Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 AM

165 posts, read 524,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmerNY View Post
If I did end up moving there, I would be a Penn State Nittany Lion alum surrounded by a pack of crazed Razorbacks!)
You'll be surprised ... sure there are many Arkansas grads working in the area but just taking a quick poll of my office in Bentonville, there are more grads from east coast schools than from within the state.

Purdue grad here but if you move down ya' gotta learn to say 'Whoooo Pig Suie!'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yes. I'm definitely an extrovert and will be there in a "sales" capacity. Like many companies, Walmart is our largest customer but we are also their largest transportation vendor so the job will come with exposue to many levels within Walmart. I'm not too worried about actually "meeting girls" as long as there is a dating scene with girls my age to do that (most of the limited info I've read seemed to indicate a younger college aged crowd and married 30 somethings). Now that you've had me think about it, I guess I'm really more concerned with the overall amount of "things to do" as I'm kind of used to getting my pick-depending on my mood that weekend- for any kind of bar, restaurant, symphony, theater, etc. Funny you mention the visit. At first they weren't going to give me the time because they don't like to have this position open to long without being filled. But I just found out that I may be allowed 4 days to go down anc check the area out before making a decision. That would be a HUGE benefit. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input and any other comments are welcome. (Dan, my major was Internatonal Politics which was Liberal Arts. If I did end up moving there, I would be a Penn State Nittany Lion alum surrounded by a pack of crazed Razorbacks!)
yep, the Razorback thing is a real one here, but at least you aren't an Alabama alum or something like that. There would be room for you, I can assure you. As for meeting others, let me give you this example which will give you a clue. I have a friend in NM whose daughter is about 40 and the daughter works for WalMart in Bentonville. She was divorced about 2 or 3 years ago, now just bought a home with her fiance who she met year in NWA.
There are lots of 20 somethings and 30 somethings working for the 2 or 3 major companies headquartered here. Hope this helps some.

Nita

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,355 times
LOL! Good to know and I'll try to remember that. Thanks to all for the posts. They are helpful. I don't usually use these forums but I'm going to check out the New York ones to see if I can return the favor to someone who might need some advice.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
LOL! Good to know and I'll try to remember that. Thanks to all for the posts. They are helpful. I don't usually use these forums but I'm going to check out the New York ones to see if I can return the favor to someone who might need some advice.
Great idea, these forums are not only fun but very informative. They are hear for us all to learn. I will admit, sometimes things get a little sticky, but all in all the forum is wonderful. I often wonder what we did without City-data, the internet or lots of the tech things we have become so dependent on.

Nita

Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDan View Post
Why did you leave Tyson? And, if you don't mind me asking, what division of the company were you in?

I only left Tyson because my husband (ex now) wanted to live by his family in Oregon. I worked in a division of accounting. I really loved working for that company. When I first started there, and was a young single mom needing groceries, they let me shop at their company store and gave me so much food that I had to rent a freezer, and that is a standard response for them when an employee needed help. I wish now that I could turn back time and work for them again. I am now a professional accountant, back then I was clerical. But it is hard to move cross country.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 33,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I only left Tyson because my husband (ex now) wanted to live by his family in Oregon. I worked in a division of accounting. I really loved working for that company. When I first started there, and was a young single mom needing groceries, they let me shop at their company store and gave me so much food that I had to rent a freezer, and that is a standard response for them when an employee needed help. I wish now that I could turn back time and work for them again. I am now a professional accountant, back then I was clerical. But it is hard to move cross country.

great, I will be doing accounting as well. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 956 times
Did you end up moving to NWA? I'm curious if you did and learning how your experience has been. I'm considering moving there and am a 40-year single professional woman. Professionally, I see opportunity. Socially, I am concerned. I realize that there are several activities and/or groups in which I could get involved. I My concern is that because I don't have children and NWA is full of families, will it be challenging to make friends who are in a family or mommy mindset? Also, for dating, did you find it to be easier/the same/more difficult than NYC?

Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnyc13 View Post
Did you end up moving to NWA? I'm curious if you did and learning how your experience has been. I'm considering moving there and am a 40-year single professional woman. Professionally, I see opportunity. Socially, I am concerned. I realize that there are several activities and/or groups in which I could get involved. I My concern is that because I don't have children and NWA is full of families, will it be challenging to make friends who are in a family or mommy mindset? Also, for dating, did you find it to be easier/the same/more difficult than NYC?
If you are outgoing and into joining groups there are lots of activities for singles, both young and old, as well as middle class. You just have to exert yourself. if you have hobbies or interests you will find a group that will be thrilled to welcome you into their circle.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 427 times
Default Being single in NWA

To Dan and NY Swimmer— NWA is a great place to live and raise a family.
But not the best place to be single in. I would say 70-75% married with families and then you have Fayetteville which is a college town and way to young. So my plan is ... as soon as my kids are in college, I’m out of here!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
i heard there's a lot of young professionals at "uptown" in fayettville. It's a fairly large upscale apartment complex near the fayetteville mall and the walmart super center.

From driving around there, I can say it's really nice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers