Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 05:58 PM

425 posts, read 505,477 times

Advertisements

(Unless you live in Bella Vista, AR)

Details below in the link.

I'm cool with following the rules, and if white fences are not allowed, I will obey. However I take issue with the way this was handled. 10 years ago they outlawed white fences and grandfathered those who had them. However (in their own words and admission), they failed to keep records on those who were grandfathered. So in 2019, they voted to completely outlaw white fences, for anyone, regardless if you were grandfathered or not. White fence offenders have 6-months to correct the issue or face legal action.
For the last 10+ years the ACC patrol trucks have been driving the streets searching for code violations, they have had plenty of time to catalog white fence data and should very well know who should be grandfathered.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/...a-65041e07a244
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 04:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Yep.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/arka...-restrict.html

Old 07-01-2021, 05:18 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
What the hell is wrong with white? Is that the latest thing blamed on Critical Race Theory? What other colors are approved? Is a chain link fence approved and in what colors?

On the other hand I admire your town that there are no more serious issues than painting a white fence to Sunlight Orange or Cucumber Green.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:27 AM

It appears to me that HOA's have authority, without responsibility or oversight.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:49 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I think white picket fences are charming. The article did not say why they are being banned. What is the reasoning behind this?

Old 07-02-2021, 10:38 AM

240 posts, read 212,730 times
Some HOA's in fact many in the 20th and 21st century have place in their by-laws and restrictions on ALL kinds of fencing !

I've seen docs outlawing dog-eared SPF fencing in any size, whether 1x4 or 1x6 ! outlawing any kind of chain link, dog-runs, outlawing SYP cca treated fencing, basket-weaves (vertical and horizontal), outlawing EEifs stucco walls....

Many other restrictions - even on colored (like beige) PVC board fencing, placements, setbacks etc

Other restrictions like NO kind of fencing on the front border line (yes, even white pickets).

My personal, isolated opinion is that white picket fences are dated and look pretty strange across the FRONT of anyone's house. - Lots of people don't find them "CHARMING"...charming?? Some homeowners think white picket fences esp across the front of your property are tacky, but moreover, dated. I don't know really. I never thought of any fence on a property in terms of being "charming" - I have stucco WALLS, and they too aren't very "charming"

Most MODERN subdivisions and developers just don't like the look ...it's not 1920 or even 1950 in building "looks" these days.

If you think of it, a true "picket fence" is not functional at ALL. It's not a "privacy fence"...it most cases, in fact all, you can see right through them, and you can jump right over most of them!.....soooooo....they have no practical function - they are purely "decorative" hence many HOA's might likely have something to say about them - lol

That's why HOA's exist. Don't like the rules?? gee...fine...just don't buy in an HOA development.

LOL....some hOA's don't allow ROSE BUSHES on your own property.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:27 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
Some HOA's in fact many in the 20th and 21st century have place in their by-laws and restrictions on ALL kinds of fencing !

I've seen docs outlawing dog-eared SPF fencing in any size, whether 1x4 or 1x6 ! outlawing any kind of chain link, dog-runs, outlawing SYP cca treated fencing, basket-weaves (vertical and horizontal), outlawing EEifs stucco walls....

Many other restrictions - even on colored (like beige) PVC board fencing, placements, setbacks etc

Other restrictions like NO kind of fencing on the front border line (yes, even white pickets).

My personal, isolated opinion is that white picket fences are dated and look pretty strange across the FRONT of anyone's house. - Lots of people don't find them "CHARMING"...charming?? Some homeowners think white picket fences esp across the front of your property are tacky, but moreover, dated. I don't know really. I never thought of any fence on a property in terms of being "charming" - I have stucco WALLS, and they too aren't very "charming"

Most MODERN subdivisions and developers just don't like the look ...it's not 1920 or even 1950 in building "looks" these days.

If you think of it, a true "picket fence" is not functional at ALL. It's not a "privacy fence"...it most cases, in fact all, you can see right through them, and you can jump right over most of them!.....soooooo....they have no practical function - they are purely "decorative" hence many HOA's might likely have something to say about them - lol

That's why HOA's exist. Don't like the rules?? gee...fine...just don't buy in an HOA development.

Agreed with if you don't like the rules, don't buy in.
Problem is, sounds like they've changed the rules on people that's had their fences in place for a very long time.

As far as being dated, that argument wouldn't fly.
Many houses in Bella Vista are very dull, very dated ranchers from the 70's and 80's.
A LOT of the new constructions are stuck in the 90's with their imposing garages and gaudy tall rooflines that serve no purpose.
Should people be made to update the outside of the house itself when it's no longer in fashion? No, and I think the same should go for a fence.
But, the issue is most likely not a problem with style, but with location in front yards and potential lack of upkeep. That'd be my guess.
Still they shouldn't be telling people to tear out already agreed-to fencing.

The only thing modern about this house might be the use of grays instead of tans on the interior:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M96854-15282
If that thing is allowed, they shouldn't be restricting any type of fence whatsoever.

A white picket fence most likely could only help the place honestly.
There are a lot of them where I live (in another state) and they look fantastic if done properly. It helps that there are a lot of older well-kept neighborhoods where that sort of thing fits right in. Some of us like old stuff.

Last edited by sub; 07-02-2021 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed with if you don't like the rules, don't buy in.
Problem is, sounds like they've changed the rules on people that's had their fences in place for a very long time.

As far as being dated, that argument wouldn't fly.
A white picket fence most likely could only help the place honestly.
There are a lot of them where I live (in another state) and they look fantastic if done properly. It helps that there are a lot of older well-kept neighborhoods where that sort of thing fits right in. Some of us like old stuff.
A white picket fence is decorative, and also serves as a "raised line" form of property line. Kinda like the "Posted" sign," but prettier. Some people might call it "dated" but that would be like going to a classic car show and calling the cars "a bunch of old clunkers."

I wouldn't pay any attention to KMerendino, BTW, his posting history currently shows he wanders around the forums dropping a completely baseless posting into some conversation or other. He is just giving us a reason to put him on ignore.

I think you hit the nail on the head, though: they are trying to change rules, and outlaw things they previously said were good.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:37 AM

240 posts, read 212,730 times
oh my, ^^why worry about others' postings? that's strange

just follow your own proclamation and "ignore" ? sometimes I wonder about people lol

Old 07-03-2021, 09:14 PM

425 posts, read 505,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post

Sounds like you hate the idea of what a white picket fence symbolizes (the American dream, freedom, traditionalism, etc.). It’s not meant to be to privacy fence. And if it needs further explaining, maybe you need to start with history lessons around the era of 1776.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers