Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,855,373 times

Advertisements

Even the Seattle SuperSonics are moving to Oklahoma City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,346,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
There has been in influx of folks from California / west coast to Northwest Arkansas the past few years.

I am curious what is the attraction? I know that Californians are used to having the mountains and scenic desert on one side and the Pacific ocean beaches on the other.

And you folks are also used to reliably mild weather. There are no beaches nearby here in NWA. So what is the attraction?

Understand I am not criticizing anyone or anything - I am just curious and want to understand.
Easy. Cheap land, beautiful outdoor scenery, and jobs (I'm thinking Wal Mart here).

Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 AM

452 posts, read 1,639,093 times
I have no idea why anyone would want to live in CA, thats not America...

Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
I am not sure CA is still part of America?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,617,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
I was thinking the same thing about Arkansas......

Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,231,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure CA is still part of America?

That's harsh.

Why does there have to be so much hate between states? I personally would not want to live in Arkansas but that doesn't mean it's a bad state or not part of America. I think every state has something to offer and has beauty in it's own way.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:08 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,900,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was thinking the same thing about Arkansas......
Nice comeback, sav. But seriously, what's with the California bashing? I know it's a totally different world in AR vs CA, but we're all humans AND Americans - and you don't see us badmouthing other states on the CA boards very often. Anyway, sorry to butt in, but these anti-California threads are getting old.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,617,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nice comeback, sav. But seriously, what's with the California bashing? I know it's a totally different world in AR vs CA, but we're all humans AND Americans - and you don't see us badmouthing other states on the CA boards very often. Anyway, sorry to butt in, but these anti-California threads are getting old.
no kidding! I don't have any negative opinions about Arkansas or really any other states and obviously said that in defense of CA; they all seem to have their good and bad points. I might not care for some of them but sure as hell don't hate any of them. Generally, CA has always been very accepting and welcoming to newcomers from all over the nation and world for decades.

It's weird, I've seen 3 anti-CA threads in the last day or two; here and in the ID and OR forums as well. I normally don't come into other states forums but these anti-CA threads caught my eye. And yes it's getting old.....

Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,900,593 times
Totally... maybe that's why the typical migration is from other states TO California. We especially attract "different" people, who feel unwelcomed & rejected in other parts of the country - I guess that's how we've gotten the reputation for being the weirdo state, since we take in people who can't live elsewhere. Personally I'm proud of that, and think it's what makes CA such a vibrant and interesting place to live!

I just remind myself that there's a reason we don't badmouth other states... there's no reason to, since we are content with our surroundings. No reason to complain when you're happy, right?? And to answer the OP's question, I think people are moving out of CA simply because of the high cost-of-living... why Arkansas, I have no idea, but they're probably just seeking a different & cheaper environment.

P.S. I realize the OP wasn't bashing us, and just asking an honest question - so no hard feelings there, lol.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,093 times
Default Ca

I have alot of weird ideas about many things. Ive just never considered California or any of the west coast for that matter to be "part of us," and like the rest of the U.S. in any way. It seems to me that CA is more of a "manufactured american ideal," which lacks real culture (its a melting pot) and lacks "real american seasons" as do most places west of the rocky mountain front range. I have also personally had alot of bad experiences with people "from California," but they were actually at one time mid-westerners who had went to CA and now have came back with their CA money and are now "better" than anyone else. It's almost like California permanently changes and warps people and they are never quite the same. Its the only type of state that really does this IMO. Could someone please tell me again why thousands of people flocked there (including my own grandparents in the 1950s and 60s)?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers