Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Will you question the mental health of that woman who just made the papers, in Flint Michigan, who has 10 kids (each by a different man), no job, no car, and who is on assistance programs, none of the baby daddys stuck around... She just recently had her 10th kid, at a time she was complaining about having no money.
I'll question that too. In fact I question a lot of things that are out of the norm. You should too. Wait, I'm sure you do.
I'm sure the Duggars are wondering what is wrong with people who use birth control or wait until they are drinking age to get married, or women who get their tubes tied after two or three kids. You think the Duggars don't judge or question? Please. My inlaws would make the Duggars proud. I live up close and personal with fundies. I know exactly how they think.
I never said Michelle was crazy. I said I question her mental health. There are a lot of things that can fall under the "mental health" category including depression, PPD,anxiety, fear. She has said herself that she feels God punished her with a miscarriage! She said after having a miscarriage was when she decided to keep having children to please God. Not that she wanted the kids. It's God who wants them to have so many. This sounds right to you? Because if it does, I question your mental health too.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM

30 posts, read 110,461 times
Smile I Love the Dugger Family!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
One thing I don't get, and actually very much offends me (due to the fact that the Duggar's are apart of my extended family) is some peoples desire to see the children fail. I must ask what kind of sick individuals are out there that would wish this upon children?
Sherrenee, I would not pay one bit of attention to those who want to see the children fail. Some people want others to fail to validate themselves. Ignore them.

There are millions of Americans that watch the Dugger's show and think the world of the Duggers. I think the Dugger children are well behaved, they are taught values, they are taught how to shop and save, they are taught manners, they are taught how to run a household. Their children are lovely. I just adore that family. I think their children are light years ahead of their peers.

The oldest son who is now 20 is engaged. Have you seen how he treats his fiancee? Opens doors for her, praises her, gives her flowers. And to think he is not doing these things to get a piece of tail but because he truly loves her.

I guess the Americans think it is normal for their children to come home after school and prop down on sofa and watch television or play video games, not pick up after theirselves, and wait until mom comes home from work to make dinner and do their laundry.

GO DUGGERS. Thank you for sharing with the world your family so we can learn from you.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Moderator cut: removed off topic paragraphs On TV, the Duggars are portrayed as a loving Christian family - which they are. However, why doesn't the Duggar show bring up or explain the Duggar's association with the Quiverfull movement, or their association with Bill Gothard? Why are they portrayed as the average American family who just happen to have 18 children? They don't have 18 children by accident; it's all part of towing the line of the Quiverfull movement. In marketing terms, the Duggar show is what's called a "Cash Cow" to the channel. Follow the money trail, and you will almost always find the answer.

I just hope that people realize that there are many, many families out there are large as the Duggars and sometimes larger, who are struggling very hard to makes ends meet, where the children are taking care of the other children, quitting school because they fall so hopelessly behind in homework because they have so much responsibility straddled on them, where both parents are burned out to the max working very hard to support and raise their large brood. I think it is a big slap in the face to all of those people who know what it's really like to stretch each and every dollar to it's breaking point because they have to, of seeing their family go hungry because there just isn't enough to go around, of having their kids wear rag-a-muffin clothes that others have left at their door step, of having to go to food banks trying to get anything to put in their cupboard and refrigerator and the list goes on.

Last edited by leorah; 01-25-2009 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 01-25-2009, 05:46 AM

41 posts, read 178,431 times
Someone stated Extreme Home Makeover built their house.
If my memory is right, and it usually is, the Duggards had been building their home for some time when the Discovery Channel or The Learning Channel helped them finish the construction and decorated it for them.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Moderator cut: removed off topic paragraphs On TV, the Duggars are portrayed as a loving Christian family - which they are. However, why doesn't the Duggar show bring up or explain the Duggar's association with the Quiverfull movement, or their association with Bill Gothard? Why are they portrayed as the average American family who just happen to have 18 children? They don't have 18 children by accident; it's all part of towing the line of the Quiverfull movement. In marketing terms, the Duggar show is what's called a "Cash Cow" to the channel. Follow the money trail, and you will almost always find the answer.

I just hope that people realize that there are many, many families out there are large as the Duggars and sometimes larger, who are struggling very hard to makes ends meet, where the children are taking care of the other children, quitting school because they fall so hopelessly behind in homework because they have so much responsibility straddled on them, where both parents are burned out to the max working very hard to support and raise their large brood. I think it is a big slap in the face to all of those people who know what it's really like to stretch each and every dollar to it's breaking point because they have to, of seeing their family go hungry because there just isn't enough to go around, of having their kids wear rag-a-muffin clothes that others have left at their door step, of having to go to food banks trying to get anything to put in their cupboard and refrigerator and the list goes on.
I'd never heard of Quiverful, but googled it after your post. Did you see the wedding special last night? Josh, the oldest Dugger child, married Anna. In their marriage vows they promised to leave the number and spacing of their children up to God. Isn't Anna from a large family, also? I felt sad when they showed the run down mobile home that they live in.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 AM

35 posts, read 132,699 times
from what I understand yes Anna is from a large family also. Again I will state that I am no one to judge the Duggars or any other family. (people may judge me~my daughter is adopted from Guatamala)

From what I got just from watching "A Very Duggar Wedding" Anna's father was a missionary that is why they don't have a "home" church. Yes the Duggars do follow certain beliefs~very very modest! If you watched the shows leading up to the wedding and the wedding itself you will see that Josh is all about the sex. He wanted a short engagement and he couldn't wait to leave the reception. I am not saying that anyone should go out and screw around before marriage(I did) but that is all that was on the kids mind! I am still in awe that Jim Bob waited until his son was 20 years old and about to get married then he gave him the birds/bees talk!

I agree with another poster...the older children have no clue as to what they like when it comes to raising the younger ones. If you watch the program the family pretty much only associates with other large families who have their same beliefs. The children are not out in the real world to experience other things~which I find very scary. These children will be the ones who when they do get a taste of freedom or the real world will rebel and go so far to the other end of the spectrum it won't be good. I am not saying all the kids will but at least one will.

Everytime it is on I tell my husband who knows how much certain things that family does irks me....the train wreck is on I have to watch it. And that isn't a mean thing either. It is one of those comparisons...when you pass by a wreck you have to crain your neck to see what is going on. That is how I feel with the Duggars. Ok that is my 2 cents!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwantssouth View Post
from what I understand yes Anna is from a large family also. Again I will state that I am no one to judge the Duggars or any other family. (people may judge me~my daughter is adopted from Guatamala)

From what I got just from watching "A Very Duggar Wedding" Anna's father was a missionary that is why they don't have a "home" church. Yes the Duggars do follow certain beliefs~very very modest! If you watched the shows leading up to the wedding and the wedding itself you will see that Josh is all about the sex. He wanted a short engagement and he couldn't wait to leave the reception. I am not saying that anyone should go out and screw around before marriage(I did) but that is all that was on the kids mind! I am still in awe that Jim Bob waited until his son was 20 years old and about to get married then he gave him the birds/bees talk!

I agree with another poster...the older children have no clue as to what they like when it comes to raising the younger ones. If you watch the program the family pretty much only associates with other large families who have their same beliefs. The children are not out in the real world to experience other things~which I find very scary. These children will be the ones who when they do get a taste of freedom or the real world will rebel and go so far to the other end of the spectrum it won't be good. I am not saying all the kids will but at least one will.

Everytime it is on I tell my husband who knows how much certain things that family does irks me....the train wreck is on I have to watch it. And that isn't a mean thing either. It is one of those comparisons...when you pass by a wreck you have to crain your neck to see what is going on. That is how I feel with the Duggars. Ok that is my 2 cents!
you make some good points. I know, I am not judging them as much as wondering why they have chosen the life they have and I do question anyone who says they are happy, Michelle loves being pregnant,is a normal person and the family is very normal. Again, I have to say "no they are not normal". This doesn't make them good or bad, but they are not normal.

Someone memtioned this is no different then families in the olden days. I totally disagree. Even they families with 18 children were not common,large families yes, 18, still unusual. My grandma did come from family of 14. I will add, they were farm workers and devout Catholics..The large families in the 19th and early 20th century were needed to help in the fields and farms plus birth control was not perfected. Neither of these situations exist today. Who knows, the kids may all grow up to be just like mom and dad if they have no exposure to the rest of the world..I would think this will not be the case, at least not all of them..

Nita

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM

34 posts, read 191,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
They actually don't live in Fayetteville. I think they are in Tontitown. They do not represent the norm in NWA.
They are not the norm. Never saw them at the spaghetti festival though...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM

10 posts, read 34,374 times
Default Marketing 101 wake up people

Everytime you sit down and watch their show and fund their lifestyle.

Look over at your child or children that you should be spending quality time with...aka couch potato

Everytime you sit down and watch their show think about what educated reading you could be doing in the tv watching time.

You guys are Moderator cut: inappropriate comment funding their life style living.

Read, Play with YOUR KIDS, Ride a bike, volunteer.....Why are you funding Reality TV Shows...

True christians do not need to thump, or be on T.V. or sell books, or make wedding specials.

VERY FEW TRUE CHRISTIANS. CHRISTIAN THAT FOLLOW THE BIBILICAL WAYS GIVE DO NOT HAVE MATERIALIST GOODS AS NEW HOME, PIANOS, VIOLINS, ETC... THEY GIVE ALL THEIR MONEY TO THE POOR.....I CAN ONLY NAME A FEW MOTHER TERESA.

THE DUGGARS ARE MEDIA GREEDING HIPOCRATS....MICHELLE PUTS THE BOOK IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA EVER CHANCE SHE CAN....BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK.

YOU ARE FUNDING, JIM BOB, A TRUE MARKETING POLITICAN AT THE FINEST, AND YOU ALL FELL FOR IT. SHAME ON YOU.

PATHETIC....

Last edited by leorah; 01-28-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times
I think some of us are envious of their purity and joy. We actually enjoy watching/learning the way they parent. They have order, love and an incredible amount of patience with their children. The children seem to generally like each other and have fun together. You can tell they aren't around bulllying and peer pressure that you can find in the school system. For those of us that have raised teens, you know how challenging those years are for just those reasons alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers