Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 09:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Just for comparison, here's one in Bentonville's historical district.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-95080?view=qv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatCoupleSD View Post
Thank you so much for your replies, snaple4 and nmnita!!

Nmnita: That is so great to hear about your younger daughter! That's the approach we've taken, too; I love showering my parents, nieces, and friends (and their kids) with love, rather than having my own littles

That's so funny you went to SDSU! Is that how you met? Totally agree with the boring weather.

Politics are very unimportant to us in the grand scheme, and I'm a registered independent, so I do think we'd be fine and fit in anywhere. I tend to avoid talking politics in general, but don't mind a chat here and there, as long as it's civil and thoughtful, which is exactly what Fayetteville seems to be!

Snaple4:

We run into people who think we're weird for choosing to not have kids, even here in SoCal, but I get it 100%. It's still not a very mainstream choice

I definitely like the idea of a solid urban core (like a few square blocks with restaurants, bars, etc. to give that community feel), but also like the idea of more space beyond that. Sounds like that is Fayetteville!

Regarding neighborhoods:
Our biggest priority is privacy and greenery/woodsiness. We like homes with lots of light, and the ability to look out the window and see trees and nature. We also tend toward older homes b/c they seem to have more character. We are fine if we can walk even to a single coffee shop or the like. We're fine walking up to about 1.5 miles just to get that precious cup of coffee, too For me, there's just something about being able to stroll out for a coffee or pastry, though we rarely would even do so. We'd be happy to hop on bikes and ride up to a few miles to have that experience, too! But in a perfect world, we'd have the walking option.

A few neighborhoods we've considered include: Huntingdon (love the look, but not sure it's at all walkable), Wilson Park (prob too expensive), Walker Park (is it safe?), Mount Sequoyah, etc. We don't even know actual neighborhood names, which is making it a bit harder to do our research. We'd like to avoid flood zones! If you have a few official neighborhood names we could explore, that'd be great!

Regarding budget:
We're still working that part out. Ideally, if we were to buy a place, something in the 300-500k range would probably work. We prob would want a 2/2 or 3/2. I'd rather have a smaller place a bit closer to the action, as long as it's still private with some trees.

Thank you SO much, again!
Yes, as a matter of fact, that is where we met: it was Sept of 1957 and we were married Aug of 58.
As for politics, it isn't discussed as much here until it is an election year and now it seems like every conversation turns to the election.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We're a cat-loving couple with similar political views who, albeit a generation older than you, moved to Fayetteville 4 yrs ago from NTx (I grew up in NE Tx) - for many of the same reasons you listed, notably the moderate climate, 4 seasons, natural beauty, friendly & welcoming people who are tolerant of diverse religious beliefs & accepting of "outsiders" coming from other states. For us a big factor is the theater & arts community. We don't bike but we appreciate that the area is full of opportunities for those who do.
We live within (steep) walking distance of downtown, several blocks from UofA & we love, love our neighbors. Last year we went through a traumatic family experience & they were so supportive.
Be aware that houses don't last long on the market. When we found our 3-2 craftsman bungalow, we jumped right on it. Near as we can tell, that's still the situation today. When searching, stick with zip code 72701. This listing is just up the street from us, the style is not everyone's cuppa but it's an example of the diversity you'll find here, it's surrounded by older historical homes: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...72852145_zpid/
edit to add: worth mentioning that we have a world-class public library. Also the traumatic event we experienced was a critical accident sustained by our son who spent a month in the hospital. And as seniors, dh & I have had experience with many health care providers. We've been beyond satisfied with the health care. In our experience, it's been better here than when we lived in DFW.
Good and amazing to hear you have found the medical care better than in DFW. We are very happy with the care we have gotten here, but I don't think it is better than what we had in Texas. I am glad to here of your experience.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:41 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's in the historical district, within walking distance to the Fayetteville Square, Dickson St, Walton Arts Center, numerous restaurants and shops. Those amenities come at a premium.
From what I could tell it's still quite pricey compared to other stuff in that neighborhood.
Those types amenities are fine, but commonly found throughout the country. I currently live in a very similar environment complete with a smorgasbord of outdoor recreation, just subtract the major college and add more tourists.
Houses decked out like that with only 1k square feet might top out at 150k. More expensive cities in the area it might go for 200k.
Which goes back to if you like Fayetteville, fine, just forgive me for not seeing any reason a place like that should come at a premium cost.
For the most part, I don't think the area is all that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but that particular house just struck me as optimistic on the price. But hey, with all the people moving there from more expensive areas, they'll be duped into thinking they're getting a bargain. Supply and demand generally determines prices, but some of this strikes me as sellers taking advantage of the mentality of outsiders. Since there are plenty of them looking to move there, those houses will probably sell for those prices.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
From what I could tell it's still quite pricey compared to other stuff in that neighborhood.
Those types amenities are fine, but commonly found throughout the country. I currently live in a very similar environment complete with a smorgasbord of outdoor recreation, just subtract the major college and add more tourists.
Houses decked out like that with only 1k square feet might top out at 150k. More expensive cities in the area it might go for 200k.
Which goes back to if you like Fayetteville, fine, just forgive me for not seeing any reason a place like that should come at a premium cost.
For the most part, I don't think the area is all that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but that particular house just struck me as optimistic on the price. But hey, with all the people moving there from more expensive areas, they'll be duped into thinking they're getting a bargain. Supply and demand generally determines prices, but some of this strikes me as sellers taking advantage of the mentality of outsiders. Since there are plenty of them looking to move there, those houses will probably sell for those prices.
I appreciate what you are saying, but property in Northwest Arkansas is going for a premium price. Even in smaller communities, like Prairie Grove or Elm Springs. I have a friend, an older woman, looking for a house right now. And anything under $200,000 is selling so fast, it's generally gone within 2 days of being listed. Houses that were $150,000 in 2018 are selling for an average $300,000. Bella Vista still has some affordability, but you have to figure in the POA dues, too.

The houses in Fayetteville's historical district have always commanded a premium. And the one I like so much will probably sell very fast at the price point it's listed at. It's not a house here and there taking advantage of outsiders. It's what the market is like in Northwest Arkansas.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:23 AM

425 posts, read 505,477 times
Quote:

Just for clarity, the listing above consist of (3) properties bordering the square with potential commercial use, all 3 houses and property being sold at that price.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
Just for clarity, the listing above consist of (3) properties bordering the square with potential commercial use, all 3 houses and property being sold at that price.
That's good to know. Nothing in my link shows that. Where did you find this out?

Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
I appreciate what you are saying, but property in Northwest Arkansas is going for a premium price. Even in smaller communities, like Prairie Grove or Elm Springs. I have a friend, an older woman, looking for a house right now. And anything under $200,000 is selling so fast, it's generally gone within 2 days of being listed. Houses that were $150,000 in 2018 are selling for an average $300,000. Bella Vista still has some affordability, but you have to figure in the POA dues, too.

The houses in Fayetteville's historical district have always commanded a premium. And the one I like so much will probably sell very fast at the price point it's listed at. It's not a house here and there taking advantage of outsiders. It's what the market is like in Northwest Arkansas.
I know it's not just a few houses here and there and it's just the market, but I fail to see what's driving those kinds of prices.
Even with a decent job market and fast growth, the market still seems inflated. When I lived in the rural areas in the region, locals were complaining about real estate prices being driven higher due to what transplants were willing to pay which was far beyond what those prices would have been otherwise. That's just the way it goes, unfortunately, and it seems to occur all over the country. Sure seems to be the case of the little 1k sqft half-million dollar house in... Fayetteville Arkansas.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 25,076 times
Quote:

Whoa...that is insane, and definitely way pricier than most property around San Diego. But interesting that VCVS noted about the extra properties. That would definitely make it a different scenario, but still way out of our price range Thank you both for the point of reference! I also appreciate that you and SUB have been honest with the real estate situation. We're sort of used to seeing the Fayetteville prices (and much higher), so it's not a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We're a cat-loving couple with similar political views who, albeit a generation older than you, moved to Fayetteville 4 yrs ago from NTx (I grew up in NE Tx) - for many of the same reasons you listed, notably the moderate climate, 4 seasons, natural beauty, friendly & welcoming people who are tolerant of diverse religious beliefs & accepting of "outsiders" coming from other states. For us a big factor is the theater & arts community. We don't bike but we appreciate that the area is full of opportunities for those who do.
We live within (steep) walking distance of downtown, several blocks from UofA & we love, love our neighbors. Last year we went through a traumatic family experience & they were so supportive.
Be aware that houses don't last long on the market. When we found our 3-2 craftsman bungalow, we jumped right on it. Near as we can tell, that's still the situation today. When searching, stick with zip code 72701. This listing is just up the street from us, the style is not everyone's cuppa but it's an example of the diversity you'll find here, it's surrounded by older historical homes: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...72852145_zpid/
edit to add: worth mentioning that we have a world-class public library. Also the traumatic event we experienced was a critical accident sustained by our son who spent a month in the hospital. And as seniors, dh & I have had experience with many health care providers. We've been beyond satisfied with the health care. In our experience, it's been better here than when we lived in DFW.
First of all, I'm so sorry about your son's accident. I hope he's doing better now, and I'm thrilled to hear he got excellent care! My parents keep using good medical care to try and lure us back to Tyler, TX, but my husband refuses and I don't blame him. I wouldn't want to go back to my hometown.

Incidentally, the place you sent is definitely my style! I love all styles, but might shy away from the red brick type, simply b/c that's what I grew up in (again, my hangup about moving home haha)

Supportive and friendly neighbors = huge green flag We love our current neighbors, but San Diego is so transient that it feels like we always have people moving in and out. In fact, that's a big motivator for moving. I just am so tired of making friends with new people, then getting my heart broken when they move. We just found out this morning our closest friends here are moving! We really want to put down roots and have true friends. And, not to be creepy, but we tend to hang out with people older and younger than we are (most people our age are tied up with kid stuff, understandably), so sounds like you'd be a great friend!! Where in NE TX are you from, just curious?

Are any of you familiar with the Huntingdon neighborhood? We love the idea of Mount Sequoyah or the Wilson Park area, but we want to also consider other spots. We love the homes (from what we can tell), and the saltwater pool looks sweet! We don't *need* walkability if there's easy access to the greenway, which it seems there is. We just don't want to stick out like sore thumbs if it's one of those communities where 100% of everything involves kids

I cannot thank you all enough for your input. You've been so helpful!

Old 09-01-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Maybe you would have a little better idea of property values in and around the ares, especially near any of he city's main squares and you might think a little differently. Would we pay a price like that? NO way, but people who want to live near a nice downtown area think the price is perfectly fine or near fine; there probably is wiggle room. I know the homes for sale near Benton square are priced higher or as high. NWA has become a sellers market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers