Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if this town is all its cracked up to be? Does it have the amenties to keep a retirement happy and healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM

77 posts, read 238,880 times
Well it depends what you want from retirement? Retirement is usually defined by the people you surround yourself with rather than location. A location based retirement cane easily become a self imposed prison.

Fayetteville revolves around a transient student population, the high turnover rate limits its amenities and the youth defines it. The area is not urban so personal mobility is defined as the car and self isolation is easily possible.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
It depends on what you are looking for? If you want to enjoy the arts (to some extent) are a college sports fan and like to experience good dining and some activities, yes, all of NWA is great for retirement. The weather, normally is mild, with humid summers, but nothing like the deep south and cool winters, again nothing like the north.

Medial facilities are plentiful, there is a lot of walking trails, water sports and golfing plus you will find a good mixture of old and young. Of course the main center of Fayetteville is occupied by the university thus you will see young people everywhere and Fayetteville is more liberal than the rest of NWA.

I would suggest you visit, not just Fayetteville but surrounding areas like Bentonville and Bella Vista.

Nita

Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
Doesn't Fayetteville have free university courses and bus travel for seniors?
Isn't the area about an hour or so from Branson?
But what is considered good dining in that area? Are there lots of mom and pop type restaurants or are we talking chain restaurants?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Doesn't Fayetteville have free university courses and bus travel for seniors?
Isn't the area about an hour or so from Branson?
But what is considered good dining in that area? Are there lots of mom and pop type restaurants or are we talking chain restaurants?
I don't know about the first question, possibly but I really don't know.

Fayetteville is closer to 1.5-2 hours from Branson depending on if you drive like me or my dad.

Fayetteville has a wide array of restaurants, both ownership profile and menu offerings. There are plenty of locally owned sole location and/or small chain (5 or so locations in the near vicinity) with plenty of national chains. I can't really think of many locally owned establishments in Fayetteville proper that I'd consider mom and pop though. These locations are typically owned by local professional restaraunteurs. Go to Rogers and Bentonville though and you'll find more of the "mom and pop" style.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I don't know about the first question, possibly but I really don't know.

Fayetteville is closer to 1.5-2 hours from Branson depending on if you drive like me or my dad.

Fayetteville has a wide array of restaurants, both ownership profile and menu offerings. There are plenty of locally owned sole location and/or small chain (5 or so locations in the near vicinity) with plenty of national chains. I can't really think of many locally owned establishments in Fayetteville proper that I'd consider mom and pop though. These locations are typically owned by local professional restaraunteurs. Go to Rogers and Bentonville though and you'll find more of the "mom and pop" style.
AQ Chicken is kinda Mom & Pop. Originally in Springdale, with a newer restaurant in Fayetteville. A Taste of Thai with restaurants in Bentonville and Fayetteville, pretty Mom and Pop (and ask them to go "above 5" to truly get some Thai heat in your entree). Monte Ne Inn in Rogers(kinda)--absolutely mom & pop (family-style chicken dinners, doesn't get more Mom & Pop than that). There are literally dozens of Mexican restaurants that would qualify as mom & pop restaurants, even those with multiple locales. Across the Creek Seafood in Garfield (from crawfish to catfish to lobster). Blackboard Cafe in Bella Vista (an expensive little cafe). Doe's (great, big steaks). Wesner's Grill in Rogers. Rick's in Fayetteville. James at the Mill in Johnson, with nationally known chefs and very fine (and expensive) cuisine. The restaurants in NWA run the gamut, truly.

I don't think I could get to Branson in less than 1.5 hours, and I drive like a maniac. But the highways going into Branson make it easier and faster than it was even a few years ago.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM

both DC and stormcrow are right, closer to 2 hours to Branson, but still not a bad drive. Yes, you will get all kinds of dining, both local mom and pops plus the small and large chains. Within a 1/2 drive you can get almost any type of food you may want. Lots of southern cooking, asian, vegetarian, good steaks, pizza and other Italian types, whatever...

I do think they have university classes for seniors, but can't swear to that.

I truely can't think of much of anything NWA does not offer..

Nita

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
both DC and stormcrow are right, closer to 2 hours to Branson, but still not a bad drive. Yes, you will get all kinds of dining, both local mom and pops plus the small and large chains. Within a 1/2 drive you can get almost any type of food you may want. Lots of southern cooking, asian, vegetarian, good steaks, pizza and other Italian types, whatever...

I do think they have university classes for seniors, but can't swear to that.

I truely can't think of much of anything NWA does not offer..

Nita
I don't know if I'm saying this right, but I'm going to try to anyway. What I think NWA does not offer is the depth of cultural entertainment venues. I think the ACO and WAC do a great job, and I think the amateur groups like the Rogers Little Theater are wonderful. I love our new baseball team and the stadium in Springdale. But the population size in NWA doesn't support the entertainment venues in cities like NYC or Boston or Dallas or Minneapolis. And people who move here expecting similar amenities are disappointed. But, and I've said this before, culture is all around us. Art is not confined to sculpture or paintings, it's in the homemade quilts and rugs that are made and sold here. Poetry isn't just in books and university poetry readings and coffee house call-outs, sometimes it's in an elderly person recalling what the White River was like before it was dammed up. I think that when people from more urban areas move to more rural areas, they need to learn to scratch beneath the surface. NWA hasn't built up yet, but we have a strong foundation.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know if I'm saying this right, but I'm going to try to anyway. What I think NWA does not offer is the depth of cultural entertainment venues. I think the ACO and WAC do a great job, and I think the amateur groups like the Rogers Little Theater are wonderful. I love our new baseball team and the stadium in Springdale. But the population size in NWA doesn't support the entertainment venues in cities like NYC or Boston or Dallas or Minneapolis. And people who move here expecting similar amenities are disappointed. But, and I've said this before, culture is all around us. Art is not confined to sculpture or paintings, it's in the homemade quilts and rugs that are made and sold here. Poetry isn't just in books and university poetry readings and coffee house call-outs, sometimes it's in an elderly person recalling what the White River was like before it was dammed up. I think that when people from more urban areas move to more rural areas, they need to learn to scratch beneath the surface. NWA hasn't built up yet, but we have a strong foundation.
actually I think you said it fine. No, true culture as in NY City performing arts, top entertainment like you might get in San Francisco, baseball like you can find watching the Dodgers in Los Angeles or outstanding dining like Las Vegas does not exist here. But I feel we have a good mixture of activities, something for everyone, great outdoors living without the hussle bussel of a metropolis. Thus we have a great place for seniors to live out their lives.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers