Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
hmmmm....why are some of you asking if they 'HIT' their children??? Now if they, or anyone is HITTING their children, child services should be called. But if you mean spanking/discipline...well that is another matter entirely
you are right, I was sorta wondering the same, did this actually mean "hitting" as in smacking or are we talking a swat on the behind once in awhile???

Nita

Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Well, I'm opposed to hitting/spanking children. I know many people in this country are okay with it, but I'm not. Is it fairly accepted in Arkansas? We are interested in Fayetteville, but if it's common practice there, then I would reconsider. My child goes to a school now where the majority of the parents that I know do NOT believe in hitting children. Needless to say, there are never any fights in the school yard. I grew up in a neighborhood where most kids were hit by their parents( I was not), and it was very common to see boys fighting with each other all of the time. Anyway, this is getting off topic. I just feel more comfortable around people who practice modern parenting.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 PM

138 posts, read 368,981 times
I can't believe this has gone on for 12 pages. The family can live however they want as long as they aren't forcing their lifestyle onto the rest of us. Thats what makes America great, we have freedom to live out the American dream in whatever way we see fit.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
I can't believe this has gone on for 12 pages. The family can live however they want as long as they aren't forcing their lifestyle onto the rest of us. Thats what makes America great, we have freedom to live out the American dream in whatever way we see fit.
It has gone this far because it is an interesting and debatable subject. If for no other reason people are curious about unusual life styles. They are also, now TV stars which puts them in the lime light. Controversial subjects are always subject of debate. Does that help you understand why the subject continues to be discussed?

Do you feel the same way about the gal in Calif who just gave birth to 8 little babies? Should that also not be discussed because she is free to do as she choses?

Nita

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM

297 posts, read 1,299,837 times
Default Every child will have free will when they grow-up regardless of how they are raised.....

that is just a fact of God's creation, "yes", God's creation! I feel that the Dugger's are a missionary type of family and feel that being on TV can and will influence some families. No, they are not normal to most of the families in America, especially the really disfunctional families. I'd much rather watch the Dugger's than the Ozzy Ozborne type families any day. I'd really like to see a new show called, "The Dugger's meet the Goslin's". Now that would be a show!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and do you believe everything you see on TV? I am not saying they are not a happy family, what I am saying is you nor do I know if they are happy. I am sure with all your wonderful knowledge you seem to have, you realize that for every TV episode that is shot there are 3 or 4 more hours of tape.

You can call me judgemental, that is not my intent: I am only giving my opinion which I beleive if what these boards are all about. I would like to see where you think I am being judgemental, I simply am not convinced they are what they appear to be on TV.Nita
OK, you made your point:

1: You do not know whether they are a happy family or not.

2: You believe that no one outside the family members themselves can know for sure whether it is a happy family or not.

As for me thinking you are judgmental about the Duggars, I was going on this statement from you, "Yes, I am judging and probably should not" in a previous post.

We are all free to believe whatever we want to believe. My belief that the Duggars are, on the whole, a happy family is based on intuitive perception from watching the TV shows and not on any vague assumptions. I see happiness in their faces, hear it in their voices and my gut tells me it is all real and not pretense for the sake of a phony TV show that enriches the family coffers. That they have their ups and downs, their differences, their petty squabbles, I don't doubt. Such is part of family life and the human condition. That they have a strong and basically healthy family, I also do not doubt. I, for one, believe that we are seeing a family that is much more eufunctional than it is dysfunctional.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Sherrenee,
Since you know them so well, I would love to know how they get the children to be so unbelievably wellbehaved. Do they believe in , "spare the rod, spoil the child"? You never hear about that on the show.
In the almost 10 years that I have been around the family I have never seen them spank or yell at any of the kids. I have seen them pull them a side and talk to them, I have also seen them give them time out, but no spanking.

The kids are very well behaved! I would say they get the kids to behave by giving them respect and they remain calm. When a kid does something wrong they correct the child immediately by pulling them aside (they are usually in the same room as other people but they speak only to the child who has misbehaved) and speaking to them. They do not talk down to the child nor do they try to embarrass them.

As for the kids being happy... Yes they are happy. The kids are very much normal, they run around and play and get rowdy, don't want to do there school work etc just like any other kid. They are expected to be respectful and well mannered. The kids are exposed to a variety of different people from large families like themselves who are home schooled to your average everyday people (such as my husband and myself). The kids learn the basic general school courses, but they are also taught how to actually live and function in life (raising and caring for children, cooking,cleaning, working on cars etc).

By the way Jordyn was in the hospital due to having issues breathing (she caught a bug), she is home now and doing much better.

Last edited by sherrenee; 02-06-2009 at 11:16 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 AM

124 posts, read 321,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
they do NOT represent mainstream NWA in any way. That is a bad refelction on Arkansas as a whole
Bravo.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:40 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
In the almost 10 years that I have been around the family I have never seen them spank or yell at any of the kids. I have seen them pull them a side and talk to them, I have also seen them give them time out, but no spanking.

The kids are very well behaved! I would say they get the kids to behave by giving them respect and they remain calm. When a kid does something wrong they correct the child immediately by pulling them aside (they are usually in the same room as other people but they speak only to the child who has misbehaved) and speaking to them. They do not talk down to the child nor do they try to embarrass them.

As for the kids being happy... Yes they are happy. The kids are very much normal, they run around and play and get rowdy, don't want to do there school work etc just like any other kid. They are expected to be respectful and well mannered. The kids are exposed to a variety of different people from large families like themselves who are home schooled to your average everyday people (such as my husband and myself). The kids learn the basic general school courses, but they are also taught how to actually live and function in life (raising and caring for children, cooking,cleaning, working on cars etc).

By the way Jordyn was in the hospital due to having issues breathing (she caught a bug), she is home now and doing much better.
Thank you for responding. I'm glad to hear that they practice their own version of modern parenting I really respect that.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,342 times
I am new to watching the Duggars on tv. When I had my 4th baby at age 38, some people (even family members) looked at me like I was crazy....4 kids in my late 30's. What was I thinking? I was very much offended. My children are a blessing and they keep me young. I respect the Duggar family. I like a big family....maybe not as many as 18....but who am I to judge those who want and can take care of that size of a family. If the kids were abused and neglected, that would be something quite different. That, however, is not the case with this family. In fact, I think this world is in serious need of some morals, faith, and love. Why do good things have to be scrutinized and twisted to look bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers