Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 02:42 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

In the following article Bentonville and Fayetteville are listed to be in the test market.

Dish 5G Wireless has installed antennas on the tower at the water tower close to Branchwood and there is a new tower off of Forest Hills Blvd with the antennas. Bella Vista may be part of testing starting around June. There are other towers in Rogers plus Bentonville that has the new antennas.

This is for cell and internet services not television. This could be another option for us in Bella Vista where AT&T or Cox will not service us.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish.../d/d-id/775556
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 09:08 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
When we had our big fire here in Paradise, CA, we spent 2 months in Red Bluff during the evacuation. Moving back, in January 2019, we finally got NG, water, and electric service activated in the first week of January.

So I turn on the kitchen lights, everything works, and dial Dish Network customer service on the cell phone; we didn't get landline service restored until April, if I remember well.

Nice lady answers in 40 seconds, I explain that we have electric now and we are wondering how long would it take to restore TV reception through the satellite dish. Our dish antenna wasn't damaged. She says, and I quote, "Please call again in 15 minutes if you don't have a good reception."

She lied. It took less than 2 minutes, and another 5 minutes for booting up the main unit, and we had the 150 channels up and running on all 3 sets in the house. I could even watch the very last local news recordings taken before we left the house.

Our neighbors on Comcast cable couldn't get TV until the end of April. We had Dish Network for over 13 years and I love their customer service. If they ever offer Internet access here in the mountains, I would join if the cost is reasonable.

Last edited by mgforshort; 03-24-2022 at 09:28 AM..

Old 03-24-2022, 11:25 PM

290 posts, read 151,199 times
Always liked the old downtown area of Red Bluff for the way it had been largely preserved, unlike Redding's old downtown with the redevelopment on Market St. seeming completely out of place, especially when you look at old picture postcards of how it used to be.

As for Dish TV service, so long as everything at the house was still in order it's bound to be a quick restoration of service as everything is coming from the satellite. Restoring cable TV service after a bad fire like Paradise is going to take much longer, since much of the distribution infrastructure on the ground needs to be rebuilt.

As far as internet service via satellite goes, it's normally a last resort if nothing else is available. The much more limited bandwidth available means that you're almost certainly going to pay considerably more for service than DSL or your local cable TV provider, and be subject to much lower monthly data limits and stricter policies for exceeding the limit along with higher overage charges. The other thing to keep in mind about satellite internet is that latency and jitter are generally going to be much higher; depending upon what you use the service for, that may or may not be a significant issue for you.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:45 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
The new Dish 5G will not be per a satellite. It will be per towers like T-Mobile, AT&T & Verizon are using.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:08 PM

290 posts, read 151,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The new Dish 5G will not be per a satellite. It will be per towers like T-Mobile, AT&T & Verizon are using.
Sure - I was just commenting that with satellite restoration of service isn't going to be an issue so long as your house with the equipment is still standing and you have electricity. Restoring cable service after a wildfire could involve replacing poles, running miles of new cable, installing new amplifiers and cross-connects along the route, etc.

Cellular service will fall somewhere in between in such a damage scenario, depending upon whether a local tower and its equipment was damaged, or any other link providing a connection to that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers