Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am from Georgia and most people from Georgia that I have spoken to consider southern to extend to the mason dixon line and then west to the Mississippi, which would leave all of Arkansas out.
That would describe the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
Quote:
I am from Georgia and most people from Georgia that I have spoken to consider southern to extend to the mason dixon line and then west to the Mississippi, which would leave all of Arkansas out.
Yes, that would describe the southeast, but most consider Arkansas and Louisiana the south, or even southeast, as well. They were the south during the Civil War, and they are southern in every possible way.
Personally, I'll add Texas and Oklahoma to the list of southern states, although the western parts are less so.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM

165 posts, read 524,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Khan View Post
Thoughts?

I live in Siloam Springs and I feel NWA is more southern than midwest but not to the extent of say, Louisiana, Alabama, or even southern Ark.

I'd say NWA is something like 60% southern/ 40% midwestern
Siloam Springs 'feels' different than Fayetteville which 'feels' different than Bentonville which 'feels' different than Eureka Springs ...

Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 PM

73 posts, read 173,800 times
Quote:
hey have you ever been to arkansas come on even places like bella vista (which is about as northern as you can get in AR) is southern

Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think NWA is much more mid-western than Southern or maybe about 1/2 and 1/2. As for those from California re-locating here, they left Ca for a reason; most the reason was to get away from the Ca life style and return to mid America, both values and life style..

Nita
nwa is still in arkansas and arkansas is a southern state

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM

ever hered of atlanta its way bigger than probably all of nwa (population wise) and its considered southern and there are countless other major metropolotan cities below AR and they too are considered southern

Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.melcher09 View Post
nwa is still in arkansas and arkansas is a southern state
I am more referring to attitude, accents, etc. Yes, from what we learned in school (200 years ago) AR is certainly a southen state. The same is true with Texas and OK, but depending on where you live in the state the attitude and feeling can be very different. If you visit or live in the northern most part of Ok or AR the feeling is much more mid western. If you live in say, El Paso the feeling is southwest versus living in Tyler Texas which is very southern. This is why in some of these areas it is hard to determine what is what.

Nita

Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am more referring to attitude, accents, etc. Yes, from what we learned in school (200 years ago) AR is certainly a southen state. The same is true with Texas and OK, but depending on where you live in the state the attitude and feeling can be very different. If you visit or live in the northern most part of Ok or AR the feeling is much more mid western. If you live in say, El Paso the feeling is southwest versus living in Tyler Texas which is very southern. This is why in some of these areas it is hard to determine what is what.

Nita
i live in NWA tho the lower half so i guess that maybe its just where i live but the area is redneak USA lol ive also hered some pretty southern accents in fayettville

Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Definitely Southern.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times
Regionalism is dying. It's getting harder and harder to describe a place as solely 'Southern' or 'Midwestern'. Those descriptors don't work anymore. Rather, we have urban vs. rural. Huntsville AR, for example, may be in NWA near Fayetteville and Bentonville, but my experience in Huntsville is that it's much, much more like rural communities in south Georgia and Alabama than it is like Fayetteville.

In-migration into Southern cities is making it difficult to define cities purely in terms of geography. Southern rural areas, on the other hand, typically experience very little in-migration and often seem like relics from a time long past. (See Huntsville example.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers