Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 10:30 AM

251 posts, read 641,015 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Wife and I are in our mid 30s with a 3 year old child, and looking to relocate from South AR to NWA. Her family all live there. I love the area but have always been hesitant to move there.

With nothing to do down here very much near El Dorado, we'd like to give our daughter a better school, and tons more opportunities, plus much more help with our daughter if we need it, and more family events.

We both currently work in the defense industry. My job is fully remote, and I can likely keep my job as is and move. If I ever need to be on site, I can easily stay with my parents who live 15 minutes away from our work. I would also be able to keep my current pay, and still get my annual raise and bonus which would help, since NWA COL will be more than south AR.

My wife's job is likely not able to be a remote position, so we are hoping she can either get another position in our company that allows full time remote work, or if not, get a new job that pays at least what she's currently making.

We don't owe very much on our current home, so selling, we would likely make a decent profit and have that as a good down payment toward a new property. We are looking around the 275k or less range.

Our current interest rate is 4.1%, so I'm assuming we're gonna be screwed on new housing rates, even with an over 800 credit score.

Her family lives in Springdale and Rogers, but we aren't too particular on any of the places as long as it's near a good school, or close to where she may would have to get a new job.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. We've never made a move like this and it seems dauntingly overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 07:38 PM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
My recommendation is that you don't move here. Sure, there's lots of jobs, and the schools are pretty much very good to excellent, but I would recommend moving somewhere with mature infrastructure. Getting around Northwest Arkansas is straight ass, housing is getting to be very expensive, and the "culture" here is an artificial construct of the Walton family designed to attract employees from the coast. If you like artsy stuff and bicycling this just might be heaven, but if you're a Southern normie it's not. If I wasn't attached to my employer, being well compensated for a job I like quite a bit, I'd have already cashed out and moved to Tulsa. That's still my retirement plan.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:53 PM

158 posts, read 659,203 times
I would go ahead and start to explore the option. Talk to realtors in both cities to confirm how much money you'll need to purchase the new home you want and understand time frames for selling yours etc. Have your wife start looking for jobs. Research the schools. Put together a moving budget and make a pros and cons list. Everything could fall into place quickly and easily or slowly with the job search and sale of home. Sometimes you find the perfect house and your buyer flakes or the job offer doesn't come and it can be hard to let go and wait. But don't settle, you'll regret it. Just be patient and wait until the situation is right. Do your homework and be thorough. After you start the process you may discover it's not the right time or place and change your mind. Moving can be very exciting but also very stressful and understand it can take a couple of years to really settle in somewhere new and feel like your "home." But, change is good for growth and your family is young, so time is on your side. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2023, 09:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
275k is going to be tough, as it is below the average home price in all of the big towns.

I'd suggest renting in one of the smaller towns until your wife's job situation is cleared up.

As the other poster commented, commutes can be an issue. It still isn't anything like a larger metro (DFW or Houston or Austin) but it is getting to be an issue in some areas.

The area is pretty big now, as you are aware, and the various towns all have something different to offer. If your wife's best job opportunities seem to be in Benton County, I'd look there first. Gravette, Pea Ridge, Bella Vista. There are some reasonably priced homes in Bella Vista with Bentonville school district, and Bella Vista is a nice quiet area to raise a family.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:54 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
If you like artsy stuff and bicycling this just might be heaven, but if you're a Southern normie it's not. If I wasn't attached to my employer, being well compensated for a job I like quite a bit, I'd have already cashed out and moved to Tulsa. That's still my retirement plan.
While I agree with this sentiment about Bentonville proper, I don't think it applies to most of the metro. I heard someone say in Fayetteville the other day that the Mason-Dixon line is now located along Wagon Wheel Road (north Springdale). Fayetteville doesn't feel curated or contrived in any way to me. Bentonville certainly has a bit of that Colorado vibe these days, and there seems to be a real effort to out-hipster each other. Lots of expensive restaurants and trendy bars are popping up lately.

There's still plenty of genuine "southern normie" stuff to do around here. I'd suggest to you that there are still many more bass fishermen than mountain bikers in the metro. And there is a SEC university located here with all the sports and activities that implies. Most of the outdoors activities we engage in don't involve mountain biking. Besides, people have been mountain biking here for decades. I'm friends with some folks who were hand-building mountain biking trails in the Fayetteville area as far back as the early 1990s. It isn't as if a Walton just decided to transplant mountain biking culture here wholesale. Cycling has been very popular here for a long time.

The Joe Martin Stage Race in Fayetteville has taken place annually since the 1970s, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers