Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 30,671 times

Advertisements

We may find ourselves relocating to Bentonville due to a job change. We truly love our town in the Shenandoah Valley of VA -- What is Bentonville like? is there any artistic community -- music, dance, etc. Is there a sense of global awareness? Also, does anyone know if there is an autism "support" community there? We're looking forward to more info!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiemom View Post
We may find ourselves relocating to Bentonville due to a job change. We truly love our town in the Shenandoah Valley of VA -- What is Bentonville like? is there any artistic community -- music, dance, etc. Is there a sense of global awareness? Also, does anyone know if there is an autism "support" community there? We're looking forward to more info!
As for the Autism support group, I am sure that will not be a problem, as for artistic community, you probably would find more of that in FAyetteville which would be about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from Bentonville.

You will find the same natural beauty in NWA as in the Shenandoah valley, maybe even more in some areas, but it sounds like you are more into the laid back life style, more artsy and maybe liberal. NWA is, for the most part pretty conservative, is one of the fasting growning area in the midwest (is the fastest I think) and though it offers a back home feeling, lots of farming, etc it is contempory as well, malls, chain restaurants, some traffic conjestion, and several little towns that make up one big area.

If you are looking for what you have now, you will probably be disappointed, if you open up your mind and look for the good here, you will love it.

Nita

Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
is one of the fasting growning area in the midwest (is the fastest I think)
With all due respect, NWA is hardly part of the Midwest.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
With all due respect, NWA is hardly part of the Midwest.
you know what?you are completely right, geographically, but many will argue about the customs and attitudes. I argued (on your side btw) about whether it was south or midwest, I got set stright by many who feel it is more mid west in attitude than it is southern. From what I have been told, this refers to NWA, not the rest of the state from Ft Smith south. I know Ft Smith is considered NWA as well, but just from the little I have observed Ft Smith is very different demographically as well as in other ways from areas like Washington and Benton county.

You know you didn't have to answer in such defensive manner. I was giving my views, you have yours. I see you are located in IN, do you find my comments insulting to you or do you think AR is not up to par with the midwest?

Nita

Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
you know what?you are completely right, geographically, but many will argue about the customs and attitudes. I argued (on your side btw) about whether it was south or midwest, I got set stright by many who feel it is more mid west in attitude than it is southern. From what I have been told, this refers to NWA, not the rest of the state from Ft Smith south. I know Ft Smith is considered NWA as well, but just from the little I have observed Ft Smith is very different demographically as well as in other ways from areas like Washington and Benton county.

You know you didn't have to answer in such defensive manner. I was giving my views, you have yours. I see you are located in IN, do you find my comments insulting to you or do you think AR is not up to par with the midwest?

Nita
I'm sorry if I came across as defensive. It wasn't my intent. I lived in Arkansas for 8 years, graduating from Jonesboro High School and Arkansas State University. The other 31 years of my life have been spent in the Midwest. While living in Arkansas I spent plenty of time in NWA. It's just my observation that NWA is more like the south in terms of its social, religious and political attitudes. It also doesn't have the same urban/rural mix that exists in the industrial Midwest.

As more outsiders have moved in due to Wal Mart and its suppliers, I don't doubt that they are having a change influence. But some things are still the same. Case in point: Benton County is still dry. There's no doubt, on the other hand, that NWA -- Fayetteville in particular -- is the most progressive area of the state.

Please don't take any of my comments as a knock. I enjoy visiting NWA. It is one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry if I came across as defensive. It wasn't my intent. I lived in Arkansas for 8 years, graduating from Jonesboro High School and Arkansas State University. The other 31 years of my life have been spent in the Midwest. While living in Arkansas I spent plenty of time in NWA. It's just my observation that NWA is more like the south in terms of its social, religious and political attitudes. It also doesn't have the same urban/rural mix that exists in the industrial Midwest.

As more outsiders have moved in due to Wal Mart and its suppliers, I don't doubt that they are having a change influence. But some things are still the same. Case in point: Benton County is still dry. There's no doubt, on the other hand, that NWA -- Fayetteville in particular -- is the most progressive area of the state.

Please don't take any of my comments as a knock. I enjoy visiting NWA. It is one of the most beautiful parts of the country.
ok, sorry I came on so strong as well, but I do think NWA is as much mid=west as south: Dry county, that you are right about. That is why my car knows just how to get to the MO boarder in just a few minutes. Other than that, I think, in this little corner you would see many comparisons. Of course, depending on where you live in the mid west would make a difference and what you call mid west. No, we probably do not have the urban feel of St Louis or Kansas City, but we do have all the amenities, including theatre, good shopping, great dining, and good medical facilities, just to mention some of the selling features. Mix with this, we still only have to go 15 minutes in almost any direction to feel the country life. Oh, not only do we have Wal Mart, we have a few other large corporations which is bringing a different enviorment to the area. This may not be all good for some.

You mention politics, I am not sure what you are referring to: we are more liberal versus conservative or visa versa? Are you referring to open minded versus closed minded?

Now, let's make Benton Co wet and we will be more Mid West than you think...

Nita

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You mention politics, I am not sure what you are referring to: we are more liberal versus conservative or visa versa? Are you referring to open minded versus closed minded?
Politically, both regions could be described as conservative, but I do believe that the conservatism comes from different angles. Conservatives in the south, I believe, tend to be more focused on moral issues whereas conservatism in the Midwest is more focused on fiscal responsibility and limited government. That's not to say that moral issues don't factor into the thinking of some Midwestern conservatives, nor am I saying that fiscal matters and limited government aren't of concern to conservatives in the south. In the aggregate, however, I believe they possess a different focus. And it's been my observation that conservatives in NWA are more in line with Southern conservatives. Others may certainly disagree with me.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Politically, both regions could be described as conservative, but I do believe that the conservatism comes from different angles. Conservatives in the south, I believe, tend to be more focused on moral issues whereas conservatism in the Midwest is more focused on fiscal responsibility and limited government. That's not to say that moral issues don't factor into the thinking of some Midwestern conservatives, nor am I saying that fiscal matters and limited government aren't of concern to conservatives in the south. In the aggregate, however, I believe they possess a different focus. And it's been my observation that conservatives in NWA are more in line with Southern conservatives. Others may certainly disagree with me.
Well, remember I live in the far NW corner so probably see more of mixture. Yes, religion plays a big part in many lives, but I think the middle and southern part of the state are more to the religious right. Maybe that is because so many of us are from everwhere but Arkansas. I totally agree with your feelings about fiscal versus moral conservatism and feel the upper midwest and MO are more fiscally conservative, but I think part of MO falls closer to the southern moral view (religious right) This is a very interesting discussion isn't it?

Nita

Old 07-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well, remember I live in the far NW corner so probably see more of mixture. Yes, religion plays a big part in many lives, but I think the middle and southern part of the state are more to the religious right. Maybe that is because so many of us are from everwhere but Arkansas. I totally agree with your feelings about fiscal versus moral conservatism and feel the upper midwest and MO are more fiscally conservative, but I think part of MO falls closer to the southern moral view (religious right) This is a very interesting discussion isn't it?

Nita
Don't forget eastern Arkansas. Having lived in Jonesboro, I can attest to the fact that it is full of religious zealots.

To what degree do you think NWA's growth has come from outside of Arkansas? And, from where are the outsiders moving?

As for Missouri, I have family in the St. Louis area, and I've heard/read discussion in media there regarding which region St. Louis belongs. Apparently many St. Louisans see themselves as southern. Kansas Citians certainly see themselves as Midwestern, so it appears that state is split.

Sounds like it's time for me to pay another visit to NWA!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiemom View Post
Fayetteville is where you will find the artistic community, near the university. Its about the only area in NWA with any kind of character. Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, and north Fayetteville is all one huge sprawl of suburbia. Think miles and miles of strip malls and subdivisions. Don't know anything about autism, but NWA schools are very good and should have something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers