Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenPainter View Post
Personally speaking, I like to some of these threads updated to reflect whats changed (or has not changed) since the OP started the thread. I was happy to see the new posts because I am still researching states we would like to check out next year.

We've recently added Arkansas to our list....
Glad you have enjoyed these outdated posts and are considering AR for your future home. We, originally came from CA and now here, but via, DC, Dallas and NM. We couldn't be happier with our choice to spend our autumn years here. It has everything we need and is the friendliest place we have ever lived. We did check out Ft Smith, but is just wasn't quite what we were looking for in our forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,163 times
I moved here over 25 years ago after living near St. Louis. Went to Ft. Smith back in March. I've been living in Springdale for nearly 20 years. Ft. Smith was just sad. Never had a reason to go there much, but I realized just how run down it really is. Downtown area is very tired and it looks like the town just gave up trying to make anything look good anymore. And the Marshals Museum has been over-hyped since day one. I only hope it as successful as people think it will be.

NWA is vibrant and new. When I came here, the developed mall area in Fayetteville was just open fields. NWA has a low employment rate and is thriving economically. I feel bad for Ft. Smith but it seems there is so much more growth up here that they should be a part of too. It probably is conservative politics (I mean not taking risks, not the philosophy) that is holding Ft. Smith back so much. They need to look at our area and develop a future plan for down the road. That kind of thinking has contributed a lot to NWA's successful growth over the last 20 years. The regional approach to growth is a big reason NWA is so far ahead now.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubville View Post
I moved here over 25 years ago after living near St. Louis. Went to Ft. Smith back in March. I've been living in Springdale for nearly 20 years. Ft. Smith was just sad. Never had a reason to go there much, but I realized just how run down it really is. Downtown area is very tired and it looks like the town just gave up trying to make anything look good anymore. And the Marshals Museum has been over-hyped since day one. I only hope it as successful as people think it will be.

NWA is vibrant and new. When I came here, the developed mall area in Fayetteville was just open fields. NWA has a low employment rate and is thriving economically. I feel bad for Ft. Smith but it seems there is so much more growth up here that they should be a part of too. It probably is conservative politics (I mean not taking risks, not the philosophy) that is holding Ft. Smith back so much. They need to look at our area and develop a future plan for down the road. That kind of thinking has contributed a lot to NWA's successful growth over the last 20 years. The regional approach to growth is a big reason NWA is so far ahead now.
I have to agree with you mostly. When we visited Fort Smith to do some house hunting before we made our decision to consider BV we were a little put off by the run down condition of some to what we saw The actually downtown area near the river was really cool and we enjoyed seeing some of the churches and other spots, but the rest of the city just didn't do it for us. We also, based on some of the people we did talk to, got the idea it might be a bit to churchy for us. We are regular church people, many of our activities are based around our church, but certainly not the "holier than though" type.

I would not agree with you though that Ft Smith is sad, it just doesn't seem to have the vibes that NWA as in Benton and Washington County have.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Fort Smith is older than the NWA boomtowns. It was traditionally a river port and gateway to the American southwest. It never had a major university, but had industry which has largely left the area. It is a diverse town with a large Hispanic minority and a Vietnamese community.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Fort Smith is older than the NWA boomtowns. It was traditionally a river port and gateway to the American southwest. It never had a major university, but had industry which has largely left the area. It is a diverse town with a large Hispanic minority and a Vietnamese community.
Good to know. I would imagine most of us didn't know about the diversity.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
I hope FT Smith is not that bad.. my daughter is going to attend medical school there...……..

Old 03-01-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I hope FT Smith is not that bad.. my daughter is going to attend medical school there...……..
I am sure she will enjoy herself and hopefully, will be an,excellent doctor. The city isn't bad at all, it is just not much of a city period. It just kind of sets there and really doesn't amount to much, but there is nothing really horrible about the city either.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good to know. I would imagine most of us didn't know about the diversity.
Many Vietnamese refugees were initially relocated to Fort Chaffee, on the outskirts of Greenwood, just south of Fort Smith, after the fall of Saigon. They stuck around and made this area their new home. I had a vibrant elderly cousin in Van Buren who taught piano to many children of Vietnamese background - the love was mutual between them.

Sebastian County was where a branch of my Arkansas ancestors settled, taught school, and farmed. It has a very rich and dramatic Civil War history, and the restored fort itself is a national historic park. It is well-preserved and a must see for anyone interested in NWA history. The public library in Fort Smith is also impressive and has an excellent local history department.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Many Vietnamese refugees were initially relocated to Fort Chaffee, on the outskirts of Greenwood, just south of Fort Smith, after the fall of Saigon. They stuck around and made this area their new home. I had a vibrant elderly cousin in Van Buren who taught piano to many children of Vietnamese background - the love was mutual between them.

Sebastian County was where a branch of my Arkansas ancestors settled, taught school, and farmed. It has a very rich and dramatic Civil War history, and the restored fort itself is a national historic park. It is well-preserved and a must see for anyone interested in NWA history. The public library in Fort Smith is also impressive and has an excellent local history department.
We have spent time in Fort Smith. In fact we did some house hunting there when we were trying to decide where to settle after leaving NM> Regardless of the history and we found the town a fun and interesting place to visit, right now it is not the top of most people's place to live in AR. This certainly is not meant to be a put down, it is just fact.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:11 PM

7 posts, read 8,594 times
My family is thinking of relocating to the Fort Smith or surrounding areas. My son visited there a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. My husband and I are planning a visit in the next month or two. My son loved the friendliness of the people, cleanliness of the stores and the vibe he got there.

We are coming from New Mexico and this state is going downhill FAST! We are just hoping to find a quiet life there to spend our retirement years.

What areas does anyone recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers