Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 11:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

A 4 hour wait is far too long and I would probably consider some other way as well, but we nearly always do early voting which is open for at least a week prior to election day or we know the polling places where the wait isn't long. This gives us options and I just feel more secure. AS I mentioned earlier we were still on the voting rolls in NM years after we moved here. If we were not so honest we could have voted both in NM and AR. Also heard a guy today who received information on voting for his dad and his son. This was in MO. His dad has been dead for 2 years and his son does not live in MO. Both are still on the registration rolls and in order for this many to get the 2 names off, he had to bring in a copy of his dad's death certificate and his won had to send proof he no longer resided in MO> These are reasons alone to question the process of mail in voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 08:06 PM

425 posts, read 505,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am way past 65 and yet I can always find a way to get to the polls. If I trusted mail in voting I would feel differently. Both my dad and my mother in law lived to their mid 90s and still neither of them ever missed going to the polls.
I’m with you Nita!! Go to the polls and vote! It’s a privilege and an honor to go cast a vote. Mail in ballots should be reserved for those who truly need it (or those who... Well, I’m not gonna finish that statement. I’ll get folks upset)

Old 08-18-2020, 11:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Dh & I deeply appreciate folks (almost all seniors) who work polling places. We honor them for the service they've done for so long. We understand why they're reluctant this year. It's tough.

We respect Asa's decision to allow us to vote absentee this year. YMMV, take it up with Asa if you don't like it

Old 08-19-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Dh & I deeply appreciate folks (almost all seniors) who work polling places. We honor them for the service they've done for so long. We understand why they're reluctant this year. It's tough.

We respect Asa's decision to allow us to vote absentee this year. YMMV, take it up with Asa if you don't like it
I think you might be missing what some of us, certainly me are saying: we too understand the reason for mail in ballots this year but the fear many of us have is, it could become a trend. There is a huge difference between absentee voting which is pretty much what many of us understand and just plain and simple mail in ballots or vote by mail anytime. There are a lot of states that are turning to simple: vote by mail!! Let's just hope this year doesn't set a president and let's hope all goes well. Again, most of us can easily get to the polls. My last word on the topic.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:54 AM

425 posts, read 505,477 times
Quote:

Asa caved to the pressure, sad. I’ll be at the polls in person this year, and every year I am physically able to do so. I’ll go in person and stand with the brave poll workers and with all the other Patriots standing in line to vote.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
Asa caved to the pressure, sad. I’ll be at the polls in person this year, and every year I am physically able to do so. I’ll go in person and stand with the brave poll workers and with all the other Patriots standing in line to vote.
The people who mail in their votes are patriots as well. I hope people will vote however they can.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There is a huge difference between absentee voting which is pretty much what many of us understand and just plain and simple mail in ballots or vote by mail anytime.
??
Say what?
Huge?
Here in Arkansas, the only thing you have to do to vote absentee or mail-in is to check one, repeat check one, box on the application. DH & I did this last week.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:23 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
The difference between absentee voting and the mail-in voting for the 2020 election is the mass amounts of mail that the USPS may not be able to handle. Who know how many votes will be lost or late. I will be voting in person.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
??
Say what?
Huge?
Here in Arkansas, the only thing you have to do to vote absentee or mail-in is to check one, repeat check one, box on the application. DH & I did this last week.

there is still a difference. How does one show they are truly who they say they are for starters? This year may be a little different because of the situation but generally the states that have mail in voting always available have a bigger opportunity for mistakes. This isn't even saying fraud, though it does happen,this is just not the way voting was meant to be in my opinion. It will also slow down the final vote count.

You do it your way, but there are many who do not like the idea of this. I do not see any reason except for unusual situations for not voting at in person. AR has a lot of early voting.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Let's put the vote-by-mail 'fraud' myth to rest".

"Vote fraud in the United States is exceedingly rare, with mailed ballots and otherwise. Over the past 20 years, about 250 million votes have been cast by a mail ballot nationally. The Heritage Foundation maintains an online database of election fraud cases in the United States and reports that there have been just over 1,200 cases of vote fraud of all forms, resulting in 1,100 criminal convictions, over the past 20 years. Of these, 204 involved the fraudulent use of absentee ballots; 143 resulted in criminal convictions."

"One hundred forty-three cases of fraud using mailed ballots over the course of 20 years comes out to seven to eight cases per year, nationally. It also means that across the 50 states, there has been an average of three cases per state over the 20-year span. That is just one case per state every six or seven years. We are talking about an occurrence that translates to about 0.00006 percent of total votes cast."

" Oregon is the state that started mailing ballots to all voters in 2000 and has worked diligently to put in place stringent security measures, as well as strict punishments for those who would tamper with a mailed ballot. For that state, the following numbers apply: With well over 50 million ballots cast, there have been only two fraud cases verifiable enough to result in convictions for mail-ballot fraud in 20 years. That is 0.000004 percent — about five times less likely than getting hit by lightning in the United States."

Vote by mail has been made into a political football....I won't point fingers as to who I believe the perpetrator is....but... here is a tweet from someone April 8, 2020...."Republicans should fight very hard when it comes to state wide mail-in voting. Democrats are clamoring for it. Tremendous potential for voter fraud, and for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans. @foxandfriends".

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
View detailed profiles of: