Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM

44 posts, read 126,305 times

Advertisements

I think this fighting among Fay-Spr-Rogers and Bntnvle for anchor status would stop if the four cities would just merge into one city. That would also overtake Little Rock as the state's largest city, and make a city that is cole to half a million people. This is how New York City solved their fighting among the five boroughs which was five different cities before their merger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Well, this is a rather complicated topic. I do not think you will see many true mergers happen in the US anymore like what happened with NYC. I think I may have used the term "merger" in a different thread but there are new, modern legal tools in the municipal playbook for effecting consolidation of resources that provide for future flexibility not provided by a true merger. A confederation is one. This would allow the 4 cities of NWA to charter a metro-wide planning and resource sharing agenda without giving up local autonomy. The new metro transit planning group is a tiny step in that direction.

Would this end the bickering? Not really, but it would neutralize some of the negative impact of the bickering that occurs on a local scale, IMO.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the fighting.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the fighting.

Me either... I assume you are talking on a city government level?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I really have to say I'm unaware of all this perceived fighting. Yes, there's been some conflict over water supplies, and there have been some annexation issues, but those annexation issues are rarely between the 4 major municipalities. Bentonville and Rogers have worked jointly on numerous issues, and I'm sure Springdale and Fayetteville also work jointly on various projects. So what exactly is the OP referencing with all the "fighting"?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 AM

452 posts, read 1,639,577 times
It is obviously the only solution to many of the problems it would make things far less complicated. Just call it Northwest City, AR. Just like Southwest City, MO, Kansas City, Oregon City, OR etc etc etc. Where are u from, Im from Northwest City, oh ok ....see how simple that makes it.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:44 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I really have to say I'm unaware of all this perceived fighting. Yes, there's been some conflict over water supplies, and there have been some annexation issues, but those annexation issues are rarely between the 4 major municipalities. Bentonville and Rogers have worked jointly on numerous issues, and I'm sure Springdale and Fayetteville also work jointly on various projects. So what exactly is the OP referencing with all the "fighting"?

Fighting really isn't quite the right word. There's definitely a competition between the cities though. To some extent it could be healthly but in the areas of transit and general infrastructure there's a distinct disconnect between the 4 cities as evidenced by the prevailing stance for the western bypass in Benton Co. and a major opposition to it in Fayetteville.

In the area of commerce, since each city is charting it's own course and competing for tax revenue, there seems to be a tendency to allow overbuilding in some sectors, particularly restaurants, that leads to future business failures.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Just call it Northwest City and use the original towns as the different neighborhoods. Like the Springdale neighborhood of NW City, old Fayetteville part of NW City. Bentonville neighborhood etc etc

Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajoh81 View Post
I think this fighting among Fay-Spr-Rogers and Bntnvle for anchor status would stop if the four cities would just merge into one city. That would also overtake Little Rock as the state's largest city, and make a city that is cole to half a million people. This is how New York City solved their fighting among the five boroughs which was five different cities before their merger.
this is now, not then. Would it stop what you think is fighting? Probably not, then you would have people thinking their part of town is better or their side of 540 should get the extra tax $$s, whatever. Will they merge someday? Maybe, at least a couple of them, but I don't see this happening in the near future.

Nita

Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM

I huge merge is the only option in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers