Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I agree with you.The oil companies love seeing people in america struggle while they reap the profits.What sucks is the lousey,horrid politicians incl the pres & vp wont do a damn thing about it.
Hmmmm.....

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what the pres & vp are supposed to do to suppress *free enterprise*.

Personally, if my boss came to me and said, "Hey..Rog....I'm gonna give you a 50% pay raise and increase your benefits", I'm thinking my first response would not be, "No....no thanks, boss...as a matter of fact, I'd like to take a 15% pay cut".

Probably wouldn't be my second response either.

I'm pretty sure.

We're all here to make money, no matter what profession we're in, and make as much of it as we can.

This last boost in gas prices, in my opinion, was an experiment to see what the market would do.

Will people all give up their cars, take public transportation, walk, give up driving to the store for a whim purchase.....

No...a resounding "no" we responded.

Maybe I did, maybe you did, but we are the minority. They know that no matter what the price, we will buy it. We may not buy as much of it, but we'll still buy it for sure.

I sell timber.

Big, hardwood trees, some cedar, some pine.

I am selling as I sit here. I can hear the chainsaws and skidders working.

I sold in 2003, at the height of the building craze. Man, I made money. Timber prices were real good because everybody had to have oak floors and oak cabinets, and hickory amd cedar paneling.

I didn't set the prices, I just looked at the market figures and called the loggers.

Today, I'm making about 30-40% of what I made then, because folks aren't as rabid for overpriced hardwood stuff. Just about nobody is building.

Folks gave it up, and although if you went to buy it, it wouldn't be much cheaper, I'm the one that eats the difference.

I accept that.

We'll give up milk, eggs, movies, cd's, whatever...but face it, we're not going to give up gas.

As for OPEC, they didn't raise prices, they increased production, it was the speculators and some hurricanes raising that speculation that fanned those flames.

This is a bitter, bitter fruit that we bite into.

However, this is one of life's dilemmas that cannot be blamed on the President OR global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Can anyone report on what it is in Russellville at the Pilot and the Flying J? That's where we always buy gas on the way to the cabin.

Pilot is at 2.15 right now...you can always search for the best gas prices on GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

Arkansas Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Arkansas

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM

15 posts, read 45,745 times
Default WOW!! Can't wait to move to AR

I can't wait to move to AR. Here in upstate NY it is running about $2.79 gallon.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,435 times
My stepdaughter sent apicture text yesterday that showed $1.89 in Siloam Springs. My husband filled up in Hot Springs Monday for $1.98.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Maine here and yesterday just down the street from me it was $2.29 - I had paid $2.54 about a week ago. BUT oil has just gone up $6 a gallon so these prices probably won't last.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Maine here and yesterday just down the street from me it was $2.29 - I had paid $2.54 about a week ago. BUT oil has just gone up $6 a gallon so these prices probably won't last.
Yep. but we can enjoy it while it lasts! We all knew OPEC wasn't going to stand by and take a $1.00 or more per gallon profit cut without doing something about! That's really sad too, because I have seen more people out and about and more people in stores shopping since the gas prices went down.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Gas went up 1 cent a gallon from $2.09 for regular at Racetrack here in Jacksonville,Florida,so it looks like gas is back on the rise ,hopefully at a slow increase.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM

I just pray it doesn't go back up into the $4 range! Things were getting pretty tight around here!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
It made it under $2 in Maumelle before the weekend. We got gas in Van Buren on Saturday for $1.87!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,268 times
1.86$ in Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers