Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 AM

9 posts, read 18,384 times

Advertisements

I want to move to NW Arkansas. I am a tree hugger, organic, yoga kind of girl with a large furry family. I work from home using land based high speed internet. I want a small farm for the animals. Eureka Springs appeals to me a lot but am unable to secure internet access outside the city limits.

Anyone have any suggestions????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9nan View Post
I want to move to NW Arkansas. I am a tree hugger, organic, yoga kind of girl with a large furry family. I work from home using land based high speed internet. I want a small farm for the animals. Eureka Springs appeals to me a lot but am unable to secure internet access outside the city limits.

Of course what you are seeking will not be easy to find. High Speed service and rural living do not always match. It is like 30 years ago when people lived in the country and wanted cable TV, or people in the rural areas wanting private telephones with no party lines, no operator interferance, etc in the 40s and 50s. You are right, Eureka Springs would be the best place for you. I can think of a few other small towns, but they are more on the conservative side. Maybe somewhere outside of Fayetteville would work. That is the only place in NWA I can think of that would fit into your somewhat alternative life style.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 08:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9nan View Post

I am rural to the point that if I wanted a pizza delivered, they have to air drop it to me.

I went through the same dilemma. Tried satellite for $60 a month and never got anywhere withing a football field of their stated 500k down. Plus they're capped at 5 gigs.

Went to Alltel wireless after that, and never looked back. Same $60 a month, average 1200k down, no cap.

I got a UM-150 modem which is super-small USB. I can plug it into any computer. When we go to Little Rock, my wife drives and I scope out what's going on in town from the web.

I love it.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 18,384 times
Thank you for the replies ....

I love Eureka Springs!!

I do not care one little bit about pizza delivery but the land based high speed internet is pretty important as my job depends on it. I have heard about the cell based internet service and it is interesting but I work on a secure network and one little hiccup and I am bumped off the network and few times of that and I would be fired.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:32 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
There used to be a service called the Wireless Institute in which you would put up a reciever on your roof and you would recieve Internet access broadcasted from a tower, but I don't think they are in business anymore. You may have to just use dial-up or go with DirecWay. The only problem with DirecWay is its expensive and you are limited to 168MB of downloads per day (which was ample in 1999 when the service started but is laughable today).

One thing they didn't have back when I was in this situation that they have today is wireless over your cell phone signal. You could check into that and if there is data service in your area you're in luck.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There used to be a service called the Wireless Institute in which you would put up a reciever on your roof and you would recieve Internet access broadcasted from a tower, but I don't think they are in business anymore. You may have to just use dial-up or go with DirecWay. The only problem with DirecWay is its expensive and you are limited to 168MB of downloads per day (which was ample in 1999 when the service started but is laughable today).

One thing they didn't have back when I was in this situation that they have today is wireless over your cell phone signal. You could check into that and if there is data service in your area you're in luck.
I hope she can find something that is totally dependable, but I think the thing here is, dependable service and a rural, alternative life style area.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 04:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope she can find something that is totally dependable, but I think the thing here is, dependable service and a rural, alternative life style area.

Nita
Well high speed internet coverage in rural areas is a lot better than it was just a few years ago, but its still kind of hit and miss. Not only that, most rural areas in Arkansas are very conservative and more than likely wont be what she is looking for.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well high speed internet coverage in rural areas is a lot better than it was just a few years ago, but its still kind of hit and miss. Not only that, most rural areas in Arkansas are very conservative and more than likely wont be what she is looking for.
My thoughts exactly. Actually we have much better high speed than we had in NM, not too far south of Albuquerque. I just think, the only area in NWA that might fit her needs would be the general Eureka Springs area. certainly no place right around here would work. I did mention Fayetteville, but that will not give her a small area to have her garden, etc. Many of the areas surrounding Fayetteville are still on the conservative side or not certainly not into the altrernative life style culture.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 09:41 AM

163 posts, read 616,709 times
She is looking for a land-based solution so anything wireless is out of the question for security reasons. I was in Eureka Springs yesterday and there are parts of it that are quite rural, but will be covered by DSL. And don't forget that this system may travel out of town for a mile or 2 (and maybe more). Give the local carrier a call and ask them about it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
She is looking for a land-based solution so anything wireless is out of the question for security reasons. I was in Eureka Springs yesterday and there are parts of it that are quite rural, but will be covered by DSL. And don't forget that this system may travel out of town for a mile or 2 (and maybe more). Give the local carrier a call and ask them about it.
good advise. We lived in an area south of Abq for 7 years, our nighbors just a block away didn't have DSL, but we did (after a couple of years) I too need it for work. I think within a few years everyone will have it or cetainly in Eureka Springs area. Yes, she needs to check with her provider.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers