Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM

16,361 posts, read 30,066,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Using scientific method, these are theories. They may be disproved at some point.

Al Gore states the global warming causes evolution. The consensus of scientists on the take make this a reality.

Since when does consensus equal reality?

For years, surgeons work on patient after patient without washing their hands.

For years, people conjectured that the universe revolved around the earth.

Oh, I know that there are talk shows that say that all scientists buy into the global warming theory. However, there are quite a few respected scientists who don't agree. However, when does saying "everything is alright" get good ratings.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,734,163 times
Get this thread back on track. Any additional commentary on global climate change, evolution/creation/ID or other OT controversial topics will be deleted! Thank you, you may now resume your regularly scheduled foruming...

Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
Anyone who watches the Duggers knows how they make their living. Renting out their properties,having a cell phone tower on one of their properties that they lease to several cell phone companies. Jim Bob's mom and dad lived with them then last year his dad died of a brain tumor i believe and his mom still lives with them. As for church, they have a home church and have other people come over. I admit that they are not an average family but, it works for them. I don't agree that the older kids have a younger child as a buddy and are basically responsible for their everything but it seems to work for them.Just looking at them you can tell that they are happy healthy and loved. Some people with 1 or 2 kids can't say that. So Dugger family, as long as your willing to let us in your lives,people will watch.My good thoughts are with all of you and baby Josie.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM

541 posts, read 1,334,737 times
happy familly???i heart different behind the scenes..americans should generally stop being so naive and believe everything,what they see on tv..what they see on tv, is the best,what the familly has to offer for the show,sugarcoated,hollywood style...but behind the scenes there is a lot of stress,fights and chaos pur,what is normal,if so many persons live together...i do not like them,because what they are doing (in the name of religion or not)is not ok..if you put children in the world,take the responsability for them...but in this familly the older kids get a lot of responsabilities from the shoulder of the parents..too early they strat to take care of their siblings and raise them...a child must remain a child and not be put in the position of parenting the other siblings,because the parents are not capable to supervise all the children properly alone..nobody forced them to put soo many children in the world...

i do not like them at all,they present an image of familly,that is sugarcoated,they should present the real reality in their life,what tehnician and all teh tv crew people really see and not what the producers allowed to be presented on tv..it looks like,they are all happy and well behaved and everything is great...oh well,the reality looks different...to decide for the 18th child is absolutely brainless and degradating for a woman and her body,not to talk from the health issues,that can occure (and occured at the 18 th child)for mother and child...

and the other finacial aspect more children you have ,the poorer they are and less the possibility to give them a great education...they have enough money from the show,but i noticed in usa,parents decide to have children,when they are not capable to support them,neither emotional ,nor financial..a child is ahigh expense in usa and to get him thorugh life (medical care ,cloths,food,living) and college hier,is a high expense,that not many can afford...less money i have,less chances the child has in life to get a better education,better health care and a better life,better living...people should think about this,before puting so many children in the world in usa..hier is not europe,where child education,university is free..or like in germany,where children even get childmoney from state..in this state tehre is not much left for children,not even a free health system...have a child in usa is a high step and i notice many americans are not aware of this..hier in california i see soo many frustrated mothers...it is really sad...but nobody forced them to have more then one child...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,842,982 times
Think about all the carbon emissions these kids put out. They are destroying Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
happy familly???i heart different behind the scenes..americans should generally stop being so naive and believe everything,what they see on tv..what they see on tv, is the best,what the familly has to offer for the show,sugarcoated,hollywood style...but behind the scenes there is a lot of stress,fights and chaos pur,what is normal,if so many persons live together...i do not like them,because what they are doing (in the name of religion or not)is not ok..if you put children in the world,take the responsability for them...but in this familly the older kids get a lot of responsabilities from the shoulder of the parents..too early they strat to take care of their siblings and raise them...a child must remain a child and not be put in the position of parenting the other siblings,because the parents are not capable to supervise all the children properly alone..nobody forced them to put soo many children in the world...

i do not like them at all,they present an image of familly,that is sugarcoated,they should present the real reality in their life,what tehnician and all teh tv crew people really see and not what the producers allowed to be presented on tv..it looks like,they are all happy and well behaved and everything is great...oh well,the reality looks different...to decide for the 18th child is absolutely brainless and degradating for a woman and her body,not to talk from the health issues,that can occure (and occured at the 18 th child)for mother and child...

and the other finacial aspect more children you have ,the poorer they are and less the possibility to give them a great education...they have enough money from the show,but i noticed in usa,parents decide to have children,when they are not capable to support them,neither emotional ,nor financial..a child is ahigh expense in usa and to get him thorugh life (medical care ,cloths,food,living) and college hier,is a high expense,that not many can afford...less money i have,less chances the child has in life to get a better education,better health care and a better life,better living...people should think about this,before puting so many children in the world in usa..hier is not europe,where child education,university is free..or like in germany,where children even get childmoney from state..in this state tehre is not much left for children,not even a free health system...have a child in usa is a high step and i notice many americans are not aware of this..hier in california i see soo many frustrated mothers...it is really sad...but nobody forced them to have more then one child...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,190,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcid View Post
Anyone who watches the Duggers knows how they make their living. Renting out their properties,having a cell phone tower on one of their properties that they lease to several cell phone companies. Jim Bob's mom and dad lived with them then last year his dad died of a brain tumor i believe and his mom still lives with them. As for church, they have a home church and have other people come over. I admit that they are not an average family but, it works for them. I don't agree that the older kids have a younger child as a buddy and are basically responsible for their everything but it seems to work for them.Just looking at them you can tell that they are happy healthy and loved. Some people with 1 or 2 kids can't say that. So Dugger family, as long as your willing to let us in your lives,people will watch.My good thoughts are with all of you and baby Josie.
I'm tired of the demonization of smaller families and the glorification of super-large families like the Duggars. In reality, there are good families regardless of size and/or make-up (single, divorced, widowed, two parent, one parent, gay parenting, etc.).

I've done a lot of research online about the Duggars and quite honestly, they appear to be good human beings, but I am also convinced that they aren't just people who chose a different road because they are free bohemian spirits, rather, they are entrenched into the legalistic, patriarchal system ATI that Bill Gothard espouses. They are also Quiverfull. They are good people who are entrenched into a legalistic worldview that does not allow for many freedoms that we take for granted (including deciding how many children to have, etc.).

TLC has done an excellent job of putting NO focus on either of these facts even though the family has taken trips on their mega-bus to their home-schooling convention (read: ATI/Bill Gothard, etc.), their teaching curriculum is from ATI, and everything about them reeks of patriarchal principles. Fine, works for them....not sure if it works for the oldest girls who have been put in the role of au pairs as a teen-agers.

They did not choose to become full-time parents as young teen-agers and yet here they are and there are people who say, "so what, it works for them." I wonder how many of us would have appreciated having to be in full charge of our baby brothers and sisters as a teen-ager and would we have been equipped to do so?

The buddy sleeps in the same room as the older child. Does this mean that when the buddy gets sick in the middle of the night and starts puking all over the room or pukes in the hallway as they are trying to get to the restroom - does the older child have to clean it up, clean the buddy up or does Jim-Bob or J'Chelle have to wake up from their peace and comfort and attend to such? What about wetting the bed, having other "accidents" in the bed when they are sleeping or when they get sick? Who tends to that and cleans all of that up as well as cleans the child up and calms him/her back down and gets them back to bed??? This is part of the exhausting gruntwork that makes up parenting at times. In NO way, shape, or form, have I EVER made up kids to these difficult things for our younger children. Why? Because my husband and I are the parents, not our older children.

How easy it is for someone who has had a good night of uninterrupted sleep to come on here and say how this is not hard for the older girls who are in essence the full-time caretakers for their younger siblings (their buddies). This perturbs me the most. Everyone of us here who are parents or have taken care of younger brothers or sisters, nieces, nephews, etc. knows darn well that there are times that are truly trying and exhausting. Adults have a hard enough time coping with all of that and yet these poor teen-age girls get no choice in the matter. The responsibility is just foisted on them and you better like it. What a crock!!

Also, little buddies often have nightmares, fevers, upset tummies, etc. - who takes care of these situations? The older child assigned to the buddy or the parents? I've read that a few of the older girls have bags under their eyes and look visibly exhausted. I remember those days vividely as I have a large family with children from their mid 20's down to age 8. I often felt like a walking zombie because I was up with a child all night because they were sick or whatever. The child's care does not end at six months old when they become a buddy and are handed over to their young caretaker.

I realize that a lot of people remark on the good, almost perfect behavior of the Duggar kids. My reply is that it's easy to control your child's behavior when you have him/her convinced of your ultimate authority and that disobeying your parents and not complying fully is something that gets God angry and disappoints "God".

Many people use God and religion to control behavior; this is very common. Since they employ "JOY" (Jesus first, others second, yourself last) in their upbringing methodology, one can see how children will hold in their frustrations, their angers, their stress in order to appear "good" to God and their parents. This works and will work until something snaps in some or all of those kids eventually. It will happen, mark my words.

Who wouldn't want perfectly behaved kids who do everything according to the parents' whims? This is every parent's dream. The trouble is that teen-agers are evolving from children into adults and there is a large portion of themselves that is being ignored, that is not allowed to mature and develop. This is what's wrong. Their development and self-growth is being stunted. It is stunted on purpose as this is what the fundamentalist and patriarchal world is all about. The Duggars are part of that world, they are not just two people who decided to have a large family and la ti la ti da, all is well. There is much more to this, much more than than TLC or the Duggars will divulge. Why? Because the Duggar machine is a money-making product to both TLC as well as the Duggars, especially, Jim-Bob Duggar.

I'm reading a blog right now about a young woman who has just come out of her ATI/Bill Gothard upbringing and trust me, it's not pretty. There are ATI/Bill Gothard teen-agers and adults coming out of that world, and they all have a lot of scars, both inside and out.

To glorify the Duggars without really understanding what drives them is being naive and it is turning a blind eye to the real fact that their world is part of the patriarchal, fundamentalist, Quiverfull world which has very strong consequences for those that do not tow the line.

If I am allowed to recommend a site that gives insight into this patriarchal, Quiverfull world, I recommend There is no "you" in Qivering — No Longer Qivering.

Last edited by Donna7; 02-18-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 02:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:

Let's just say this: if you live here, in America why don't you move to Germany and if you live in Germany stay there.

I do not happen to understand their way of life either, I do not think they can be true parents with that many kids, but what right do any of us have judging them. They are not depending on the government for support, their kids will get the education they want I am sure and let me add, this crap about every kid needing a top level education to be productive and happy is just that: crap. By the way, yes, I come from a family with college degrees, heck my dad had 2 bach and 1 masters. My grandmother went to college in the 1800s and I have a college education, as does my husband and our 2 oldest grandchildren. I also will add, our middle child does not, she and her husband are happily married, are very bright and could probably buy twice as much as you would ever dream of having. Why neither ever graduated from college isn't important.

Nobody forces anyone to have a child or 2 or 20 for that matter. Just because you see moms that are frustrated doesn't mean they shouldn't have their children. Life is frustrating at times, this doesn't mean it isn't worth living. I don't think your soicalistic views are shared by most Americans.

In this wonderful country of ours we are free to decide if having a small family or a large family is best, or no children, if that is your choice, but no one should take it upon themselves to judge this family. Again, I do not understand it and I can't imagine why, except for their religious believes anyone would consider raising that many kids. Yes, they have to be very different and yes, it would be interesting to see how the children adjust to adult life, but I am not their judge and jury nor are you. Preach somewhere else..

Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM

100 posts, read 337,926 times
I am not going to get into this but i just want to say that i am proud of the dugger family for sticking with eachother and for the love that they all show.. I am also praying for the family and I hope that baby Josie will make a full recovery. She seem's to be doing well..

oh and i will say this... Let them live the life they want to live.. I think 19 kid's is a bit much but hey she wants that many and more.. Congrats to her and her husband!! I am all for it!!!!

Lovin' surprise

Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,770,855 times
Quote:
In Germany, do they teach schoolchildren to put at least a space after commas, ellipses and full stops?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
In Germany, do they teach schoolchildren to put at least a space after commas, ellipses and full stops?
Hey whatcha doin over on the AR board? We don't need people here who make sense???

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers