Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I ran a search and it came up empty, so here goes...

Does anyone know how I can go about getting information on FHA farms loans in Benton County? I get lots of info on home loans, but I'm interested in a farm.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I think you should try FSA loans.

Low interest, but you need 2 years of documented farming experience ( on your own) to qualify.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think you should try FSA loans.

Low interest, but you need 2 years of documented farming experience ( on your own) to qualify.
He's right.

There are a number of lending concerns that specialize in ag loans, but you're going to have to be able to whup some stuff on them.

How much land do you own? What's your experience level? What collateral do you have? What is your business plan? Is this going to be a food or a fiber farm?

If you're experienced, you know that ag is the toughest way to make a living, and your break-even is a long way off if attainable at all.

BTW, I'm close to the farming community around me (you might say), and the *only* new cattle concerns that have started in the last 10 years (And, of course, I'm excluding, "Here, son, you can have these 500 acres for a wedding present"), are the overly affluent from Memphis and Little Rock who need to show losses.

I know a lot of 3rd generationers that have told me for years that it is totally impossible to buy land and cattle now, and ever hope to break even in a single lifetime.

A lot of people return to the family farm with animal husbandry/field management science degrees to be able to be competitive with Japan, Brazil, and some of our other direct compeitors, and it takes that to get the working farms into the next generation.

OTOH, if you absolutely *have* to be able to write home about how you're covered with ticks & chiggers, write what seems like endless checks for tractor parts, fertilizer, and seed, and fill out the government questionnaires for the 5th time this year that assures them you are *not* raising poultry........

Small operations like blueberries or strawberries are viable, especially if you do "u-pick" along with the farmer's markets. Production time if you bust <elbow> is about 1-2 years. Extension office can educate you on fertilizer, disease, herbicides and pesticides that can be used and....if you want to fill out the paperwork....still be able to be called "organic". Folks love stuff that says "organic" or "free range".

Medium operations like Christmas tree production is viable, but realistic time to production on that is about 5 years.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers