Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,218,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bolt Fan View Post
I appreciate your honesty. I'm sure we will see and maybe hear more of it when we get there. Oh well. We will be looking around where to stay. Thankfully we won't have to buy any place at first. You mentioned the far NE part of the state did you mean the far NW part?

No - I'm sorry - the far NE side is delta, and very....ummmm...conservative except for Memphis, but of course that would not be in Arkansas, so I don't know why I'm babbling about it. Ft. Smith is west central - the NW corner around Fayetteville or up north central around Eureka has a much more diverse and tolerant population...Little Rock's okay, too. I'm in the river valley, around Russellville - we have several interracial couples and I don't notice any stares or anything - then again, I don't pay attention - but I would imagine it's there, and I think Ft. Smith and Russellville are about the same climate in a lot of ways - more blue collar and people whose families have been in the area since the beginning of time. It's changing - we'll catch up to the rest of the world one day - but right now I'd say conservative would be a conservative word for it.

If you make it to Russellville, give us a shout before you come -we'd love to meet up with folks moving to the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseaker View Post
Lets not beat around the bush, there are few places in this country that and interacial couple are not an issue. Most people will not say anything but they will talk behind your back.
and is it not a white thing, I was raised in the south and in the black comunitys they do not like mixing much more than the white comunitys.
parts of arkansas you may get beaten, like harrison, which I was told when there that there is an unwriten sundown law, be out ni$$r by sun down or you will never leave.
Some towns may be more tolarant of this than others but it is never a cake walk.
I say eurika springs would be your best bet, the gay comunity is big there and they are much more tolarant of others because of what they have and are going through.

Truth, let's seek some truth here - first, are you a resident of Harrison, or even of Arkansas? If not, please kindly shut your mouth. You know not of which you speak. Every area of the country has pockets which are less tolerant, but I am TOTALLY SICK of people talking about hangings and cross burnings and sundown laws. That is total BS. As I have told MANY, MANY other posters - do you not think with the hate crime law that just MAYBE someone would pick up on this if it were happening? Yes? Well - this just in and hot off the press....it's not happening here. In today's litigious society, even a wrong look can land you in court....good grief almighty.

Eureka has it's own appeal, and things may be easier there than Bella Vista...but if you don't live in Harrison and know this stuff you're spewing to be fact, then you need to back off. "You were told".....and that's how rumors perpetuate themselves. Boo hiss on your revelation.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,603,310 times
Quote:
Lets not beat around the bush, there are few places in this country that and interacial couple are not an issue
I would say that the exact opposite is true. Maybe your life experiences have confined you to certain types of areas.

Quote:
...parts of arkansas you may get beaten, like harrison, which I was told when there that there is an unwriten sundown law, be out ni$$r by sun down or you will never leave.
Get the F outta here! You can't be serious. I can't fathom that to be even remotely true

....what is it like 1823 in Arkansas?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM

It is not true and truth must be related to FlipperX, who can't find anything nice to say about anything or anywhere.

This is the most absurd thing I've read in a while....neg. reps to you, truth...sorry, but this is just over the top.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 PM

60 posts, read 239,841 times
Default Interesting Thread

I am a black female married to a white male whose parents live in Bella Vista. They have practically begged us to come out and visit them, but with three small children (and my own personal knowledge of ignorant folks - I'm from 'bama) I'm scared to go. I told my husband to go alone but he's not keen on AR either for different reasons.

After reading some of the replies on this thread, I think my in-laws will have to be content with visiting us every summer. It's a shame, though, because I have heard it's beautiful there.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 PM

BG -

I am so sorry to hear that...you might raise some eyebrows, but there is absolutely no need to be frightened. My goodness. I live in Russellville - my cousin is a white male married to a black woman with 2 beautiful boys. He's raised eyebrows all his life, but his wife is neither frightened to come to Russellville or most anywhere in the state. Do people look? Maybe...yeah, probably....so? You've been glared at before, I'd betcha - and that's the worst that would happen.

I hate it that all this negativity is being raised - I really do. Maybe I don't get out enough, but I just do not see what the hubbub is about. Other than NMNita, who only said LIVING in BV might be more difficult, the rest of this stuff is just terror tactics by the uninformed and ignorant. I certainly cannot presume to understand what it feels like to be in your shoes but I can say - this kind of ridiculous behavior isn't tolerated by the masses, I don't think.....and you staying away can only feed their strange notions.

Very, very sad that this state has such a backward reputation. Oh well - I will be the one man meet and greet committee, I guess! In the meantime, on behalf of the other gazillion of us in the state who have progressed past the 1950's, let me extend a big "I'm sorry".

Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 PM

38,981 posts, read 50,923,768 times
We are an interracial couple with a mixed race kid. We own vacation property in OK near Ft. Smith, AR and have visited often, traveled around the general area, and never had any problems with anyone in either OK or AR (or MO for that matter). I don't know if anyone is talking behind our backs, and we really don't give a darn if they are. But like I said, everyone we meet around there is friendly, talkative, and helpful. It would be a real shame if you did not allow your kids to spend time with their grandparents because of posts on this forum. Go and see for yourself. You will do just fine there. It's not anything like you have imagined or fear.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We are an interracial couple with a mixed race kid. We own vacation property in OK near Ft. Smith, AR and have visited often, traveled around the general area, and never had any problems with anyone in either OK or AR (or MO for that matter). I don't know if anyone is talking behind our backs, and we really don't give a darn if they are. But like I said, everyone we meet around there is friendly, talkative, and helpful. It would be a real shame if you did not allow your kids to spend time with their grandparents because of posts on this forum. Go and see for yourself. You will do just fine there. It's not anything like you have imagined or fear.
Ponderosa, THANK YOU!!!! You've made my day!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergranola View Post
I am a black female married to a white male whose parents live in Bella Vista. They have practically begged us to come out and visit them, but with three small children (and my own personal knowledge of ignorant folks - I'm from 'bama) I'm scared to go. I told my husband to go alone but he's not keen on AR either for different reasons.

After reading some of the replies on this thread, I think my in-laws will have to be content with visiting us every summer. It's a shame, though, because I have heard it's beautiful there.
Iceratainly wouldn't let that stop me from visiting your in-laws. visiting and living in an area are 2 different things. If I were a mix marriage would I chooses Bella Vista to live? Probably not, there are other areas that might be more accepting, would this stop me from visiting? No.

Nita

Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Sam why yes, I was a resident of harrison, and it is as true as rain that there was a sign that said out by dark, till the seventys, and I have talked to many people who said it is an unwriten truth, you can just go there [obviously you have not] and ask around, as I have, and people will tell you, the grand wizard of the kkk is headquarted in harrison, I guess you think he has turned over a new leaf and is holding hands with the rainbow coalition, singing coumbya, lol. Dont sit there and try to tell people that hate crime law make people stop and rethink what they do and feal. You are just trying to lie to people to hide the ugly truth.
Harrison is not a tolorant town, I was told by a woman in the old town square the people who steal should be stoned to death, as should gays, and adulturs. Wow, there is your town of love. I sold out of harrison and moved to eurika springs as it is much more tolarnt of other beliefs. If you are a down and dirty baptist and dance with snakes and drink poision as [mark the fairy tail says] than you will get along just fine.
but if you think for your self and do not dance to the beat of the christian drummer, look out, you will fit in like a nonwhite at a kkk rally. so samiam dont try to tell me what I have seen with my own eyes. it is total bull crap

There WAS a sign - there is no more - rumor has it the Grand Wizard is there....but truthfully, truth, when is the last time you heard of anyone being stoned, lynched, or beaten? Dancing with snakes? What kind of crack are you smoking this early in the morning? I'm totally proud you're still in the state....and thank you for making it such a welcoming place for all. And yes, as a matter of fact, I have spent a goodly deal of time in Harrison in the past 50 years....besides, this thread is about Bella Vista, which is 100 miles away frmo Harrison, so you've segued off into a rant and rave that has nothing to do with the original question.

I never said there wasn't ignorance, I never said there wasn't racisim - I feel the MAJORITY of Arkansans have evolved past the level which you describe and obviously live. However, since you are such a tolerant person, I'll publish the emails I received from you here and people can judge for themselves which of us is the more rational:

Private Message: harrison,
Today, 09:23 AM
truthseaker
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2007
2 posts, read 52 times

harrison,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you are so full of ****, I have lived in harrison and have experianced the racial crap that you say does not exist, there is a sundown law, and the grand wizard does live there. you think you can burry the truth? bull ****. harrison and other parts of the state you are not welcome if you are of other than white, or in some parts not from the area originaly. you are a lier and are trying to cover what truth is. so keep your bull crap up it will not cover the stink

Private Message: harrison,
Today, 09:26 AM
truthseaker
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2007
2 posts, read 52 times

harrison,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw, I am closing down my account, so if you mail me back I will not get it. but if you want to send a cyber mail to space and vent your venom go ahead. but I will not listen to your bull crap. did you marry your first cousin? arkansas is the land of opertunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers