Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM

94 posts, read 211,065 times

Advertisements

I used to drove for Swift Transportation (OTR) back in May 30, 2008-Aug. 15,2008 (wished I had more exp.) Considering what they were paying me, wasn't even worth it. I was getting pay .26cpm but only taking home $230 on aveage a week. Plus they didn't help pay for my school tuition cost, as they said they would. That's why I want to try better. Plus, the west coast is alot easier to get around, than the east coast.

Does USA Truck requires Hazmat?

Also, Does Arkansas gets alot of tourist in August?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbilt379 View Post
I used to drove for Swift Transportation (OTR) back in May 30, 2008-Aug. 15,2008 (wished I had more exp.) Considering what they were paying me, wasn't even worth it. I was getting pay .26cpm but only taking home $230 on aveage a week. Plus they didn't help pay for my school tuition cost, as they said they would. That's why I want to try better. Plus, the west coast is alot easier to get around, than the east coast.

Does USA Truck requires Hazmat?

Also, Does Arkansas gets alot of tourist in August?
If I had my druthers, I'd leave Arkansas every August, and go lie on a beach somewhere.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 AM

lol, everyone sure loves it. Try North Carolina beaches

Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
not lots of tourists, not like Brnason, but places like Eureka Springs are over flowing with visiters as are the camp grounds and lakes.

I don't think you will have to worry too much, remember you are not coming to sight see particularly and will be looking at things from a different persceptive.

Nita

Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Most likely not to sight seeing, of course would mind it. What else is there to do there besides to fish or camp? What kinds of resturuants are there in Eureka Springs?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbilt379 View Post
Most likely not to sight seeing, of course would mind it. What else is there to do there besides to fish or camp? What kinds of resturuants are there in Eureka Springs?
there are all kinds of restaurants in Eueka Springs but if you are coming this month be prepared for crowds like you can't beleive and the hotel prices will be pretty high.

Nita

Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Just by browsing the internet for pictures of Eueka Springs, Arkansas. All I can say is nice sceneries. Some great pictures for viewing too. Few crystal clear photos. Based on them, I already do like Arkansas. Definitely something to look forward to. Does Arkansas gets snow every year?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
I can't say that much about Tontitown as I've only passed through it, but I DID drive a truck for more than 30 years and I say this with assurance: NO trucking company which has to recruit all the time is worth a damn to drive for. There's a reason why they can't keep drivers and PAM is in that category. So is J.B. Hunt, Schnieder, Swift and just about every other big trailer-load carrier. Some of them have a 1000% turnover in a year and that's not by accident. They do it on purpose because new guys can easily be screwed out of their money and it increases their profits. They really don't care how long you stay with them as they can replace you with a driver recruited overseas tomorrow.

You've already got your CDL, so you don't have to fall for the old "We'll train you and give you job" routine, which does nothing more than make you an indentured servant, so you've got that going for you. It sounds like you have little, or no, actual truck driving experience, so that will be your biggest obstacle to overcome. It's not impossible, though. When I first started out in the late 60's and early 70's, I used to lie about my experience by claiming I'd been working for an owner-operator, but he died. That way, they couldn't check on it. But, with DAT and such, that's no longer possible. A more effective strategy I used was to just be completely honest. I'd tell them right up front that I was young, didn't have any experience, but was willing to learn at their hands if they'd give me a chance. You'd be surprised how well that works. EVERY trucking company is looking for good drivers and many are not slow to take on a new hand who offers promise. It's basically a selling job in which you're selling yourself and a lot of companies will respond to sincerity and honesty. Small produce haulers are a really good place to learn how to be a truck driver, not just a steering wheel holder. So are companies which do LTL deliveries in which you have to actually unload the truck. Nobody wants to do that, so if you're willing to work, you have opportunities which the lazy don't have.

My unsolicited advice? Forget the big carriers. Find a small company, with only a few trucks, and let them know you're willing to run double with an experienced driver until you learn their business, then make them the best, most dependable hand they've got. What that means is....be on time with your load, no matter what it takes to do it. You're young and, apparently, single so you don't need much to live on the road. You won't get rich, but you WILL get the 3 or 4 years experience you'll need to get the really good jobs later on. Use that CB to talk to other drivers and find out who the good carriers are.

And, by the way, forget driver recruiting services. They get paid for providing a warm body. Get out there and knock on doors, personally.

Last edited by stillkit; 08-13-2009 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,735 times
I worked for JB Hunt as a night driver dispatcher in the 1990's, and they didn't treat their drivers well. From what I understand of their current reputation, it hasn't gotten any better, so I would do a lot of reseach if you decide to go in that direction.

In the Bentonville-Rogers area, which is about 15 minutes north of Tontitown, rent is much cheaper than compared to much of the United States. It seems that you're single (please pardon my assumption if it's incorrect), so you should be able to find a one bedroom or efficiency for a comparitively good price (around $400, or perhaps lower, depending on the amenities).

In the immediate area, as far as things you can do, there is Devil's Den, which is about 40 minutes south of Fayetteville. It has fishing, hiking, caving, and spelunking. There are also several laser-tag businesses in the area. Eureka Springs is about an hour away. Hot Springs is about 3 hours to the south. There are innumerable small places to visit like Shores Lake, on the way to Fort Smith down the 540 (as well as the Pig Trail), and to the west is Oklahoma, Bingo, and legal gambling. There is also good inland scuba diving in both AR and OK.

Don't forget to go prospecting at the diamond mine in Murfreesboro (about 3-4 hours south)! - you very probably won't find anything, but it's fun trying.

In any case, best of luck to you, and please keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 AM

Okay, I will definitely keep you all posted.

Already still loving Arkansas, just by the photos on the web, everyone here gave me alot of ideas and ideals. Seems to me, it is worth it. I still haven't heard anything yet but, I will call them tomorrow. (08/14/09) Pray for me to have good luck.

By the way, I had on and off relationships, nothing major yet. Although, one of my previous girlfriend(s) wants to get married and have a family but, don't have any money to support her. Possible in 2 more years or so, but who knows. Sorry about getting off the topic.

Again, I will keep everyone posted and up-to-date. Be patience, as I am still making preparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers