Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 05:17 PM

44 posts, read 126,424 times

Advertisements

This is not to take a swipe at anyone, but when I worked for the Wal-Mart store in Bentonville, many of my co-workers would always complain that the people from Bella Vista are rude and snobby, especially the older ones who moved there from the north. I never really interacted with any of those customers so I really never knew how they really are . What do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 48,391 times
Our personal experience was a discussion with an older gentleman at a golf course who was upset with "young" families moving in and that he did not want sidewalks to be built. So, if we wanted sidewalks we should go elsewhere. Another of his ranting comments was that all these Californians were moving in driving up the costs, causing traffic and taking over their "retirement" community which I found amusing because he himself was also a transplant. We were kind in talking with him and of course didn't let him know we were from California. I can certainly understand his frustrations if he had moved in quite some time ago looking for a quiet retirement home to golf and fish because it has grown considerably; however, I think having young families in a neighborhood keeps it alive! Another incident we had was at the Clubhouse I was purchasing a gift certificate for my husband to golf and had my two children at the time 4 and 2. They were walking around and went straight for the window at the beautiful view of the golf course. Of course they put their hands up and touched the glass to which an older gentleman yelled at them because they were putting finger prints on the glass... of course scaring them. It was really unncessary. I am very attentive to the behaviors of my children and expect them to be at their best especially in other places...

these have been our personal experiences; however, I'm sure for every grumpy ole guy up there there are a few very nice people... at least I hope so.

I do believe for the older folks who retired up there some years ago the influx of newbies may be frustrating for them, but I hope that they can adjust and learn to share their little bit of paradise.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajoh81 View Post
This is not to take a swipe at anyone, but when I worked for the Wal-Mart store in Bentonville, many of my co-workers would always complain that the people from Bella Vista are rude and snobby, especially the older ones who moved there from the north. I never really interacted with any of those customers so I really never knew how they really are . What do you think??
Believe me, this is not limited to Bella Vista. We have pockets of that around where I live also.

My wife works part time at a Wal Mart, and within a month of starting there, she could guess pretty much where someone was living before they even wrote the check.

It's unfortunate, but the few end up branding the majority. There are good folks *everywhere*, but some folks come in and build a big house, or buy a small one, and don't leave their attitude at the door when they move.

We've discussed before the reactions some folks get when they say they're moving to Arkansas, and some of those criticizers end up moving here also for the obvious advantages.

The "better than thou" attitude is present in a few, and somehow they get more attention than the good folks who have acclimated.

You never remember the dog that wagged it's tail as much as the one that bit you.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattpar View Post
Our personal experience was a discussion with an older gentleman at a golf course who was upset with "young" families moving in and that he did not want sidewalks to be built. So, if we wanted sidewalks we should go elsewhere. Another of his ranting comments was that all these Californians were moving in driving up the costs, causing traffic and taking over their "retirement" community which I found amusing because he himself was also a transplant. We were kind in talking with him and of course didn't let him know we were from California. I can certainly understand his frustrations if he had moved in quite some time ago looking for a quiet retirement home to golf and fish because it has grown considerably; however, I think having young families in a neighborhood keeps it alive! Another incident we had was at the Clubhouse I was purchasing a gift certificate for my husband to golf and had my two children at the time 4 and 2. They were walking around and went straight for the window at the beautiful view of the golf course. Of course they put their hands up and touched the glass to which an older gentleman yelled at them because they were putting finger prints on the glass... of course scaring them. It was really unncessary. I am very attentive to the behaviors of my children and expect them to be at their best especially in other places...

these have been our personal experiences; however, I'm sure for every grumpy ole guy up there there are a few very nice people... at least I hope so.

I do believe for the older folks who retired up there some years ago the influx of newbies may be frustrating for them, but I hope that they can adjust and learn to share their little bit of paradise.
ok, lets say this: Older people can be grumpy even me. now, that being said, more families are moving into BV all the time and I can tell you most of us welcome them. We are glad to bring life back into our village. As for rudeness, my opinion: the person who worked for Wal Mart and said those in BV were snobs and rude may have created some of her own problems. I think many people think of BV as a community of rich seniors: not true. Do many have a little more money than average? Sure, but many of us just barely get by. We had the same situation when we lived in NM. Our community happened to be a golf course area, separtated from the town by a river. The town thought we were all snobs, again, not the case. Some people feel uncomfortable around those they think are better or wealthier than themselves, even if this isn't the case..

Nita

Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,435 times
it's like RogMar said, there are always a few rotten apples that spoil the bunch! You can find those apples just about anywhere. I really think you receive back what you put out. If when you encounter people whom you have already stereotyped as being rude or snobbish, then you are most likely going to perceive them as such. If, on the other hand, you plan to see each person for who they are and not where they live, you will most likely get a true picture!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattpar View Post
Of course they put their hands up and touched the glass to which an older gentleman yelled at them because they were putting finger prints on the glass... of course scaring them. It was really unncessary.
Sometimes folks build their own prisons, and bring them with them wherever they go.

Heck no that wasn't necessary.

Wasn't called for.

It's a gosh-durned *fingerprint* made by kids.

I've got a weak spot for dogs and kids.

In my life, I've seen they get treated the worst, forgive the fastest, and love the most.

Non-intentional trespasses into one's perceived world are nothing to raise an eyebrow about. It doesn't hurt, cost you money, or make your mama cry.

It's unfortunate we can't apologize to them for every transgression by people with a tilted view of their importance and stature of their place in a mortal life, and make the bad things go away.

Give that ol' fool a bottle of Windex......afterall, that *is* why he's there, take the kids for ice cream, and try to explain to them that people like him are put here to show the rest of us how *not* to act.

Last edited by RogMar; 10-26-2008 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: kant spel

Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Sometimes folks build their own prisons, and bring them with them wherever they go.

Heck no that wasn't necessary.

Wasn't called for.

It's a gosh-durned *fingerprint* made by kids.

I've got a weak spot for dogs and kids.

In my life, I've seen they get treated the worst, forgive the fastest, and love the most.

Non-intentional trespasses into one's perceived world are nothing to raise an eyebrow about. It doesn't hurt, cost you money, or make your mama cry.

It's unfortunate we can't apologize to them for every transgression by people with a tilted view of their importance and stature of their place in a mortal life, and make the bad things go away.

Give that ol' fool a bottle of Windex......afterall, that *is* why he's there, take the kids for ice cream, and try to explain to them that people like him are put here to show the rest of us how *not* to act.
Boy the fingerprint thing hit home yesterday, but it didn't bother us, we laugher instead:: Our granddaughter brought her 2 doggies to our house, one a Jack Russle and one a 14 wk old Choc Lab..We have a little dumb dog who we love, but he is dumb..Anyway we decided to go to Sunday brunch in Bentonville. Not sure how our dog would do with the puppy we separated them, leaving our doggy in the house and Sarah's 2 on the screened in porch. Returning home about 2 hours later was interesting to say the least: Puppy had decided Pat's straw hat was for him to crew or rip apart, the drink stirers on the low shelf of the bar were for him to crew on as well and obviously the glass door was meant to lick and paw cause the our dog was on the other side.

I still haven't cleaned the window, but I will today or tomorrow. BTW, I think leaving puppy on the screened in porch was a very bright thing, I would not want to imagine what the house might have looked like had we left puppy inside...

Nita

Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
My parents are trying to retire in Bella Vista. I visit it often because of my love for Eureka Springs. Anyway, been looking at real estate in that town for years and I am with that older man. Half of Bella Vista on the West side is retirement type and on the East is younger Bentonville, Rodgers workers with small children. This last year it has taken that go fishing and golfing feel away. You have mansions being built on the lakes. My fear for my parents is that all the retiree type stuff will be gone and it become just an extension of Bentionville.

I PERSONALLY FOUND THE FOLKS THERE IS BE VERY FRIENDLY.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
My parents are trying to retire in Bella Vista. I visit it often because of my love for Eureka Springs. Anyway, been looking at real estate in that town for years and I am with that older man. Half of Bella Vista on the West side is retirement type and on the East is younger Bentonville, Rodgers workers with small children. This last year it has taken that go fishing and golfing feel away. You have mansions being built on the lakes. My fear for my parents is that all the retiree type stuff will be gone and it become just an extension of Bentionville.

I PERSONALLY FOUND THE FOLKS THERE IS BE VERY FRIENDLY.
Debbie, I think it will be awhile before BV becomes Bentonville, it is so differeent, even the typography is different..

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers