Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
Are there really a lot of Californians moving to AR? I am dying to meet them!!! I am a native Californian who moved here 2 years ago and am extremely lonely for home. I've worked so hard to find a place in my community, but Arkansas has proved much less than hospitable. I would love to meet other displaced Californians. To answer the original question, I think the only reason a Californian would move to Arkansas would be under false pretense. I can understand why native Arkansans would like it here because home is just home, no matter where you're from.
wow, I don't know where you live in AR, but your experience isn't terribly common. I don't know why you moved here or what you expected, but if you continue to want to meet people from Ca because it will help you with your feelings of home sickness, this could be one of your problems. When we re-locate to a new area we need to accept that area and embrace it.

Yes, home is home, but many of us learn to love a new home.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,539 times
We live in north eastern California. I was born and raised here and have lived in Oregon and Nevada, too. The liberal cities run this state and the rest of us are largely conservative and enjoy small town communities and values amidst the extreme beauty and great weather. The liberals are increasing, though, and while that is not all bad, it is mostly bad when it comes to politics, high taxes and foolish laws. What I do like about a small population of liberals is that they bring some diversity to our culture.. in music, whole healthy foods, clothing and a balance to the rigidity that can exist in some conservatives. But when the balance shifts to where the liberals are in charge then things fall apart and faulty ideas take over.

I don't want to leave California, but my husband does. His parents and some siblings live in Arkansas and more of them are returning. We live on 5 acres and have 3 horses and a family cow. It's crowded and we'd like more room to grow our own hay and have more cows. We could trade our homestead here for a larger one in Arkansas and have money left over. It's very appealing and I am giving it long and thoughtful consideration.

The things that hold me back are the weather (too hot and too cold), the bugs and the severity of storms (lightning and tornadoes). We have four seasons here but they are mild and quite enjoyable. Rarely too cold or hot. Low humidity. I get maybe 4 mosquito bites a year. Traffic is not bad and there are some jobs for those willing to work. I also have lots of family here and am very attached to them.

But aside from the land trade up, other reasons to go are the out of control illegal immigration, the constant push for higher taxes, the push to legalize marijuana, the city voters who never seem to learn that the selfish and corrupt idiots they elect are destroying us. We are somewhat insulated from the effects up in the hills where we live, but it's a matter of time before it hits us, too. Even in these depressed times, the market value on our little house on 5 acres is about $400k. For half that we could get set up and be free to work our own farm and contribute to the community where we move. That is what we wish... to integrate into the existing culture and also to prepare for the coming hard times nationwide because you can't do to a country what the politicians are doing, and not have dire consequences.

These are the thoughts that this native Californian has when she considers going to Arkansas (or southern Missouri, or northeast Texas) with her husband.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Dun View Post
We live in north eastern California. I was born and raised here and have lived in Oregon and Nevada, too. The liberal cities run this state and the rest of us are largely conservative and enjoy small town communities and values amidst the extreme beauty and great weather. The liberals are increasing, though, and while that is not all bad, it is mostly bad when it comes to politics, high taxes and foolish laws. What I do like about a small population of liberals is that they bring some diversity to our culture.. in music, whole healthy foods, clothing and a balance to the rigidity that can exist in some conservatives. But when the balance shifts to where the liberals are in charge then things fall apart and faulty ideas take over.

I don't want to leave California, but my husband does. His parents and some siblings live in Arkansas and more of them are returning. We live on 5 acres and have 3 horses and a family cow. It's crowded and we'd like more room to grow our own hay and have more cows. We could trade our homestead here for a larger one in Arkansas and have money left over. It's very appealing and I am giving it long and thoughtful consideration.

The things that hold me back are the weather (too hot and too cold), the bugs and the severity of storms (lightning and tornadoes). We have four seasons here but they are mild and quite enjoyable. Rarely too cold or hot. Low humidity. I get maybe 4 mosquito bites a year. Traffic is not bad and there are some jobs for those willing to work. I also have lots of family here and am very attached to them.

But aside from the land trade up, other reasons to go are the out of control illegal immigration, the constant push for higher taxes, the push to legalize marijuana, the city voters who never seem to learn that the selfish and corrupt idiots they elect are destroying us. We are somewhat insulated from the effects up in the hills where we live, but it's a matter of time before it hits us, too. Even in these depressed times, the market value on our little house on 5 acres is about $400k. For half that we could get set up and be free to work our own farm and contribute to the community where we move. That is what we wish... to integrate into the existing culture and also to prepare for the coming hard times nationwide because you can't do to a country what the politicians are doing, and not have dire consequences.

These are the thoughts that this native Californian has when she considers going to Arkansas (or southern Missouri, or northeast Texas) with her husband.
All the places you mentioned, NWA, NET or MO would fit your life style to no end. If I were choosing I wouldn't want East Texas just because of the heat. We were with friends yesterday, here in NWA and their comment; gee it can't be the 4th, the temps aren't over 100. They are from the Dallas area.

When I hear the mention of hay for instance, I think about a few days ago when hubby and I were on our way to a small rural location to pick berries. We passed all the small farms where they were just harvesting th hay. It just felt so good. It just reminds of the days a century ago when our families all worked the farms and how proud they were to be able to contribute to what makes our country good.

Nita

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We passed all the small farms where they were just harvesting th hay. It just felt so good.
Nita
Hey, Nita.......

If you want to feel even better, c'mon down for the next cut.

I can set you in the seat on a 200 acre field.

Just 'cause you're one of the best posters here, I'll let ya run the rake & baler too!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
First crop ?

Here in Minnesota,most farmers have finished their 2nd cutting.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
First crop ?

Here in Minnesota,most farmers have finished their 2nd cutting.
Nope, first crop, and I can guarantee you there won't be a third this year.

If we don't get some rain someday, there may not be a second.

Even the bermuda is going dormant, and that stuff can practically live in the desert.

Ya'll got rain and cool weather grasses up there. You get an earlier start on it than we do.

This fescue ain't that fast to wake up.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Yup, gotta have rain to get hay.

I recall 1988 when everything was brown and dormant by the end of June.

Rainfall is " king" and can make or break hay yield.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
9 minutes is a long time for my brain. Forget the 22 seconds.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:31 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
I live in the same county where that happened. Guy ws legally target practicing. He was arrested, his keys taken from him, his house entered, his safe opened with the keys and all his guns taken. The cops are caught on tape trying to figure out how they're going to get around the 4th amendment.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Good Ganja?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers