean anti POA b/c I feel they are sometimes stuck in the 1970's. But they are making progress. I was for the increase in dues (overall). And I voted for the increase. The new plan put much more focus on the member and member ROI.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Homeowners Associations are a necessary evil, like the IRS or the sales tax. Most people are against them, including us; we lived under their thumb for 30 years in Fullerton, Orange County. We were written up for raising our garage door 2 inches in the heat of summer, for circulation. The worst offense was when it cost me $ 650 to relocate a doggy door, in 1985 dollars.

Then I drive around somewhere ( not here in Paradise ) and notice two rusting cars on concrete blocks, separated by a rotting queen-size mattress, the engines out front, and the entire collection protected by a pitbull tied to a one-dollar worth of flimsy rope, with zero fencing.

All it takes is one look, and suddenly I'm thinking, this neighborhood could use a HOA right now.
Necessary evil... good point. And I agree. I think the well ran POA/HOAs strike a good balance between keeping dilapidated junk and overground yards away, while allowing RVs and boats in good condition to be stored within the property 'owners' yard and premises, for example. But then again not all POAs have an enforcement arm, such as an "ACC" to serve as their watch dog

Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
Necessary evil... good point. And I agree. I think the well ran POA/HOAs strike a good balance between keeping dilapidated junk and overground yards away, while allowing RVs and boats in good condition to be stored within the property 'owners' yard and premises, for example. But then again not all POAs have an enforcement arm, such as an "ACC" to serve as their watch dog
Of course some go too far, but we have lived in many communities that have similar regulations as BV. Everyone is talking about all the restrictions and and permits needed. WE have had work done on our house and never had the contractors get a permit. Right now, we are having the exterior of the house painted and yet they did get a permit because we asked them too, but I think too many, take the requirements a bit too far. If you make an improvement on your property like when the shed was added to our yard, it isn't something that sticks out like a sore thumb and otherwise your home is well maintained it is unlikely anyone is really going to give a damn. As has been said, we may not always agree with the POA, but the benefits way outweigh the negatives.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 PM

Just doing my civic duty reminding Bella Vista residents that you need a permit from the "ACC" to do any type of work or even maintenance on your home, to include your deck. Yes, even if you plan to replace that one rotting deck board, Bella Vista ACC requires a permit and "fee".

"Chapter 5 – Architectural Design Standards
Standard Maintenance. Standard maintenance includes, but is not restricted to, repainting, re-roofing, and replacing deck boards, etc., so long as the size shape, location or materials are not altered. These items require ACC approval and a fee"

The above verbiage was was copied directly from the ACC, and not written or altered by me. Link to the PDF below.

http://www.bvacc.com/downloads/Chapt...20190912-1.pdf

Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
Thanks for posting, vcvs.

Maybe someone can explain the following:

What is the average cost of a permit or it depends on the alteration?

Average time to receive a permit?

Can the contractors handle the permit for the owner ? Up here that is the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers